Reimer to Sharks for Smith + Stalock + Conditional 4th(3rd)

J0e Th0rnton

Remember when I said Giving two 2nd's for Polak may have been Wilson intentionally driving up the prices of other Deadline Dmen?

That may actually have been the case. Reimer is worth more than what the leafs just got for him.

Maybe a handshake deal with Lou to mess with Dmen prices by making it seem like Polak is worth two 2nd's, but knowing in good faith that Reimer would be coming over next.

To SJ:
James Reimer
Roman Polak
Nick Spaling
Jeremy Morin

To TOR:
2017 2nd round pick
2018 2nd round pick
2018 4th round pick
Raffi Torres
Ben Smith

4 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

YEAAAAAAAH BABY

Actually who I wanted too!

I would have settled for Bernier with $ retained. But Reimer is way better

I never liked Stalock, players that age never develop. Okay never is not quite right, but such a small percentage that it is unrealistic to see him as anything more than a backup or the AHL regular/emergency goalie. He has done more than I thought but overall been pretty awful.

Smith/Morin are a wash, Smith does nothing particularly well or badly, just a body and unlikely to have a career. Morin can score but that is his only marketable skill. Not good enough of a scorer to translate to an NHL top six forward, not enough defense to play third line. In short just a great AHL player who will bounce around forever.  

Now Reimer.

You may not see the irony, but the Sharks are known as one of the chokingest teams in the game, and adding Mister Game seven three goal lead to the mix is delicious. I am not a Reimer fan (although I see him as a MASSIVE improvement over Stalock) and think if the Leafs have held onto him for too long. His mental part of the game is ruined, plenty of physical skill but it is between the ears with him......

Mason had that. I get to Nationwide a half a dozen times a year with the wife and my teenage daughter and when Mason was a rookie he was insane, the sky was the limit, then they started screwing him up, coming up with a new goalie coach and a new approach twice a year, lets make him a butterfly, no, wait, lets make him a more traditional, lets have him play deeper in net, no lets have him challenge the shooter. I watched the goalie who had the greatest rookie season in my lifetime get destroyed by poor management. He has sort of found himself in Philadelphia.  At least they for the most part do not try to reinvent him every five minutes.

To me that is Reimer. The Leafs ruined him and left him on the side of the road for dead, every now and then they would kick him to see if he was still moving and put him back in net.

I think long term, over the summer working with the Sharks organization to find himself he could still have a career. I see him as a good solid backup this year to Jones and next year, with the right approach the Sharks may discover he is still pretty good. But I would ride Jones through the posteason. No way in Hell do I want Reimer in net for a game seven this season. If he bombed I think his career would be over.

Leafs in full blow it up mode, leaves them with a ton a picks this summer....I think they have 3 second rounders in 2017 too. Looks like another starved fan base finally gets to see a build after 30 years of being deadline buyers.

I just realized. Jeremy Morin is a prospect I liked quite a bit a few years ago.

He looked so promising that callup for the Hawks where he scored half a point per game in 25 games or so.

But then he was ice cold for a year and has been sent to multiple teams, never getting settled. Could end up being a decent reclamation project

58 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

To me that is Reimer. The Leafs ruined him and left him on the side of the road for dead, every now and then they would kick him to see if he was still moving and put him back in net.

Bringing in Bernier (a career backup) instead of giving Reimer a true shot at the #1 job was how they ruined him. Reimer deserved another chance after the playoff collapse (a team-wide collapse) but the team decided to bury him. Pretty accurate description though.  :cry: 

It will be interesting to see how you feel about Reimer as we go along. Reimer has some basic flaws in his game that the Leafs coaches could not coach him out of. Granted, he has the right attitude and on his good nights he can be very good. I always liked Reimer but I felt he caused more losses than wins. Time will tell.

I think the Sharks upgraded the back up role as needed, Stalock appears to be an AHL goalie imo, very Leighton like.  Stalock had a few shining moments but he just doens't have it for this level of play.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I can see Toronto giving him a shot for the remainder of  the year, acquiring a starting goaltender in  the offseason and stuffing Stalock in the AHL.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I think the Sharks upgraded the back up role as needed, Stalock appears to be an AHL goalie imo, very Leighton like.  Stalock had a few shining moments but he just doens't have it for this level of play.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I can see Toronto giving him a shot for the remainder of  the year, acquiring a starting goaltender in  the offseason and stuffing Stalock in the AHL.

Stalock was basically a scheduled loss this year. Reimer will be an upgraded backup behind Jones, who is the surefire #1

Lamorello already implied Stalock would be in the AHL lol

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Depending on what aspirations are for next year (I'm guessing another 30th place finish is probably what the Leafs want), then it may well be Sparks as the #1 goalie next year, no matter how awful he is. I could see this club going with a rookie goalie and whatever happens happens. If he has a 3.50 GAA and a .875 save percentage, then the Leafs will be 30th in goals allowed and will finish in the draft lottery again for back to back high picks. (I'm guessing that's the plan.)

If the team goes out and acquires a veteran starting goalie, it will probably be to mentor Sparks and eat up games so that Sparks has to "win" the #1 job from him. 

I can't see Bernier coming back. I think the organization is fed up with him and wants to move on.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Sharks now have no weakness in the nets.  They can come at you every night and have a reliable guy in the pipes.  Scary

And Coach Deboer seems to have culled the annoying habit TMac built into them of taking your foot off the gas and sitting back with a lead. They have been playing a full 60 minutes and I am very happy

Archived