Duncan Keith Earns a Match Penalty and Suspension

How many Games does Keith deserve?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How many Games does Keith deserve?

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I didn't see it either, will take your word for it. Explains things: usually when someone swings their stick like that they are pretty mad. And slew footing is probably the dirtiest play in all of hockey. I recently chased a guy all over the ice who tried it, not once, but twice in one game. It is dirty

It happened right before the slash, and was what caused Keith to fall to the ice in the first place. (Again, not excusing what Keith did, but I think what Coyle did was pretty bad, and could have easily injured Keith.)

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

If Keith is suspended into the playoffs, Chicago doesn't get out of the first round.  Kane, Toews, or whomever notwithstanding. 

I'd be totally OK with that.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

In person hearing, so the suspension will be hefty.

I hope that is the case.  But, the in person hearing gives the NHL the OPTION to suspend for 6 or more games.  It doesn't guarantee anything.

The DPS thinks 1 game in the playoffs equals 2 games in the regular season.  With only 5 games left in the regular season I can't see them giving him more than 6 games (even though I think he deserves more).

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Keith waives his right for in person and will do phone instead.   Can we say he's phoning in the rest of the season?

Doesn't waiving mean refusing? Doesn't it encourage the league to throw the book at him?

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Doesn't waiving mean refusing? Doesn't it encourage the league to throw the book at him?

No, it just means he chooses to do it over the phone instead of going to NY. Happens fairly frequently with in-person hearings. Just means that the phone interview now counts as in-person for the elimination of the 5 game maximum penalty.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

No, it just means he chooses to do it over the phone instead of going to NY. Happens fairly frequently with in-person hearings. Just means that the phone interview now counts as in-person for the elimination of the 5 game maximum penalty.

Oh, ok. So he'll get the rest of the regular season, plus?

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Oh, ok. So he'll get the rest of the regular season, plus?

Not necessarily - in-person just means the league has the option of going more than 5 games. After the interview, the league may realize that it was completely unintentional, and the result of Keith turning his body over to stand up and just being ignorant of what he was doing with his stick, thereby giving him no additional punishment.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Not necessarily - in-person just means the league has the option of going more than 5 games. After the interview, the league may realize that it was completely unintentional, and the result of Keith turning his body over to stand up and just being ignorant of what he was doing with his stick, thereby giving him no additional punishment.

Yeah, I know, I was curious what you think he will get?

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I know, I was curious what you think he will get?

I never guess, because it's my belief that the discipline committee uses dice with numbers from 0-5 on them. They pick up one and roll it and that's the number of games. In this case, they'll just use two.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I never guess, because it's my belief that the discipline committee uses dice with numbers from 0-5 on them. They pick up one and roll it and that's the number of games. In this case, they'll just use two.

AJ, NO NO NO NO NO.  It's not dice and there is an official mechanism for this, just fill in the correct names, spin the wheel and VIOLA, you have your answer!

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

After the interview, the league may realize that it was completely unintentional, and the result of Keith turning his body over to stand up and just being ignorant of what he was doing with his stick,

April Fools or have you not watched the swing straight out of a RunRun Shaw movie(Bad Kung Fu movies that have regained a new life on the ElRey network). Even several of the Blackhawk fans have said that it was suspension worthy.

Duncan Keith suspended for 6 games.

https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-keith-suspended-six-games-for-high-sticking/c-280067896

Duncan Keith suspended six games

Keith suspended six games for high-sticking

4/1/16: Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith suspended six games for high-sticking against Minnesota Wild forward Charlie Coyle

NEW YORK - Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith  has been suspended for six games, without pay, for high-sticking Minnesota Wild forward Charlie Coyle  during NHL Game No. 1146 in St. Paul on Tuesday, March 29, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The suspension includes the Blackhawks' final five regular-season games and first Stanley Cup Playoff game.

The incident occurred at 9:27 of the first period. Keith was assessed a match penalty for high-sticking.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Keith will forfeit $148,883.35. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the above link: 

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM, pilldoc said:

Wow...and OUCH.....that is a pretty ugly nose Coyle now has compliments of one Mr. Keith.  It was definitely INTENTIONAL....he swung his stick like a tennis racket.  I'd give him the rest of the season off (I think the Hawks have 5 remaining).  Then for good measure I would make him sit the first 4 games of the playoffs.  We all bitch and moan on here about players controlling their stick.  Sometimes it is accidental.  However, and IMO, I don't think this was accidental.  This is the type of crap the league should not tolerate.  So 5 +4 = 9 games total.  The NHLPA will appeal anyway and it will probably be reduced to 6 games and he will only miss 1 playoff game. Regardless a message needs to be sent.

