Chi's 1st goal - "Ugly and Stoppable" or "a Bad Break"?

Guest canoli

I thought the goal was ugly and stoppable. What say you?

To me Bryzgalov looked completely unprepared to face the attack. Yes Zac committed the turnover at the blue line and Chicago jumped on it quickly. And Matt Carle didn't do his goalie any favors by playing the air and space between the 2 Chicago players (Matt I love ya but come on, pick 1 or the other and defend something).

But Bryzgalov is paid to prevent mistakes from costing us goals; he was brought in specifically to cover just those kinds of [rookie] mistakes. The shot was basically a redirection off a pass but the redirection wasn't a big one. The pass was slow and obvious; Hayes (the goal scorer) only had 1 play on it. Had Bryz been focused and ready to defend his net I think he would've stopped it.

Then again I've never strapped on the big pads and I know looks can be deceiving, especially on t.v. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Here's the link:

http://www.nhl.com/i...&navid=sb:recap

Redirects can be tough because they catch the goalie moving in the initial direction of the shot/pass. That being said, I just wonder why Bryz was already in pokecheck mode. If he has his stick ready, paddle down, maybe he stops that puck.

Right - exactly -thank you - "already in poke-check mode" - what the hell Bryz? Was he really expecting Hayes to handle that pass and stickhandle, maybe go backhand or something? All in the 4 feet in front of the crease?

I don't know, I watched it a 100 times on the replay on NHL.com and I see that slow pass to Hayes and I see only 1 possible play Hayes could make - a simple redirection. Bryz was basically square to Hayes, he just didn't have his stick down on the ice.

I was ticked about that goal too, but when i watched the replay, it reminded me of a "tweener" single through the infield that used to drive me crazy as a middle infielder i would see it, get to the spot to field the ball but it was between hops and would go through me, this would happen about once or twice a year... and my poor dads would have to hit a lot of grounders to me away from practice. .until i would be able to get over it, anyway sometimes you know you're there to make the play yet you don't.