Who have been the best players of the decade so far?

JagerMeister

Who have been the best players of the decade so far?, it is not only limited to forwards. Assuming someone actually clicks on this thread and wants to comment, preferably the top ten players of this decade in order but if you don't want to do that, just list a handful of players you think have been the best of this decade so far. Maybe in future time, ( assuming this site is still active by the end of the decade.. ) we can update this topic :)

Johnathan Towes

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Patrick Kane

Sidney Crosby

Claude Giroux

Steven Stamkos

Alex Ovechkin 

Niklas Bakstrom (Capitals #19)  Eric Karlsson

Henrick Lundquist

this is not in any particular order.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Johnathan Towes

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Patrick Kane

Sidney Crosby

Claude Giroux

Steven Stamkos

Alex Ovechkin 

Niklas Bakstrom (Capitals #19)

Henrick Lundquist

I would add Carey Price (even though I hate the Habs).

20 hours ago, JackStraw said:

Karlsson has to be on the list.

Considering the fact that he currently looks like a lock for his third Norris of the decade, I can't possibly see how he can be left off. Not to mention, his offensive stats and contributions are in Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey style rarefied air.

@JackStraw @ScottM

okay so I don't pay attention to the Sens.

I agree that Karlsson is a bad mfer.

let's swap him for Backstrom

@BluPuk

Carey Price has not shown he's durable enough , when he's in the Habs are tough to beat.  He is fantastic. He's hasn't played enough contiguous games for me to have him replace anyone on my list.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@JackStraw @ScottM

okay so I don't pay attention to the Sens.

I agree that Karlsson is a bad mfer.

let's swap him for Backstrom

@BluPuk

Carey Price has not shown he's durable enough , when he's in the Habs are tough to beat.  He is fantastic. He's hasn't played enough contiguous games for me to have him replace anyone on my list.

Why can't we have both Karlsson and Backstrom? Is there a quota for Swedes?

Okay, using first team, second team and honorable mention by positon:

Goal:

1st: Quick

2nd: Lundqvist

Honorable: Price

DEFENSE:

First: Karlsson and Keith

2nd: Doughty and Weber

Honroable: Subban and Suter

Wingers:

First: Ovechkin and Perry

2nd: Kane and Seguin

Honorable: Parise and Nash

Center:

First: Crosby

2nd: Stamkos

Honorable: Backstrom or Giroux

Sigh, being objective not a Red Wing in sight.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:46 PM, mojo1917 said:

Johnathan Towes

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Patrick Kane

Sidney Crosby

Claude Giroux

Steven Stamkos

Alex Ovechkin 

Niklas Bakstrom (Capitals #19)  Eric Karlsson

Henrick Lundquist

Impossible to leave Joe Thornton off the list while having Giroux and Stamkos, who have not won anything either

He has been top 10 in assists in every single year except the lockout year and top 3 five times. Also top 3 in scoring 3 times and top 10 5 times(6 if he makes it this year)

Thornton > Giroux or Stamkos for the decade

Edit: unless the post was meant to start in 2010 as opposed to the decade of 2005-06-2015-16

10 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Impossible to leave Joe Thornton off the list while having Giroux and Stamkos, who have not won anything either

He has been top 10 in assists in every single year except the lockout year and top 3 five times. Also top 3 in scoring 3 times and top 10 5 times(6 if he makes it this year)

Edit: unless the post was meant to start in 2010 as opposed to the decade of 2005-06-2015-16

My understanding is the decade was SO FAR meaning 2010 and on. It says a lot that Joe still deserves consideration.

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I thought about Joe but the list was top 10, by the time i thought of him the list was full, like for real, no **** he was going to be #11. 

Giroux has had a better 10's than Jumbo and that's a fact, and that is how i interpreted this list... 

this is not directed at you solely, but where is your list ?  pbbbffft that's onomatopoeia for raspberries i think.  :D

5 hours ago, JackStraw said:

Why can't we have both Karlsson and Backstrom? Is there a quota for Swedes?

yes they can't think out of the box.- that was my go to Volvo joke for 20 years.

