NHL ponders 2017 expansion draft

jammer2

If indeed expansion does happen, an expansion draft will be held to stock the new team(s). Found a nice article that gives a nice primer for what we might expect. One thing for sure, this will be BY FAR the deepest expansion draft in NHL history.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/3/17/11248450/how-does-the-nhl-expansion-draft-work-a-primer

If expansion does happen, teams can only lose 1 player if 1 team is added, 2 players if expansion includes 2 cities.

The GM's and owners are expected to draw up the following scenarios....I was quite shocked to see just how deep this thing will go....

1)Teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 2 goalies.....OR

2)Teams can protect 9 forwards, 5 defensemen and 1 goalie

These specific rules have one thing in mind, making sure the new expansion teams are immediately competitive. The NHL does not want their new cities to go through a painful 3-5 year growth cycle, instead they want to make sure that the new teams are off and running, and the new fan bases will get instant gratification.

1st and 2nd year players will be automatically exempt, so the young talent will stay with their current teams. The article does not mention this one point, but I saw Pierre Lebrun on TSN last night and he was discussing one important factor....players that are drafted but have not played a NHL game will also be exempt, with one BIG qualifier....players that were drafted 3 years ago but not playing with the parent team will have to be protected or be exposed to the draft. This is HUGE for teams that have NCAA or KHL talent stashed away....teams could lose some very nice talent in this scenario.

Another factor that will have to be worked out is players with no-trade or no movement clauses. Will these be voided? You can bet your bottom dollar the NHLPA will be fighting tooth and nail to make sure these clauses are protected. This could get very sticky.

One other factor looming large, there has never been an expansion draft in the salary cap era. Teams that are losing players AND the new teams will all be expected comply with the cap floor.....so in this scenario, an expansion team may have to select a few players that they don't necessarily want, but their salary allows them to safely reach the cap floor.

The GM's have requested at *least* a years notice, so the vote could potentially take place in June of 2016, thus making a 2017 expansion draft compliant with the one year advance notice the GM's have demanded. Very soon, we will know if the NHL will expand to 31 or 32 teams (an even number would seem to make more sense IMHO). The front-runners....namely Quebec, Las Vegas and Seattle will all know their fate in a few short months.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Very interesting....thanks for sharing.....expose McDud and see him and his salary disappear! Yes Please!!!! :D

Yes, there could very well be some "get out of jail free cards" dealt out....ha ha. Of course, this was Homers master plan all along, he *knew* the expansion draft was coming and thus the ability to dump McDudly.....lol.

Of course, the obvious question arises....with these new guidelines/rules....which players will your favourite team protect?

We can also expect to see a flurry to trades, as teams look to unload players rather than lose them for nothing in the expansion draft. How about a team like Boston....I believe Malcom Subban would be subject to the drafted 3 years ago scenario. This would force them to let Subban make the team, get a long look at him and then decide whether to keep Rask and Subban or secure the extra skaters....same thing for the Ducks with GIbson and Andersson....and the Bolts would have some tough choices....Bishop and Vasilivesky or extra skaters etc....TONS of variables at work here.

48 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Of course, the obvious question arises....with these new guidelines/rules....which players will your favourite team protect?

i was thinking same thing and going down the list the Flyers have.  Working on a list down. (of course this list will change over time)

Note the article says that teams will be allowed to protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and one goalie, or eight skaters and one goalie. The 9/5/1 or 7/3/2 was the 2000 draft.

In the last expansion draft, players with NMC/NTC had to be protected by their team. I know Pronger's and Streit's deals will be up, but this is huge when it comes to VLC, as the Flyers would have been forced to protect him if he hadn't been traded to LA.

Flyers would have to protect Giroux and Simmonds. Schenn and Couturier are probably locks.

Ghost on the D. I'd guess Gudas and MDZ. Based on @jammer2's 3 year rule, if Morin plays for the Flyers next year, he'd be exempt, but not if he doesn't play for the Flyers at all. So expect to see him on the big club at some point next season, just to get him exempted (unless it's just playing in the pros). Sanheim, Provorov would be exempt. MacDonald is a no-brainer for leaving exposed.

So right there are four forwards and 3 defensemen. After that, you have to make some choices. Laughton, Cousins, Straka, Leier, Alt... lots of young guys with more than two years pro time. None of them are really blue chippers, those are all on defense and mostly exempt, but some of them will need to be left unprotected. Ditto Weal, Read, Raffl, and the like. Stolarz or Mason or Neuvirth? You can only keep one.

Dave Isaac @davegisaac 4h4 hours ago

Interesting to talk to Hexy re: expansion draft. Told him he benefits by not having young guys start yet. He puts on a huge smile “Bingo!"

