Couturier is done for the Series

hf101

If you missed it Couturier was injured while floating after his pass and Ovechkin nailed him with a hard hit that caught Couturier off balance. 

couturierinjuryovi.gif

First of all for the short term who do you think should replace him?

I know a lot of folks here like him, but he floats, avoids hits, and is horrendously slow and I'm not surprised at all that he got hit like this he avoids contact more than any other Flyer on the team.  The Flyers have no size at center in their lineup and the Caps are a much bigger team.  Thus if I were Hakstol I'd move up White to the 2nd line to play against Ovechkin.  It's all we got.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, hf101 said:

If you missed it Couturier was injured while floating after his pass and Ovechkin nailed him with a hard hit that caught Couturier off balance. 

couturierinjuryovi.gif

First of all for the short term who do you think should replace him?

I know a lot of folks here like him, but he floats, avoids hits, and is horrendously slow and I'm not surprised at all that he got hit like this he avoids contact more than any other Flyer on the team.  The Flyers have no size at center in their lineup and the Caps are a much bigger team.  Thus if I were Hakstol I'd move up White to the 2nd line to play against Ovechkin.  It's all we got.

I would dress Laughton in his place i guess. He is 6-1 and pretty fast go from there. 

Maybe sit Read even for someone.

@OccamsRazor, @Digityman

Yeah, I assume Laughton will play in game 2, but I don't see him being matched against Ovechkin's line.  While I get we're happy to be here, or it's at least a year too soon, ...  This team lacks size up the middle and Laughton isn't the answer.  Couturier was pushed to the ice rather easily, by no surprise as he lacks leg and core strength. Maybe Hakstol will play Bellamare's line against the Ovechkins line. I think it is his only choice.

32 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Here we go again...

Not even gonna comment on the original post. .

lol

What can I say, Couturier is one of my least favorite Flyers.  He has a big role, I get that, maybe it's a role that's above him, or maybe it's a role we hope he will develop into. However,  we don't have a replacement up the middle and that's an issue that needs to be addressed in the off-season if this team is to ever make a real playoff run.  Couturier does stick check and position himself rather well against his opponents, but he seems frail out there.  If I could honestly say I've seen improvement this year I might not be so harsh on him, but as the majority of the team plays with an edge he just doesn't play with an edge.  I think he generally passes well to teammates, but he's weak for his size as he shies from contact more than any other Flyer on the team.  

Let's not overlook that Washington is at home and has last change so it wasn't always possible to get Couturier out against Ovechkin.

And, let's face it, if that's a Flyer taking out a Cap in that situation, it's what we all want to have done. Ovechkin had a chance to lay out his pesky defender and he did it.

That said, Couturier wasn't why they lost the game. Losing Couturier wasn't why they lost the game.

When you see a big ZERO up in the "goals" column, you're simply not going to win games.

My girlfriend - a recent hockey convert - is getting her first real taste of playoff hockey and she just screamed at the teevee "Mason can't do it all by himself!"

Got to score goals. Period.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

yup and going 0 of 5 on the PP is not going to help either

Honestly, to call it a "power play" is being very generous.

It was the only time they had sustained time in the offensive zone, but they did very little offensively with it.

18 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I think Couts is a good player and he is a defensive gem... with that said I can't wait for him to be traded so I don't have to read this garbage anymore.

That might be wishful thinking. See:

Crater, Jeff

Richards, Mike

VR, J

Sharp, Patrick

I think its time to empty the farm in this series before everyone is hurt. Caps are too big and fast and the league has no balls to deal with Wilson and Orpik. Put Rosehill and Morin in, the gig is up. Be lucky to score a goal let alone win a game.

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Honestly, to call it a "power play" is being very generous.

Well ...by definition a PP occurs when you are skating with a a man advantage due to the opposition committing a penalty forcing one or more of their players to sit in a special box. Now what you do with the man advantage is a whole different story ... so yeah by definition they were on the PP .... BUT ....that is where the similarities ended.

Totally agree with your point loud and clear .....

9 minutes ago, B21 said:

Crater, Jeff

Richards, Mike

VR, J

Sharp, Patrick

well played  my friend.....

16 minutes ago, B21 said:

Crater, Jeff

Richards, Mike

VR, J

Sharp, Patrick

Oh, sure, but we "won" 3 out of 4 of those trades.

