In 1983 Ken Dryden said this:

hf101

The behavior by some of the Fans last night was in poor taste, but I get why they threw them.  this was one of the worst endings for a hockey game that I'd ever been at. Some of the players lost their cool and discipline and so did some of the fans.  But the reffing during the third was very much favored towards the Caps.   Minutes before the Orlov hit where 3 Flyers were given misconducts there was an even up call on Streit who somehow came up from the bottom of the pile during a scrum and given a mysterious cross check.  30 seconds later  a blatant trip on Giroux that wasn't called on a scoring chance and a then seconds later a trip on Gudas that was called.  These Capital power plays changed the course of a well played exciting game.  

I think many of the bracelets were thrown in defiance of he poor officiating.   If the game needed to be given to Capitals via Power Plays then hell, why not have the Capitals be on the PP for the rest of the game and drive up the score.  

I found this tweet after I got home.  

Honestly, I'm tired of Flyers fans constantly complaining about the officiating.  I was at the game last night and the group of guys behind me were saying Orpik was faking the injury to draw a penalty.  Even after seeing the replay.  Even after seeing him carried off the ice by 2 people.  Even after seeing him go down the tunnel.  I even couldn't escape it in the bathroom when after the 1st period the guy at the sink next to me turns and says "This officiating is killing the Flyers, always does".  

Seriously?  What games are everyone watching?

The fact is the series has been called even.  Prior to the Flyers meltdown in the 2nd half of the 3rd period last night the PP's were even in the series.  The difference maker is that the Caps have scored on EIGHT of their 17 power plays.  The Flyers have scored on ZERO of their 13.

EIGHT.  ZERO.

The officiating isn't killing the Flyers, the Flyers offense is killing the Flyers.  They could have 20 PP's right now, it wouldn't matter.  They can't score on them.

Let's put it another way.  Holtby has as many points in this series as Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek COMBINED.  Through 3 games Giroux has just 6 shots on goal.  Manning has 9.  Gudas has 8.   

As for throwing the bracelets, it was disgusting.  So was the "moment of silence" for Ed Snider.  I love the Flyers, but games like last night make me despise some of my fellow Flyers fans.  The Flyers and their fans need to stop blaming the officials for every loss and start accepting that their team is just not good enough to compete with the Caps.

42 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

As for throwing the bracelets, it was disgusting.  So was the "moment of silence" for Ed Snider.  I love the Flyers, but games like last night make me despise some of my fellow Flyers fans.  

I agree and that's a really bad spot to be in.

I was not there last night, but I would have to imagine (hope) that this was more of the bandwagon last-minute-StubHub hipster crowd that has no idea who Ed Snider was than the STHs

Let the endless parade of Santa Claus references and superfluous lists of Philly sins commence, I'm staying away from national sports media consumption today

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Yeah and I wrote that Ken Dryden can go **** himself in 2016

3 minutes ago, sarsippius said:

I was not there last night, but I would have to imagine (hope) that this was more of the bandwagon last-minute-StubHub hipster crowd that has no idea who Ed Snider was than the STHs

Knew it would be a bad night when I was walking in and the parking lot was filled with tailgaters.  A lot of pot smoking going on too.  2 min before game started 30% of upper level was still empty.  People came in late bc tailgating was more fun to them

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Honestly, I'm tired of Flyers fans constantly complaining about the officiating.  I was at the game last night and the group of guys behind me were saying Orpik was faking the injury to draw a penalty.  Even after seeing the replay.  Even after seeing him carried off the ice by 2 people.  Even after seeing him go down the tunnel.  I even couldn't escape it in the bathroom when after the 1st period the guy at the sink next to me turns and says "This officiating is killing the Flyers, always does".  

The fact is the series has been called even.  Prior to the Flyers meltdown in the 2nd half of the 3rd period last night the PP's were even in the series.  The difference maker is that the Caps have scored on EIGHT of their 17 power plays.  The Flyers have scored on ZERO of their 13.

