Duncan Keith Earns a Match Penalty and Suspension

How many Games does Keith deserve?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How many Games does Keith deserve?

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Jesus, out of character for Keith but deliberate looking. I said 5 games.

Not so sure it was out of character.  Keith was suspended in the 2013 playoffs for another stick swinging incident when he knocked out Jeff Carter's teeth.

EDIT:. Keith also has a 5 game suspension on his record for elbowing Daniel Sedin in the head in 2012.

What would Brian Burke do?  

I think if Burke were still in charge of discipline, here is how his brilliant hockey mind would see it:

Keith was trying to get up, and he had to roll over on to his stomach in order to do so. Thus, the motion of him rolling over automatically brought his stick up into Coyle's face. Thus, 0 games. 

(Sorry, it never gets old...lol...)   ;-)

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Not so sure it was out of character.  Keith was suspended in the 2013 playoffs for another stick swinging incident when he knocked out Jeff Carter's teeth.

I had forgotten all about that!

5 games seems about right. I'll say maybe he gets 4 because of the "roll," but it deserves 5.

8 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I forgot about that one. I still say five games tho. Maybe the rest of the regular season but back by the playoffs. Cheap shot.

11 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

This is one of the dirtiest plays I have ever seen

I have to agree. Man i have thought about it since i got off of work this morning and maybe i'm tired but i can't think of one that is worst right. The Mcsorley/Brashear one is pretty bad too. He is going to pay dearly for this very dangerous play. That could've been a Bryan Berard type situation...but with a stick.

He should sit for 10 at least.  They have 5 games left in the regular season so he'd sit for the first 5 in any playoff series, too.  They'll have to get to a Game 6 w/o him.

It's bad enough that players have to worry about incidental sticks to the eyes.  Intentionally doing it?  Doesn't get much worse.

Edit: Just saw AFF's comments. I recalled the previous stick incident but forget the 5 games for elbowing.  Keith has turned into a real POS.

14 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Jesus, out of character for Keith but deliberate looking. I said 5 games.

I'm not so sure I would go that far with Duncan Keith at this point.  This will be 3 suspensions in the past four years for Keith, and the second for a stick swinging incident where he injured another player.   Sure it was not a two handed tomahawk chop, but he still purposefully swung a stick at another players head, make contact and did some pretty serious injury(Nose/Teeth/whatever).

The KEY here is, IT WAS INTENTIONAL.  Now I'm far from a sane mind(and most of you being Flyer's fans means neither are you), but in most cases, people with a sane mind would come to the conclusion that when you intentionally swing a stick at someones head, you intend to injure them.  And in Keith's case, this is the second time he INTENTIONALLY did so.   NHL and NHLPA, if you EVER had the chance to stand up and say enough is enough, this is it. 

My hope is 10 games(minimum), because he intentionally used his stick as a weapon at another players head.  Saying this kind of thing has no place in hockey does not come close describing the situation. The fact that he has done so before just makes matters worse. 

14 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

This is one of the dirtiest plays I have ever seen.  Coyle's nose is definitely broken (hopefully that's all).  I think Keith deserves more than 10 games.

That was my first reaction. In slow motion it looks not as bad (duh), more of a good stiff love tap, mostly to the cheek. But yeah, that's pretty bad. He must use a fairly long stick.

Wow...and OUCH.....that is a pretty ugly nose Coyle now has compliments of one Mr. Keith.  It was definitely INTENTIONAL....he swung his stick like a tennis racket.  I'd give him the rest of the season off (I think the Hawks have 5 remaining).  Then for good measure I would make him sit the first 4 games of the playoffs.  We all bitch and moan on here about players controlling their stick.  Sometimes it is accidental.  However, and IMO, I don't think this was accidental.  This is the type of crap the league should not tolerate.  So 5 +4 = 9 games total.  The NHLPA will appeal anyway and it will probably be reduced to 6 games and he will only miss 1 playoff game. Regardless a message needs to be sent.

It's going to depend upon whether the insane Department of Player Safety determines that the head, in fact, was the primary point of contact and whether Coyle leaned into it.

You don't suppose he could argue that the fall gave him a momentary concussion and that he didn't know what he was doing, do you?

I think the rest of the regular season would be appropriate.   I think they give him 4 or 5, though.

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's going to depend upon whether the insane Department of Player Safety determines that the head, in fact, was the primary point of contact and whether Coyle leaned into it.

Bwahahahahahaha! 

Welp. Just dropped Keith in my work league Finals.

My choices for replacement are limited. Only guys worthy of a pickup who would fill gaps in my roster for certain days are Chara and Spurgeon. Since SOG is a category, I am leaning towards Chara

No question that Keith deserves a lengthy suspension, but why is no one talking about the slew foot that Coyle pulled on Keith that led to the slash?

That was a really dangerous & dirty play as well. Keith could have been seriously injured (concussion).

18 minutes ago, AndyS said:

why is no one talking about the slew foot that Coyle pulled on Keith that led to the slash?

I don't see a slew foot in the video (in the video, he never touches his feet or legs).  Was it before that?

Arguably a good point for interference or roughing, though, since he does basically throw him down and the puck is nowhere near there.

It's not a slew foot by definition, since that involves kicking a player's leg out from behind with your foot - difficult to do when the guy is looking right at you. But I could see arguing that the trip by Coyle (stick behind Keith, maybe a push to knock him into it) is the same general principle.

20 minutes ago, AndyS said:

the slew foot

I didn't see it either, will take your word for it. Explains things: usually when someone swings their stick like that they are pretty mad. And slew footing is probably the dirtiest play in all of hockey. I recently chased a guy all over the ice who tried it, not once, but twice in one game. It is dirty

11 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

But I could see arguing that the trip by Coyle (stick behind Keith, maybe a push to knock him into it) is the same general principle

Okay, yes, I do see that.   I don't know that you'll get a slew foot call out of that (agree, same basic principle), but I could see a legitimate argument for the interference/roughing.  It's very likely what ticked Keith off.   It doesn't excuse the response (which is what @AndyS already said), but you can see where the "inspiration" came from.

4 hours ago, nossagog said:

My hope is 10 games(minimum), because he intentionally used his stick as a weapon at another players head.  Saying this kind of thing has no place in hockey does not come close describing the situation. The fact that he has done so before just makes matters worse. 

Better take a picture of this.... I absolutely 100 percent agree with a Pen fan on something......:cry: That was as cowardly a move as I have ever seen on the ice. It would not bother me if he was suspended for the playoffs too this year.

Archived