Marchand tossed for absolutely no reason whatsoever

yave1964

He is on my fantasy team and I will take the ten penalty minutes gladly but.......

Late in last nights frustrating 6-4 loss to the Bluejackets Brad Marchand was frustrated with his teams play, he was seen barking at Ryan Spooner on the bench at one point who sat facing straight ahead and nodding, Nobody else on the Bruin bench even looked at Marchand. He has taken over as the spiritual leader of a squad that makes up for lack of talent with an abundance of heart but against the physical rough and tough Jackets the Bruins wore down early and showed very little.

Carrying the puck into his zone, the play was whistled down for a high stick. Marchand had the puck on his stick and fired it along the boards after the whistle. Here is the play.

Marchand misconduct 2.22.16

Official Chris Rooney gave Marchand a ten minute misconduct and tossed him from the game. Really.

It has been posted in here recently about on ice officials who are making themselves bigger than the game, this was absurd.

After being tossed he headed down the runway and then started coming back towards the ice, filled with rage. Tukka Rask who didnt play last night grabbed him and held him to keep him from coming back towards the ice and face a suspension, Marchand screamed and cursed about the call and finally took his stick to the stick rack before going to the locker room.

So he carried the puck in on what looked to be a breakaway, it was whistled down for being played with a high stick, he fired it along the boards in frustration and got a 10 minute misconduct and was tossed. I am a big fan of officiating as a rule, the amount of abuse they take is insane, but they are getting worse every night.

Bullcrap call. The refs need to be knocked down to earth. They think they are the **** lately and should be knocked back into "no, son. You are the guys who get paid a bit to follow our rules and enforce them, not make up your own as you go"

Let me guess. it is the same dink ref who tossed Hedman from the game for the same thing? Although that ref claimed Hedman shot the puck at him(Puck never got within 5 feet of the ref)

I don't know.  I realize it's Marchand, and he has a bulls-eye on his back, but you see that 5 or 6 times a game every game.  What is the problem there?    He didn't fire it at a ref or at an opposing player.  He didn't incite something by firing it on net.  He harmlessly expressed natural frustration with the game.  Suck call.

At most that's 2 minutes. Seen similar happen to Rinaldo (Honest question: Has anyone ever seen another player get 10 minutes for chirping?). But since it's Marchand, I'll let the officials go on this one.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

At most that's 2 minutes. Seen similar happen to Rinaldo (Honest question: Has anyone ever seen another player get 10 minutes for chirping?). But since it's Marchand, I'll let the officials go on this one.

Honest answer: yes, many, many times. That's one of the things the penalty is for. But, in this case there was no actual direct chirping to the ref. Marchand's little hissy-fit was shooting the puck. Too bad the refs don't call this kind of thing more often and more consistently. It looks good on him.

29 minutes ago, BluPuk said:
21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is the recent ref behavior some kind of response to the Wideman thing?

Sorry, don't agree. Marchand should have grown up by now. Sucky move, and for once the ref got it right IMHO.

I understand the hate that some folks have for Marchand, but if we toss every player who has the puck on his stick and fires it across the boards in frustration at the whistle, well, that would shorten the benches quite a bit every night. It happens nearly every game at least once.

Rux, I thought about the Wideman thing, good question, are the refs exacting revenge for the hit on one of their own? I doubt if every single ref in the league would do that but it would not surprise me at all if a few of them have an agenda.

Whereas I find this hilarious and could not have happened to a nicer guy :ph34r: ,this is overboard. 2 minute call for delay of game should have been the most called on this play. I despise Marchand with a passion, but he certainly felt the wrath of self importance from Rooney on this one.

I got my team a bench minor for simply yelling: "call the slashing" to nobody in particular. Ok, it was directed at the refs to be sure, but in general. It wasn't even that loud. It's the kinda thing you say to remind them that you're paying attention and expect to hold them a tiny little bit accountable. Really, it'd designed to get you a make-up call later in the game, 'cause your're saying: "you missed one." 

I've probably yelled stuff like that every game I've ever played. Over 44 years that's like thousands of games. And never once have I ever gotten the team a bench minor. They scored, of course.

5 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Ridiculous call.  Not even sure how it could be a delay of game penalty; play was already stopped and the puck never left the ice surface(as far as I know).

Garbage....

Only reason I said delay of game was because he shot it away from the refs instead of letting it go or kind of stopping it for them to pick up. Even that is a reach.....heck if you are going to call that on Marchand, what would another player get for knocking someones glove away as they went to pick it up.......:cool[1]:

Not the same sport, but I remember being thrown out of a ballgame for looking at the umpire and pointing the end of my bat at chin height. Our manager came out to complain, and threw his hat at the umpire's foot, and was thrown out of the game, too. He was so livid that he dumped a bag of sunflower seeds all over home plate. Funniest thing I ever saw, even though nobody in the dugout dared laugh.

My 17 year old son got tossed from his high school game this year.  Watched his teammate get boarded, and injured with no penalty call; then he got a boarding penalty on a garbage call by the worst ref in the league(literally).  He told the ref he was missing a good game, and the ref gave him 10 mins, he then told the ref "go **** yourself".....and that got him the game misconduct.  :)

He told me what happened..I told him, don't ever do that again...and then I just laughed.  I was pretty much yelling the same thing from the stands at the guy.  :biggrin:  

I've told this story before, but.

One of the other Dads on my son's team was a surgeon.  He was notorious for baiting the officials.  One game, he was particularly loud.  Screamed at the refs.  A kid got hurt.  Our coach waved him down from the stands to tend to the boy.  As he climbed over the boards, the ref stares at him and says "Geezus, You're a doctor?".  Marty glares back and says "Geezus, You're a referee?".  

I don't know about "no reason whatsoever" - and we certainly don't know what Marchand might have been saying throughout the game. This could have been a "straw breaking the camel's back" with the refs.

Plus, as anyone in Boston will tell you, the refs have a bias against the Bruins :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't know about "no reason whatsoever" - and we certainly don't know what Marchand might have been saying throughout the game. This could have been a "straw breaking the camel's back" with the refs.

Plus, as anyone in Boston will tell you, the refs have a bias against the Bruins :ph34r:

Marchand chirps non stop, if they want to call him for that, so be it. But to wait and give him ten minutes for .......this. Absolutely uncalled for. This was not a penalty, if it is, then five guys a night would be penalized. This was going after Marchand for being a douche (guilty as charged your honor) or a ref who is full of himself.

On 2/24/2016 at 2:22 PM, blocker said:

I have no sympathy for Marchant.  But, the official should have told him to go get the puck.  If he did, then let it slide.  If he didn't, give him a minor.

I saw this in an AHL game this year.  Guy shot the puck to the other end and the ref pointed and yelled "Now go get it!".  No penalty.

On 2/24/2016 at 2:55 PM, DaGreatGazoo said:

My 17 year old son got tossed from his high school game this year.  Watched his teammate get boarded, and injured with no penalty call; then he got a boarding penalty on a garbage call by the worst ref in the league(literally).  He told the ref he was missing a good game, and the ref gave him 10 mins, he then told the ref "go **** yourself".....and that got him the game misconduct.  :)

He told me what happened..I told him, don't ever do that again...and then I just laughed.  I was pretty much yelling the same thing from the stands at the guy.  :biggrin:  

Like Father, Like son!

Archived