Hartnell having career year

Guest brelic

Hartnell started off slow, getting points in just 2 of his first 7 games. But then he exploded, and he has points in 22 of the next 31 games, on pace for about 80 points.

And how about that pass last night, facing away from the play, right on JVR's stick? That was the kind of move you'd expect only from Giroux.

I was kind of down on him through camp and in the early season, but man, not only has he completely turned it around, he's also much more consistent this year than before. He has not gone more than 2 consecutive games without a point this year. Compare that to last year when he was held pointless in 45 of 82 games, and six times he had a pointless streak of 4 or more games.

Even when either Jagr or Giroux has been out, Hartnell continues to do the small things on the ice and helps out the team.

I don't know what's responsible for the transformation, but I sure as hell like it. This is the guy we all hoped we were getting when we made that trade 5 years ago. He's 29, and maybe just now hitting his peak.

Hartnell started off slow, getting points in just 2 of his first 7 games. But then he exploded, and he has points in 22 of the next 31 games, on pace for about 80 points.

And how about that pass last night, facing away from the play, right on JVR's stick? That was the kind of move you'd expect only from Giroux.

I was kind of down on him through camp and in the early season, but man, not only has he completely turned it around, he's also much more consistent this year than before. He has not gone more than 2 consecutive games without a point this year. Compare that to last year when he was held pointless in 45 of 82 games, and six times he had a pointless streak of 4 or more games.

Even when either Jagr or Giroux has been out, Hartnell continues to do the small things on the ice and helps out the team.

I don't know what's responsible for the transformation, but I sure as hell like it. This is the guy we all hoped we were getting when we made that trade 5 years ago. He's 29, and maybe just now hitting his peak.

Good Morning!

Your last point is interesting. It says that some folks develop fast, and some don't. I guess the question is whether this is a new level or a blip? Who knows?

Best,

Howie

@brelic

Playing with Giroux has probably helped his confidence a lot and I sense from watching the series that Laviolette values his skill set and has him playing the game the way he needs to play to be effective. Getting a bad marriage behind him can't hurt either.

Good Morning!

Your last point is interesting. It says that some folks develop fast, and some don't. I guess the question is whether this is a new level or a blip? Who knows?

Best,

Howie

Hey Howie,

I hope this is a new level. Just based on the confidence he has with his passing - which was never his strong suit - that tells me that he's maturing as a player. 10 of his 18 goals have come when we were either trailing by 1 or tied. He's becoming more clutch, though I'm sure alot of that is the byproduct of playing with Giroux and Jagr, who themselves are very clutch players.

But his PIMs are also down from his average as a Flyer, which is another indication of maturation and self-control. Take away the two misconducts he got over the past week, and he would be looking at his lowest career PIM total. He still has the sandpaper to his game, but he's just smarter about it.

he's been a great great player this year. he's doing all the right things and he's making himself very valuable to the team. he's been gritty, getting in the other teams face(and heads), and getting to the front of the net.

but, that pass to JVR last night... i swear that was a hail mary to the front of the net. lol. he never looked and he doesn't have THAT kinda vision. but, anyway... the guy i call Chris Fartsmell has been really good this year. here's hoping he keeps it up.

Hey Howie,

I hope this is a new level. Just based on the confidence he has with his passing - which was never his strong suit - that tells me that he's maturing as a player. 10 of his 18 goals have come when we were either trailing by 1 or tied. He's becoming more clutch, though I'm sure alot of that is the byproduct of playing with Giroux and Jagr, who themselves are very clutch players.

But his PIMs are also down from his average as a Flyer, which is another indication of maturation and self-control. Take away the two misconducts he got over the past week, and he would be looking at his lowest career PIM total. He still has the sandpaper to his game, but he's just smarter about it.

I hope you are right. The guy has taken his share of criticism on the boards and in the media. He has a good attitude.

LGF,

Howie

Isn't it coincidental that Hartnell's game improved at the same time the Hartnell Down count began?

I don't think so, but to be more accurate, when Hartnell found about it is more relevant. He was getting healthy and playing with G. His personal life was stabilizing, and he had a duty as a veteran player to help lead the rookies. As the team's best power forward, he adds to the line chemistry of the dual threats G and Jagr bring.

Isn't it coincidental that Hartnell's game improved at the same time the Hartnell Down count began?

I don't think so, but to be more accurate, when Hartnell found about it is more relevant. He was getting healthy and playing with G. His personal life was stabilizing, and he had a duty as a veteran player to help lead the rookies. As the team's best power forward, he adds to the line chemistry of the dual threats G and Jagr bring.

Both of those and the departure of Richards and Carter.