Spaling and Polak to Sharks

J0e Th0rnton

WTF overpayment. I am not opposed to shoring up our defensive depth so we have a reliable 6th/7th if injury strikes. Demelo has shown vast improvement as the year goes on, while Tennyson has not, so having Polak to rotate with Demelo is ideal.

Spalling is more of a bottom line utility player and a C. Why are we getting another C? Please don't be thinking of trading Tierney DW. I love the kid, Having Thornton/Marleau/Couture/Tierney down the middle has been a BOON. With Pavelski/Hertl able to jump to C in a pinch.

We needed a backup goalie more than another 4th line forward who can kill penalties. Stalock has been so awful they are playing Jones on back to backs. If Reimer was a target it would make more sense.

But two 2nd round picks for this? Obviously dumping Torres had to be done to make the salary work, but a single 2nd for a bottom pairing UFA Dman would have been sufficient for the cap dump. Spalling

Tierney has been making chicken salad with chicken **** on that bottom line. Linemates like Zubrus and Brown are not exactly helping him score.

I have this foreboding feeling they are targeting another top 6 winger and a backup goalie and that Tierney, Wingels and Nieto might be what is being dangled

I think Spaling might surprise you. He has a lot more potential than he showed while playing for Toronto. Polak is going to be a great rental if nothing else and you managed to get Torres off of your payroll. Maybe a little expensive but depending on how deep you go this year, it might be worth it.

1 minute ago, flyerrod said:

I think Spaling might surprise you. He has a lot more potential than he showed while playing for Toronto. Polak is going to be a great rental if nothing else and you managed to get Torres off of your payroll. Maybe a little expensive but depending on how deep you go this year, it might be worth it.

Spaling would be a better option than Mike Brown yes. But we have Smith overachieving in the AHL right now, and a bottom line with Tierney/Zubrus/Karlsson or Nieto that has been the best looking 4th line we have had in years.

Spalling is not needed in any way shape or form and it makes no sense.

In a morning trade......Roman Polak

The Sharks today shipped the ghost of Raffi Torres to the Toronto Maple Leafs and two second rounders in exchange for hard hitting defenseman Roman Polak and competent bottom six forward Nick Spaling.

SpallingNick Spaling Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Toronto ... has been around the block, with the Predators and then with the Penguins he established himself as a heady forward who can kill penalties and can score a bit, he has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle with the Leafs this season, appearing in only 35 games with 1 goal and 7 points, but he can play a little. A poor mans Brandon Sutter if you will.

Polak has established himself as a competent nasty bit of goods who is a stay at home d-man who can hit with the best of thema nd will drop them when the occasion calls for it. 13 points in 55 games and one of the leagues best open ice hitters, on a bad Leafs team he has been a solid shut down d-man at plus 8.

Not a shabby return for 2 second rounders.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Spalling is not needed in any way shape or form and it makes no sense.

22 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I have this foreboding feeling they are targeting another top 6 winger and a backup goalie and that Tierney, Wingels and Nieto might be what is being dangled

Look at it this way, Spaling might not be there long enough to dawn a Sharks sweater if that is true.....

Just now, flyerrod said:

Look at it this way, Spaling might not be there long enough to dawn a Sharks sweater if that is true.....

If Tierney is a trade chip he would be. Suddenly Spalling would be needed as a 4th line C and Pker. Tierney has high value with his upside of 2nd line C, and to make salary work, more pieces would need to be moving than just Tierney. Probably Wingels

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

And I do like the Polak acquisition. I just think it is a bit of overpayment with a touch of WTF.

LOL. You got Polak for depth. Spaling is useless (based on what I saw in Toronto). He can serve popcorn. And have no fear, Toronto will probably screw up the draft pick selections anyway so those picks won't turn into anything decent. If you're going to lose a draft pick to any team it might as well be Toronto. Very safe.  :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. You got Polak for depth. Spaling is useless (based on what I saw in Toronto). He can serve popcorn. And have no fear, Toronto will probably screw up the draft pick selections anyway so those picks won't turn into anything decent. If you're going to lose a draft pick to any team it might as well be Toronto. Very safe.  :biggrin:

If Polak negates the idea Wilson has about needing a face punching hard hitting useless Mike Brown from the lineup, its is already a good trade in my book.

But I was hoping to see more movement on a backup goalie than another 4th liner. Stalock has been deflating

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

In a morning trade......Roman Polak

The Sharks today shipped the ghost of Raffi Torres to the Toronto Maple Leafs and two second rounders in exchange for hard hitting defenseman Roman Polak and competent bottom six forward Nick Spaling.

SpallingNick Spaling Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Toronto ... has been around the block, with the Predators and then with the Penguins he established himself as a heady forward who can kill penalties and can score a bit, he has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle with the Leafs this season, appearing in only 35 games with 1 goal and 7 points, but he can play a little. A poor mans Brandon Sutter if you will.