EIGHT.  ZERO.

The officiating isn't killing the Flyers, the Flyers offense is killing the Flyers.  They could have 20 PP's right now, it wouldn't matter.  They can't score on them.

Let's put it another way.  Holtby has as many points in this series as Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek COMBINED.  Through 3 games Giroux has just 6 shots on goal.  Manning has 9.  Gudas has 8.   

As for throwing the bracelets, it was disgusting.  So was the "moment of silence" for Ed Snider.  I love the Flyers, but games like last night make me despise some of my fellow Flyers fans.  The Flyers and their fans need to stop blaming the officials for every loss and start accepting that their team is just not good enough to compete with the Caps.

:56ce531864bc1_PostAwardsm:

I could not agree more.... great post IMO. And as a Flyers fan I could give two F&#(s about what Dryden said.

1 minute ago, eleven24 said:

Knew it would be a bad night when I was walking in and the parking lot was filled with tailgaters.  A lot of pot smoking going on too.  2 min before game started 30% of upper level was still empty.  People came in late bc tailgating was more fun to them

And there you have it, a bunch of pukes who aren't really there for the game 

I don't see how this is even relevant to the conversation this year. Flyers were high on PIMs, but that was more holding/tripping, etc than the bullying ones. And the big ones I can remember were the ones on Gudas that turned out to be bad calls - something like 45 minutes worth. One bad hit and a scrum at the end of a game does not a season define.

For all everyone wants to rag on the goalie and defense, the Flyers had the 7th best team save percentage and 12th best team GAA - so the defense wasn't stellar, but it was better than the Isles, Rangers, Red Wings, and Stars. The offense this year was woeful, and it's showing in the series. 21st overall in goals for, 25th in shooting percentage. The shooting percentage is worst among playoff teams, and only Detroit scored fewer goals.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I don't see how this is even relevant to the conversation this year. Flyers were high on PIMs, but that was more holding/tripping, etc than the bullying ones. And the big ones I can remember were the ones on Gudas that turned out to be bad calls - something like 45 minutes worth. One bad hit and a scrum at the end of a game does not a season define.

For all everyone wants to rag on the goalie and defense, the Flyers had the 7th best team save percentage and 12th best team GAA - so the defense wasn't stellar, but it was better than the Isles, Rangers, Red Wings, and Stars. The offense this year was woeful, and it's showing in the series. 21st overall in goals for, 25th in shooting percentage. The shooting percentage is worst among playoff teams, and only Detroit scored fewer goals.

great post AJ...  agree 100%. 

26 minutes ago, sarsippius said:

My brother and I were commenting on this  last night and you are correct, the playoff crowd is very different from the regular season crowd.  These people who you never see at the regular season games come out of the woodwork and get so pissed about things that we know to expect.

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

EIGHT.  ZERO.

:PostAward2: nothing else to add. :goodjob:

Oh another thing .... I don't give a rip about Dryden ......

50 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

.  A lot of pot smoking going on too. 

hey its legal now in PA :ermm:  I guess they forgot to define medical use from recreation use .....:ermm: (this is all I will say on this topic)

Pot + Alcohol + listless Flyer fans + Flyers team getting their asses handed to them = bad outcome.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

hey its legal now in PA :ermm:  I guess they forgot to define medical use from recreation use .....:ermm: (this is all I will say on this topic)

Pot + Alcohol + listless Flyer fans + Flyers team getting their asses handed to them = bad outcome.

I wish it were just weed... the game would be more chill.  It is the drunk assholes....

40 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

My brother and I were commenting on this  last night and you are correct, the playoff crowd is very different from the regular season crowd.  These people who you never see at the regular season games come out of the woodwork and get so pissed about things that we know to expect.

Yup, you see it all the time....

I don't mind bandwagon jumpers, just show some damn respect instead of playing to the Philly caricature.

4 hours ago, eleven24 said:

EIGHT.  ZERO.

