Calgary Flames year in review

yave1964

PRESEASONth?id=OIP.Mb73b9e321eff4d3b6a257602e69a5 OUTLOOK: The Flames had been one of the leagues darlings the year before, surprising everyone not only by making the postseason but by winning a series and then playing the Ducks strong before bowing out. Dougie Hamilton and Michael Frolik were added tot he mix and Alberta was filled with optimism over this promising young talented club.

FINAL RECORD: 35-40-7 77 POINTS 12th in the West

BIZZARE STAT OF THE YEAR: Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau apparently must like the night life when away from home or something, his home/road splits were off the charts, at home, he was Patrick Kane,  (23-33-56 and a plus 21) but on the road he was not close to the same player, (7-15-22 and minus 17) easily the biggest disparagement of any player in the game. At home, he is a Hart candidate, on the road a non factor. Maybe Coach Hartley needs to check curfew a bit closer....

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: After a wretched start to the season the Flames caught fire in early December winning 7 in a row to go over .500 beating Dallas (twice), the Rangers, Sharks and Preds in that run. It looked as if they had turned the corner.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON: For the next two months they won a game or two, then lost a game or two, but in mid February the wheels fell off.  From Feb 12th thru Marvh 3rd they lost 9 of 10 and the season was effectively over.

The other low point, of course was the cross check by Dennis wideman to referee Don Henderson's head. That or Coach Hartley suspending Monahan, Gaudreau and Bouma for coming in hung over after watching the Super Bowl. I guess they had a lot of low points.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Home road splits and all, Gaudreauth?id=OIP.Mc1385f5bd0580e99b0dafad1e40e7 (30-48-78) was a point a game player. Sean Monahan (27-36-63) overcame a slow start to have a nice year. Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton formed a wonderful offensive trio from the back end. Mikael Backlund (21-26-47) finally began to reward the patience of the Flames with a solid year as a 2C. Joe Colborne (19-25-44) came back from the dead. Sam Bennett (18-18-36) in his rookie year showed enormous promise.

WHAT WENT WRONG: goaltending killed this team, pure and simple. Kari Ramo was the best of a weak bunch at 17-18- 2.63 goals against, .909 save pct. The rest were worse than this average at best goalie. Young Jonith?id=OIP.M2f670d5fafb01ce4db277d60673cc Ortio usually followed a good game with a bad one and Jonas Hiller showed why he will be likely playing in Switzerland next year. Even Niklas Backstrom made an appearance and was awful. Worst goaltending in the game.

Wideman, before and after taking out his frustrations for a perceived missed call by crosschecking a ref was awful. Frolik was okay for stretches but disappeared far too often. Rumor is that Mason Raymond plays in Calgary but was never seen. Calgary is probably the most top heavy team in Hockey two good lines and two that do not belong in the NHL. Jiri Hudler and David Jones were average before being dealt at the deadline.

FREE AGENTS: Ramo, Backstrom and Hiller are the only three and Calgary is glad to be rid of them all. None will be returned, possibly all gone from the NHL.

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2016-17: The odds are that young Jon Gillies will play in the AHL next year but if the netminding is bad again may get a recall, ALA Hellboy in Winnipeg this year....a few young forwards such as Garnet Hathaway, Hunter shinkaruk and Emile Porier will all battle to prop up the weak middle six. No defenseman show much promise.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: Who will be in net? The odds are a vet, such as Reimer or Ward will be added to the mix with Ortio returning, will it be enough? Will they be able to find secondary scoring somewhere? Will Hartley be returned?

The fact is the roster will be mostly returned with a few young forwards pushing for playing time, but they need to fix the net or it will be another two step forward, three step back year.

Ramo needs to step it up next season plain and simple. If he doesn't in preseason or at the latest really early in the season the Flames need to look in another direction plain and simple. They also need to get a capable back up and just unload those other goalies.

11 hours ago, Hose Head said:

Ramo needs to step it up next season plain and simple. If he doesn't in preseason or at the latest really early in the season the Flames need to look in another direction plain and simple. They also need to get a capable back up and just unload those other goalies.

I am not sold on Ramo being an NHL goaltender, I think his days are done, that he will be playing in Russia come the fall. Ortio is considered a bit of a peospect, but Gillies is a comer who will own the job in a year or two. I see them signing a Cam Ward type to bridge the time until Gillies is acclimated to the pro level.

BTW Welcome to the forums!

18 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am not sold on Ramo being an NHL goaltender, I think his days are done, that he will be playing in Russia come the fall. Ortio is considered a bit of a peospect, but Gillies is a comer who will own the job in a year or two. I see them signing a Cam Ward type to bridge the time until Gillies is acclimated to the pro level.

BTW Welcome to the forums!

Ramo has surely been a huge disappointment that is for sure. I really think if it wasn't for the shotty play of the goalies all season long they would have made the playoffs. They may have not gotten out of the 1st round, but they would have made it. Getting a capable goalie like a Cam Ward to bridge the gap to a prospect like Gillies is fine with me. I just want a post season visit and I think the goalies are holding them back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2016 at 8:35 AM, Hose Head said:

Ramo has surely been a huge disappointment that is for sure. I really think if it wasn't for the shotty play of the goalies all season long they would have made the playoffs. They may have not gotten out of the 1st round, but they would have made it. Getting a capable goalie like a Cam Ward to bridge the gap to a prospect like Gillies is fine with me. I just want a post season visit and I think the goalies are holding them back.

Just some info for you.

Archived