Halak out 6 weeks, how does that change the playoff race?

hf101

Does Halaks' injury change the Playoff Race?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which teams in the East make the Playoffs? Pick 4

The Isles announce Jaroslav Halak will miss the next 6 weeks with a LBI suffered against the Penguins Tuesday.  This means Thomas Griess will have the starting role tending net down the stretch.  Greiss has been solid this season with a 18-6-3, 2.20 GAA, .930 save percentage.   However he has only 40 minutes of playoff experience tending goal for the Sharks back in 2010.   The Islanders are currently sitting in the 3rd playoff spot in the Metropolitan division with a 6 point lead over Pittsburgh with 17 games or 34 points availble.  Can Greiss keep the Islanders as a playoff contender?

Here are the current standings, If the top 4 teams on the list are a given to make the playoffs Capitals, Rangers, Lighting, Boston, which teams are your bottom 4 choices for making the playoffs?  Pick 4 in the Poll

Teams GP Points
Islanders 65 82
Panthers 66 81
Penguins 66 76
Redwings 66 75
Flyers 65 73
Hurricanes 67 71
Senators 68 70
Devils 67 69
Canadiens 67 68

I think Greiss will do just enough to keep the Isles in it.  The Pens with Croby starting to fire on all cylinders is a lock for the Wild Card or maybe slip just enough ahead of the Isles. The Panthers have player better than anyone thought this year.  They are my surprise team out of the East to make the playoffs.  I think it comes down to the Flyers and Redwings.  The Flyers have a very tough remaining schedule.  If they get through that then I think they sneak in as the last WC.  I have not looked at Detroits final games so i have no idea how their schedule is.  If the Flyers falter in anyway, then the Redwings lock up that last spot.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Flyers make the playoffs, but they still have some flaws on the blue line (Ghost excluded).  Though they have been playing better this year, they still have inconsistent night like last week when they lost to Edm 4-0.  I have Detroit edging out the Flyers to nab the last spot.

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I think the Flyers and Penguins will get in, and the Wings will not.

If that's the case, hopefully the Flyers pass the Pens and finish 7th. I want the Pens to play the Caps in Round 1.

NFN, but we Pens fans saw some of Greis last year.  He's a nice backup. But its like being told before your blind date that the person has a great personality, there are some flaws.  I think when he gets into the games down the stretch, he could struggle.  

We'll see, their next six games are Boston(A), Florida(H), Pittsburgh(A), Nashville(A), Dallas(A) and Philly(H).  Tough stretch, may be their defining moment. 

Archived