@jammer2

Not including all the prospects and  recent draft choices this is how I would project the Flyers.  Some very  hard decisions here......

Unprotected
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare LW
Sam Gagner C
Andrew MacDonald D
Brandon Manning D
Colin McDonald RW
Michal Neuvirth G
Michael Raffl LW
Nick Schultz D
Mark Streit D
R.J. Umberger C
Chris VandeVelde C
Ryan White C
Matt Read RW

Note: Bellemar / Raffl / White are great role players.  Can't protect everyone.

Protect (as of now)
Sean Couturier C
Michael Del Zotto D
Claude Giroux (C) C
Steve Mason G
Brayden Schenn C
Wayne Simmonds RW
Jakub Voracek RW
Radko Gudas D
Evgeny Medvedev D
Nick Cousins (?) C
Taylor Leier (?) LW
Scott Laughton (?) C

Note: I listed Cousins / Leier / Laughton.  (Protect 2 out of the 3)

Exempt (as of now) 
Shayne Gostisbehere D
Jordan Weal C

So, the maximum any team can lose is two? That doesn't sound too bad. An NHL roster is 20 or so, so some teams might not lose anyone? You can protect 12 players if you protect 2 goalies, or 15 players if you protect one?? Not getting what that idea is about. Seriously, it's too bad the NHL isn't as concerned about its current teams' welfare...

I'm also not getting how this is going to be a "deep" draft. Is the goalie thing carved in stone? The Leafs could expose both our goalies to the draft and we'd be better off....:P

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Very interesting....thanks for sharing.....expose McDud and see him and his salary disappear! Yes Please!!!! :D

Inconceivable that a team would draft McDud from ya.

@jammer2

I keep seeing different numbers being thrown around regarding how many players you can protect.

The numbers you threw out were from last expansion draft. Bettman has his eye on Vegas and knows a non-Traditional Market cannot support a team that sucks for the first 5 years, so they are trying to force:

(a) seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goalie; or,

(b) eight skaters, and one goalie.

The rules are being ironed out to be immediately favorable to Expansion teams so they don't get just 6th Dmen and 4th line forwards

Preliminary discussions seem to indicate teams would be forced to use a protection spot on anyone with a No movement clause. Even if they don't want them lol.

But UFA's can be drafted, yet refuse to sign with the expansion team and just go back to their old team or a new one. Which pretty much means Wilson can just have a handshake deal with Thornton/Marleau/Burns to resign after Expansion draft.

@jammer2

I see what happened now. you posted the 2000 expansion draft rules. The same article mentions the updated likely rules, which are

(a) seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goalie; or,

(b) eight skaters, and one goalie.

Basically, it makes teams protect less players if they want to protect more defensemen.

Which will suck balls for a few teams.

I can't imagine Tampa will be thrilled to be forced to  protect Filppula, Callahan and Carle, Coburn, Stralman and Garrison, then 2 other forwards.

My guess is they tweak the rules regarding NTC's being ineligible. Hopefully only guys with full NMC's

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Inconceivable that a team would draft McDud from ya.

one can only hope and pray! ;)

Like David Hannum once said of JT Barnum.... "There's a sucker born every minute!" :)

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

one can only hope and pray! ;)

Like David Hannum once said of JT Barnum.... "There's a sucker born every minute!" :)

Looking at the Flyers current roster, and being able to protect 7, 3 and 1

And if they were drafted 2014 or earlier and are not with the NHL club

Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton, Raffl?

Defense gets a bit tricky. Drafted 2014 or earlier and not with the parent club might be a muddy picture depending on how they interpret it. if SanHeim plays his first NHL season next year, will he count as a 1st year guy and be exempt? or will he fall under the "Drafted 2014 or earlier" rule?

Realistically, you are protecting Ghost, Del Zotto and ??????

Unless Morin and Sanheim must be protected, then it gets tricky.

Assuming Thornton, Marleau, Burns simply wait to become UFA's and resign(And all have given indication they want to retire in SJ), then our situation is easy.

Couture, Pavelski, Donskoi, Hertl, Tierney, ???? Goldobin, ?????

Marleau might be done by then anyways the way he is playing. Thornton has several years left in the gas tank.

Defense, its Burns, Vlasic, Braun

Goalie: Jones.

I suspect they might force the entire league to only protecting 8 Skaters and a goalie. Which will suck for everyone. Bettman wants to force Vegas down our throats and he will not tolerate them sucking for 5 years. So he will punish everyone else and assure they get talent right off the bat.

Archived