11 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I just heard Duncan Keith suspended for 6 games.  No link yet.

ding...ding..ding.... I said 9 reduce to 6.  Sooooo 5 remaining regular season games and 1 playoff game?  I would have made him miss 2 or 3 playoff games ....and so it goes.

EDIT:

Here is link ..... http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Duncan-Keith-Suspended-for-Slashing-Charlie-Coyle-374285341.html

33 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That's some kind of fuzzy math you used there, Doc!  You sure you don't work for the government?:unsure[1]:

nah..just dipping in the meds too much. ;)

I agree 100% with the author.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15114941/nhl-nhl-takes-step-back-duncan-keith-six-game-suspension

NHL fails to take stand with Duncan Keith suspension

If you listened to the NHL's video explanation of their handling of Duncan Keith's nasty slash to the face of the Minnesota Wild's Charlie Coyle, you'd be convinced they got it right.

This was a "retaliatory act of violence by a player with a history of using his stick as a weapon," explained the video supporting the suspension of the star Chicago Blackhawks defenseman released Friday night.

The video explanation noted that Keith, who'd been knocked to the ice by Coyle in a play moments earlier in Tuesday's game, looked directly at Coyle before swinging his stick into Coyle's face.

This was not an example of incidental or innocent contact between a player's stick and an opponent, the video produced by the NHL's department of player safety surmised.

And so all of this is right on the mark until the very end -- the most important moment of any supplementary discipline -- the moment when the league sadly took a knee instead of taking a stand.

Instead of handing down a suspension that would have punished the Blackhawks and their most important player -- a two-time Norris Trophy winner -- and been commensurate with all of the evidence outlined in the video, they took the easy way out in giving Keith a six-game suspension.

Basically the "punishment" is a five-game breather for Keith plus the first game of the playoffs.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0401%2Fr69960_12 Duncan Keith will miss the first game of the playoffs after receiving a six-game suspension. Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports

In spite of Keith's history (he slashed Jeff Carter in the face during the Western Conference finals in an act of retaliation in 2013), the NHL in essence gave Keith just a one game penalty.

Because one game is all that matters here; the first game of the playoffs.

The first five games are a mirage, a puff of dust, a complete misdirection, an abdication of responsibility by a league that continues to take one step forward and several steps back when it comes to trying to establish what is acceptable behavior on the ice.

We happen to believe that Keith might be the greatest defenseman to ever play for the Chicago Blackhawks. He is a sure-fire Hall of Famer with his three Stanley Cup rings, two Olympic gold medals and double Norris Trophy honor.

But in 2013 when he lashed out at Carter, then head league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan noted in handing down a one-game suspension many of the same elements that Friday night's decision highlighted.

The Carter slash was not accidental or defensive.

Neither was the slash on Coyle.

So, what lesson has been learned?

None, apparently.

And certainly it would seem the league has learned little about what actually constitutes adequate supplemental discipline.

The Blackhawks are likely to play the Dallas Stars or St. Louis Blues in the first round of the playoffs. They'll miss Keith for the first game only and then, presumably, he'll return fresh and ready to roll.

That's punishment?

The goal of supplemental discipline is to not only penalize a player for his actions, to make him accountable for losing control and stepping over the line, but to also penalize his team as a reminder to all players that their actions have consequences. At least it should be the goal. Given this decision, the league has failed once again to do what is required of them to reach that goal.

What would have been just?

At least the first two games of a best-of-seven series. At least.

Coyle avoided serious injury. He was lucky. He could have suffered a broken orbital bone or an eye injury or a broken jaw.

And in the aftermath, the league has tried to pull a fast one on the public, the game and the players by making a six-game suspension sound and look like something it's not.

And it reinforces the notion that the league has a hierarchical standard of discipline and star players get treated differently.

Chicago and Duncan Keith got off lightly.

Unfortunately Chicago's opponent in the first round of the playoffs and the game itself are the ones who got short shrift from this decision.

Archived