Polak has established himself as a competent nasty bit of goods who is a stay at home d-man who can hit with the best of thema nd will drop them when the occasion calls for it. 13 points in 55 games and one of the leagues best open ice hitters, on a bad Leafs team he has been a solid shut down d-man at plus 8.

Not a shabby return for 2 second rounders.

We posted the same thing at the same time, but in different forums lol. I posted it in trades + rumors

The Spalling addition vexes me. Mostly because I hope Wilson doesn't think it makes Tierney expendable.

41 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If Polak negates the idea Wilson has about needing a face punching hard hitting useless Mike Brown from the lineup, its is already a good trade in my book.

But I was hoping to see more movement on a backup goalie than another 4th liner. Stalock has been deflating

I believe we were posting at the same time, lol, i posted my thoughts in the Sharks forum, no idea how to combine the two (yours and mine). Here is my opinion.

Two second rounders, picks 40-50, a crapshoot. Maybe they pan out, most dont. Not much to give up really.

Spaling has frustrated me, I saw him as a middle six forward who can play any position, winger or center. He has taken steps back in recent years to where he is the 13th forward on the Leafs which is saying something as to how badly he has fallen off. I still think in the right situation with the right team he could find a role but time is running out, 4th team in 4 years.

Polak is a severely underrated d-man, one of the best hitters in the game who will drop the gloves, his numbers do not show up in the box score every night though he does have 13 points in 55 games which is not bad for a nice safe stay at home guy. He is plus 8 on an awful team which says something too. He wont get noticed every night which is a good thing. I really think he is a good solid under the radar pickup.

Just now, yave1964 said:

I believe we were posting at the same time, lol, i posted my thoughts in the Sharks forum, no idea how to combine the two (yours and mine). Here is my opinion.

Two second rounders, picks 40-50, a crapshoot. Maybe they pan out, most dont. Not much to give up really.

Spaling has frustrated me, I saw him as a middle six forward who can play any position, winger or center. He has taken steps back in recent years to where he is the 13th forward on the Leafs which is saying something as to how badly he has fallen off. I still think in the right situation with the right team he could find a role but time is running out, 4th team in 4 years.

Polak is a severely underrated d-man, one of the best hitters in the game who will drop the gloves, his numbers do not show up in the box score every night though he does have 13 points in 55 games which is not bad for a nice safe stay at home guy. He is plus 8 on an awful team which says something too. He wont get noticed every night which is a good thing. I really think he is a good solid under the radar pickup.

Literally 1 minute before you posted this, I posted that same thing in your post haha

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

We posted the same thing at the same time, but in different forums lol. I posted it in trades + rumors

The Spalling addition vexes me. Mostly because I hope Wilson doesn't think it makes Tierney expendable.

Spaling was a brilliant bottom six player with potential for more with the Preds, I have no idea why or how he has fallen so far so fast. This is likely his last chance.

Just now, yave1964 said:

Spaling was a brilliant bottom six player with potential for more with the Preds, I have no idea why or how he has fallen so far so fast. This is likely his last chance.

Deboer coached him before in juniors. Its possible he will fit better in Deboer's system than in Babcock's.

I just am terrified they are going to Trade Tierney, who I adore

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You could probably get Reimer easily enough. I don't think either of our two goalies will be back next year.  :ermm:

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Does that mean you see a buyout of Bernier in the summer. Or what? 

Yep. Bernier is gonzo at the end of the season, I guarantee it. The club can't trade him because his value is zero. Nobody is interested in Bernier. He has lost the fans in Toronto and has become the new Toskala. Thus, it's over for Bernier when the season wraps up. What happens to his career from there, who knows?

:unsure[1]:

53 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yep. Bernier is gonzo at the end of the season, I guarantee it. The club can't trade him because his value is zero. Nobody is interested in Bernier. He has lost the fans in Toronto and has become the new Toskala. Thus, it's over for Bernier when the season wraps up. What happens to his career from there, who knows?

:unsure[1]:

Trade him to the sharks for a 5th with 50% retained :)

Same as a buyout, but you get a 5th instead of nothing and only pay half his salary for 1 year.

Then we would have 2 former kings backups and he is not worse than stalock

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Trade him to the sharks for a 5th with 50% retained :)

Same as a buyout, but you get a 5th instead of nothing and only pay half his salary for 1 year.

Then we would have 2 former kings backups and he is not worse than stalock

How bad is Stalock? :blink[1]:

On 22/02/2016 at 5:31 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Just a competent backup will do for back to backs so we don't overwork Jones. 

And now you've got Reimer.  :cry:

The Leafs went from having a #1 goalie to having three AHL calibre goalies in Burnsya, Stalock, and Sparks. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccce. :rolleyes:

Archived