8 minutes ago, JackStraw said:

I totally don't get it.

i thought we shared a brain ?

okay , cliff notes.  Volvos are from Sweden, their styling was boxy for 20 years, then they made a swoopy coupe and it sucked.  the boxy cars were great; safe , reliable built like tanks, the swoopy coupe...couldn't suck enough... ergo the Swedes can't think out of the box.  

i don't have many friends.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i thought we shared a brain ?

okay , cliff notes.  Volvos are from Sweden, their styling was boxy for 20 years, then they made a swoopy coupe and it sucked.  the boxy cars were great; safe , reliable built like tanks, the swoopy coupe...couldn't suck enough... ergo the Swedes can't think out of the box.  

i don't have many friends.

Oh, I got the whole Volvo/box angle. But what does that have to do with a quota? Help me out here brain-brother.

@JackStraw

yeah, i kind of lost my own narrative thread there...

i saw Swedes and thought of my joke... so now here we are.  :BrownBag:

I don't like Backstrom enough to boot Orange Jesus or Crosby from my list though. Plus we do have Karlsson and Lundquist.  

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@JackStraw

yeah, i kind of lost my own narrative thread there...

i saw Swedes and thought of my joke... so now here we are.  :BrownBag:

I don't like Backstrom enough to boot Orange Jesus or Crosby from my list though. Plus we do have Karlsson and Lundquist.  

Why does anyone have to be booted? Can't they all just get along?

12 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I always take decade to mean from 0-9 - and with the qualifier "so far," it seems like that was what Jager was getting at.

While I like Giroux quite a bit as a player, I tend to leave him off lists like this because I don't feel he's quite top-10 worthy. Except that he leads all players in points since the start of the decade (ie, 2010-2011 season - 433). That's a significant point in his favor. However, I have always valued defense and intangibles at least as much as pure point production, so my list doesn't start and end with point-getters.

Toews would top my list, along with Keith. Ovechkin, Lundqvist, Karlsson round out my top 5. After that it gets a little murky.

18 hours ago, JackStraw said:

Why does anyone have to be booted? Can't they all just get along?

Put simply: no. Especially when the Finns realize they were left out altogether.

Here's my list in no particular order

Sidney Crosby

Alexander Ovechkin

Claude Giroux

Erik Karlsson

Henrik Lundqvist

Duncan Keith

John Tavares

Patrice Bergeron

Steven Stamkos

Carey Price

Honourable mentions.

Evgeni Malkin: Had that one phenomenal year, but imo has been too inconsistent and susceptible to injury on a seasonal basis for me to add him on the list.

Jonathan Toews: He has a Conn Smythe, but his regular season performances are pedestrian by comparison. Especially when Duncan Keith has vastly superior regular season performance while rivaling Toews in the playoffs. And why is Bergeron here over Toews? well again, moderately superior regular season performances with 3 selkes to his name and has excelled in the playoffs when provided the opportunity.

Drew Doughty: He doesn't perform to his potential in the regular seasom IMO, especially from what we've seen in the playoffs.

Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry

The Sedins

Nicklas Backstrom

Patrick Kane: the end of the year he will likely change my list

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, SkyHigh30 said:

Patrick Kane

Jonathan Toews

Duncan Keith

Erik Karlsson

Carey Price

Alex Ovechkin

Sidney Crosby

Claude Giroux

Steven Stamkos

Henrik Lundqvist

3 Blackhawks players on the list....not biased at all...

No. Seriously. You guys have 3 potential HHOF players...

1 minute ago, JagerMeister said:

3 Blackhawks players on the list....not biased at all...

No. Seriously. You guys have 3 potential HHOF players...

I was also going to add Corey Crawford, but decided to go with Lundqvist instead. Those three Blackhawks I think do deserve to be on the list though.

Archived