They're on the "won the trades" banner.

Also, too, you left out Williams, Justin

:ph34r:

wow really that was the hit? I was only halfway tuned in at the time. I heard Couturier got hit hard by #8 and wouldn't return...and I just assumed it was some bone-crunching, glass-shattering OMG hit that took him out. Now I see it's basically a run-of-the-mill hockey hit...that Couturier didn't see coming but should have.

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

If you missed it Couturier was injured while floating after his pass ...

He passes and gets hit like 0.5 seconds later... "floating"? You must be joking. I know you don't like the guy - and I do - but don't let it blind you too much please lol!

38 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I think its time to empty the farm in this series before everyone is hurt. Caps are too big and fast and the league has no balls to deal with Wilson and Orpik. Put Rosehill and Morin in, the gig is up. Be lucky to score a goal let alone win a game.

Ya you're probably right. On 2nd thought why even bother dressing anyone from the A? We're already down 1-0 in the series...let's face it it's over, no team in the history of the world has ever come back down 1-0. Might as well just forfeit R1, try again next year.

12 minutes ago, canoli said:

He passes and gets hit like 0.5 seconds later... "floating"? You must be joking. I know you don't like the guy - and I do - but don't let it blind you too much please lol!

Yeah, the notion that Cooter is the kind of hockey player who ever "floats" is ridiculous. His skating could be better, yup. And this series will show that he needs to continue to work on his foot speed. But, the word "float" is about effort and caring. Cooter is a 200 foot player who can play on my team any day of the week.

This dislike for him by certain posters, and the kinds of things it forces them to say/write is beyond the f******ng pale and they should be embarrassed by it. No offense, @hf101, but man.

Yeah HF - I mean...I hate to pile on but that was a pretty silly comment. The guy obviously has a weakness in foot speed but questioning his heart/desire to get in the mix, to be anything but dedicated to winning his shifts...I just don't see it.

I do agree that he hasn't shown much of an "edge" to his game since before he got hurt - whenever that was, a few months ago. His instinct and creativity on the PP produced results - thank god b/c the 1st unit couldn't get out of its own way the past month - but all in all his 2-way game (that he was developing nicely I think) dropped off from before he got hurt.

9 minutes ago, canoli said:

Yeah HF - I mean...I hate to pile on but that was a pretty silly comment. The guy obviously has a weakness in foot speed but questioning his heart/desire to get in the mix, to be anything but dedicated to winning his shifts...I just don't see it.

honestly, i have to agree with HF on this one, or at least lean in that direction.  i don't think the guy lacks heart or desire, but he is not a super-get-engaged player.  there's a lot of stick checking and skate-bys on loose pucks.  it keeps him in good position and free from overcommiting, i guess, but his literal impact is less than it could be.  should be.  whether that is since his injury or not, i don't know.  he's never been a real in-the-thick-of-things guy, but maybe more so recently.

20 minutes ago, aziz said:

he is not a super-get-engaged player.  there's a lot of stick checking and skate-bys on loose pucks.  it keeps him in good position and free from overcommiting, i guess, but his literal impact is less than it could be.  should be.

Ok, I'm going to stop you there.

What you are describing is a good hockey player, the kind you win with. His positioning is often perfect. The entire purpose is puck possession and mitigating risk (because he is playing against Ovie and Backstrom). Are you suggesting he should play more like Jordan Eberle and avoid that situation altogether, do a drive-by, because you know he might actually get hit by Ovechkin? 

Honest to god, people who have never played hockey should sometimes just shut it. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, I'm going to stop you there.

What you are describing is a good hockey player, the kind you win with. His positioning is often perfect. The entire purpose is puck possession and mitigating risk (because he is playing against Ovie and Backstrom). Are you suggesting he should play more like Jordan Eberle and avoid that situation altogether, do a drive-by, because you know he might actually get hit by Ovechkin. 

Honest to god, people who have never played hockey should sometimes just shut it. 

The thing is even if he were going to try and avoid a hit... Well, that is usually the entire point...   You have usually try and avoid a hit if possible.  Let's not pretend to think Ovie is a ***** either.   The guy is probably one of the most solid bodies in the NHL.

If you are judging a player that tries to avoid a hit than I guess we lost out on Gost...   He does it every single shift.

Archived