2016 World Cup of hockey : Team Europe

jammer2

Team Europe consists of players from all European countries with the exception of Finland, Sweden, Russia and the Chezh's.....those countries ice their own team. Team Europe will draw players from Norway, Germany, Slovakia etc, etc. This is a Hockey News article that attempts to predict which players will make the cut for team Europe. They actually have a decent team, goaltending a bit iffy, but some legit stars on this roster.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/projected-world-cup-2016-roster-team-europe/

I'm pretty sure this article contains other team predictions at the bottom, so I figured we could have a discussion here attempting to predict who will make the cut for which country.

It's an International tourny, so I thought putting it under IIHF was correct, but maybe it's a NHL sponsored event? Not sure, if it's not in the right forum, feel free to move it.

This tourny has the potential to be very, very entertaining, maybe just one cut below the Olympics, or perhaps even rivaling them. This sucker is gonna be fun from start to finish.

I"ll make a post for each team, allowing for conversation on potential rosters.

Team Finland....This team seems to be lacking depth, I think they were stronger a few years back. Not exactly chopped liver, but not elite either. Goalies....meh, Rask has rebounded, Rinne far to inconsistent and Let4in....ca ca.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/projected-world-cup-2016-roster-team-finland/

Team North America....very cool twist here. To make this team, you must be 23 or younger by October 1st. Awesome to see Ghost in there, but really, how could they possibly *not* include him? This team is just oozing with talent and speed. They will be a major force in the tourny.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/projected-world-cup-2016-roster-team-north-america/

Team Russia....

Loaded with elite talent at all 3 forward positions. The defense is a bit sketchy, not much depth there. The main reason why I don't think they will win, the goalies are stinky. Varly, Bob and Vasilivsky....all 3 are streaky and prone to collapse....good luck with that.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/projected-world-cup-2016-roster-team-russia/

There is NO WAY that some of these Russian D-men should be beating out Provorov for a roster spot. I know he's young and all, but damn...Tutyin and Zadrov over Ivan....WHAT A JOKE!!  So, they don't want a guy with physicality and wicked wheels....don't want a guy who can lug the puck up the ice, control the pace of the game??  Just a travesty of injustice. Hey, I get having a physical guy like Orlov on the team....I've always liked his hard nosed approach to the game....but these 7 are not worthy of beating out young Ivan.

Team Czech Republic....Forward are decent, but lack depth. I thought it was very cool they added Radko Gudas.....BUT...any team with Radko and Roman Polak on defense is gonna be glacially slow. Radko brings toughness and grit to the table, but Polak then has a redundant skill package. I would not let Polak anywhere near this team, on a bigger international ice surface, he will get burned, and burned large.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/projected-world-cup-2016-roster-team-czech-republic/

Mrazek seems like he will be the go to guy, but he is gonna be seeing a LOT of rubber with this defense. Neuvirth has been solid this year, but I think he lacks international experience. If Salak hits the nets, it will probably be a big steamy mess.

Just wondering out loud, is the kid team the only representatives for North America?  No Canada or USA squads??  Am I missing something here. I hope so, cause I really wanted to see the kids lay a whopping on the North American veterans.

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just wondering out loud, is the kid team the only representatives for North America?  No Canada or USA squads??  Am I missing something here. I hope so, cause I really wanted to see the kids lay a whopping on the North American veterans.

That's the first thing I thought of when looking at your posts.  No Team USA, No Team Canada, but both Team's Sweden and Finland and both Team's Russia and Czeck-republic?  What's with that?

But that is not the case  here team North America is a team from North America of only players 23 and younger.

Team Canada and Team USA's rosters haven't been written about yet by the Hockey News.

The teams were officially announced on September 10, 2015 by International Ice Hockey Federation and the teams are:

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

That's the first thing I thought of when looking at your posts.  No Team USA, No Team Canada, but both Team's Sweden and Finland and both Team's Russia and Czeck-republic?  What's with that?

But that is not the case  here team North America is a team from North America of only players 23 and younger.

Team Canada and Team USA's rosters haven't been written about yet by the Hockey News.

The teams were officially announced on September 10, 2015 by International Ice Hockey Federation and the teams are:

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing that up!

On 2/25/2016 at 10:08 PM, jammer2 said:

Projected Canadian World Cup Team: http://bit.ly/1TE93mu

So, only Canada and the U.S.A. can't use their young talent? Do I have that right? Man, I have to call BS on the rankings list then. What's the reasoning behind that? Is there any?

I want asterisks beside the U.S. and Canada. There are several players under 24 (is that right? 24?) who would and should be on any team with Canada or U.S.A. on their sweaters.

I can't imagine any team Canada going forward without Connor McDavid and several others. I can't imagine a team USA without Jack Eichel. Meh to you Bettman.

I'm also wondering why this is listed under the IIHF. Isn't this an NHL SNAFU?

I was not sure how to list it Blu....kinda confusing, especially since I heard that some KHL players might be able to play. I do think it's an NHL thing, but allowing international players outside of the league....if that happens, would make it IIHF>...no?

Team Czech Republic looks to have a good combination of scoring and hitting. Have a look at some of these guys who can potentially be a good offense, but also check the heck out of the opposition (not a full roster list, just some names that jumped out at me that fit the bill of scoring + hitting):

---Ondrej Palat (TB)

---Tomas Hertl, Roman Polak (SJ)

---Jakub Voracek, Radko Gudas (Phi)

---David Krejci, David Pastranak (Bos)

---Vladimir Sabotka (KHL, formerly of the Blues)

---Tomas Plekanac (Mon)

Not sure how well the goaltending will hold up, but if it does, these guys could be the bruisers of the World tournament.

Archived