Game #82 - Flyers at Islanders - April 10 2016 - 7:00 pm ET

OccamsRazor

CfrrzymUIAALfMR.jpg

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.54 (23rd), Islanders 2.78 (11th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.57 (13th), Islanders 2.54 (12th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 131/128, Islanders 153/145
Power play efficiency: Flyers 18.1% (18th), Islanders 18.7% (13th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.2% (T-22nd), Islanders 85.5% (2nd)
Shots per game: Flyers 31.0 (5th), Islanders 29.6 (17th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 30.9 (24th), Islanders 30.5 (T-20th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 51.1% (6th), Islanders 50.0% (17th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 89 Sam Gagner
12 Michael Raffl - 52 Nick Cousins - 24 Matt Read
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Édouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy, may play), R.J. Umberger (healthy, may play), Scott Laughton (healthy, may play), Jordan Weal (healthy, may play), Michael Del Zotto (IR, wrist), Ray Emery (healthy, could back up or start), Alex Lyon (healthy).

Islanders

51Frans Nielsen - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
11 Shane Prince - 29 Brock Nelson - 12 Josh Bailey
38 Bracken Kearns - 18 Ryan Strome - 10 Alan Quine
36 Eric Boulton - 53 Casey Cizikas - 16 Steve Bernier

44 Calvin de Haan - 55 Johnny Boychuk
2 Nick Leddy - 6 Ryan Pulock
42 Scott Mayfield - 50 Adam Pelech

1 Thomas Greiss / 33 Christopher Gibson

Scratches: Travis Hamonic (lower body), Thomas Hickey (undisclosed), Brian Strait (upper body), Matt Martin (upper body), Cal Clutterbuck (lower body), Mikhail Grabovski (upper body), Anders Lee (broken left fibula), Jean-Francois Berube (lower body), Jaroslav Halak (groin), Nikolay Kulemin (healthy), Marek Zidlicky (healthy).

PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!

I just want to see everyone get out this game healthy, I also don't think this is an accurate lineup.

I expect Weal, Laughton and gulp...........RJ to play in this game. Oh yeah and they must rest Ghost and put Medvedev in....rest up the guys you can afford to....

Occam and Colleagues:

I suspect it will be RJ's last game in a Flyers uniform.  Neuvirth needs some work. It can't hurt to see some of the bench. Weal is an interesting piece....wonder what the long-term game plan is for him...if there is one. 

LGF,

Howie

Bill Meltzer 
Editor

10428.jpg

Today @ 9:10 AM ET  
Here's the thing with Neuvirth. He hasn't had a single practice. He skated on his own with Dillabaugh and took a few warmup-type reps. He was not ready yet to practice when the Flyers had their last one. 

They had a morning skate in Detroit -- not sure if he made the trip, since I only do driving distance road games. No morning skate on Thursday before Toronto game. No practice on Friday. No morning skate yesterday. No morning skate today. 

Those are very tough conditions by which to try to make a return after a substantial absence. OTOH, it would be good for him to get a game in. 

If this game had meant something and Mason was banged up, they would have had to start Neuvirth and hoped for the best. But since it is a meaningless game, not sure the better course is not to wait and let him have practices on Tue and Wed before feeling comfortable about him in a game (if need be) at some point against Washington.

Would be a nice gesture to start Emery. But Lyon is part of the future and the Flyers are already burning the first year of his ELC by carrying him on their NHL roster this past week (that was by contractual agreement, and a prerequisite for getting the deal done).

Interesting comment by Bill on Lyons. So how would they be burning a year on Lyon's entry level by carrying him on the roster??? I thought they only burned games they actually played in??? No am i wrong??? Or could we see Lyon in net today????

If Lyons plays....really interesting. Emory is a fan favorite.  I bet he'd come to play...probably start a fight. I never questioned the guy's competitive fire.  On that score--a warrior....just getting back on the ice after his medical fix was incredible.  It would an implicitly poop on Stolarz if either Lyons or Razor gets the nod.  Of course, you could argue that management's decision to play Mason nonstop may have been a comment on the whole goalie "stockpile."  

Either way, all is good in Flyerland.

H

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If Lyons plays....really interesting. Emory is a fan favorite.  I bet he'd come to play...probably start a fight. I never questioned the guy's competitive fire.  On that score--a warrior....just getting back on the ice after his medical fix was incredible.  It would an implicitly poop on Stolarz if either Lyons or Razor gets the nod.  Of course, you could argue that management's decision to play Mason nonstop may have been a comment on the whole goalie "stockpile."  

Either way, all is good in Flyerland.

H

No offense to Emery i have enjoyed his time in Philly but i would prefer to see Lyons it would really make me want to watch todays meaningless game more interesting.

.@Simmonds17 has 8 multi-goal games this year, tied for No. 1 in #NHL with Benn, Crosby, Galchenyuk, Gaudreau, Ovechkin.#Flyers

Not to shabby to be only making 3.9 mill per year......and 3 more years after this one at that rate is highway robbery!!!!

Goalies (4) $7,250,000   |   10.15% of cap
Steve Mason G 27 $4,100,000 $4,100,000 UFAUFA      
Michal Neuvirth G 28 $1,625,000 $1,625,000 UFAUFA      
Alex Lyon G 23 $925,000  $925,000  RFARFA      
Ray Emery G 33 $600,000 UFAUFA      

Whatever it takes to land the free agents i guess.....

I guess part of next year's "TBDs" is the goalie situation.  If they keep Mason, he will 5 or 6 million.  That means they won't be able to like Mike.  That makes grooming a backup a high priority.   Candidly, Neuvy's injury-proneness may take him out of consideration.  Maybe Lyons testing is good thing....

I will say this i have been giving Jake a hard time lately but man that set up pass on that Simmer redirect was a laser!!!!

Man if he plays more like that they will have a better chance versus the Caps. They are going to need everyone rowing this boat if they are even to have a chance versus the Caps.

And thank you little baby jesus there is no shootout in the playoffs!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My gut says we take 2 games.  It will be competitive but talent and size will take their toll.  The Caps can score in bunches and make us look very slow.  But I see no sweep.

I'm hoping the president trophy curse will help them to game 7 where the pressure will be to much for the Caps and the Flyers win.........................

.......they did go 2-2-0 versus them this season so i see game 7 in the future!

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm hoping the president trophy curse will help them to game 7 where the pressure will be to much for the Caps and the Flyers win.........................

.......they did go 2-2-0 versus them this season so i see game 7 in the future!

If this happens, GO FLYERS! (JUST FOR THIS SERIES)

18 minutes ago, jackhole said:

This one's blacked out on GCL too!  WTH.  So sick of this bull.... did I pay for the games or what? :mad:

Anything that is broadcast on NBCSports or NHLnetwork will be blacked out.

Ghost with his 17th of the year as i type!!

Archived