I didn't say the officiating was the cause for the loss, but when you have an arena of disappointed / unhappy fans with an object given to them which can be thrown, the referee's probably could have decided to not send 3 Flyers to the dressing room early without trying to even up the misconducts.   Remember  - All of this took place Promptly after a Rocky ... lets go fight video too.    The refs are subject to blame here for throwing the fuel on the fire.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I didn't say the officiating was the cause for the loss, but when you have an arena of disappointed / unhappy fans with an object given to them which can be thrown, the referee's probably could have decided to not send 3 Flyers to the dressing room early without trying to even up the misconducts.   Remember  - All of this took place Promptly after a Rocky ... lets go fight video too.    The refs are subject to blame here for throwing the fuel on the fire.

ew no

9 hours ago, eleven24 said:

EIGHT.  ZERO.

Flyers fans never let a lack of knowledge about the game stop them from loudly voicing their opinions about the refs. The 'ref you suck' chant needs to stop yesterday. 

16 hours ago, Bakanekimiwa said:

Flyers fans never let a lack of knowledge about the game stop them from loudly voicing their opinions about the refs. The 'ref you suck' chant needs to stop yesterday. 

Well, many Flyers fans who attend these games average alcohol I.Q. by the 3rd period is usually about 170, so there.

Are you more tired of Flyers fans complaining about the officiating than you are of blatantly unbalanced officiating?  Of course there is some bias,  but there is hard evidence to back it up as well.  Giroux gets a hard trip and no call.  Seconds later Gudas barely touches Kuznetzov who drops like a sack, and a call is made.  How is one a trip and not the other?!  Streit getting called for a crosscheck "just because", and then three Flyers kicked from the game, and yet somehow no Capitals were blameless in the scrum.  Were the Flyers fighting themselves?  Must have been.

Earlier game, Simmonds and Wilson get into it, Wilson even dropping the gloves first, and yet Simmonds comes away with an extra minor.  In the regular season Beagle flat out runs Mason, no call.  In OT (!) Couturier is can openered into Holtby by the defense, and somehow that IS called against Cooter. 

These aren't missed calls, these are very similar circumstances that in every single case has inexplicably gone against the Flyers.  The Capitals may be a better team, why go so far out of the way to give them further undeserved advantages?

7 on 5 hockey sucks.

On 4/19/2016 at 8:48 AM, eleven24 said:

EIGHT.  ZERO.

I don't think the series has been called even at all.  Not even remotely.  That said, the refs are hardly the reason the Flyers are losing the series.  

The Flyers have been an extremely disciplined team during their run in the 2nd half this year.  It's been a big part of their game on a play by play basis.  THey still take dumb penalties, but actually it's been fewer than almost anyone else in the last few months.  

But they have a reputation.  

So what this results in, at least in this caps series so far, is early in games, the caps take dangerous runs at our guys, hit harder, leave their feet, cross check, high stick, trip, rough, elbow and whatever else they can.  Some is just good hard hockey and often they've been accurately penalized for the illegal stuff.  Fair enough.  No real complaints there.

The problem is that the Flyers literally can't play that way.  We've seen it in all three games.  The minute they start to play into that kind of a game and do the exact same stuff the caps are pulling on them, they sit regardless of whether it's a legit hit or an illegal hit or a phantom hit.   If you get rammed by Orpik and he doesn't sit, but you ram him back pretty much the same way and you sit...  well I start to have a problem with that and I will not hesitate to blame referees for that bias.  It was a factor in games one and two IMHO, but not enough to suggest the series would be different.  MAYBE, MAYBE the Flyers eek out an OT winner in game 1 if the refs called the game more fairly.  MAYBE.  

NOW at the EXACT same time, if the Flyers friggin Power Play wasn't so atrociously slow and clueless and could function at say... even just 20% maybe?  Then the caps wouldn't be able to get away with sitting for even the stuff they're supposed to sit for and they'd either have to stop or the Flyers would be winning this series 2-1.  

THE FLYERS NEED TO GET BETTER ON SPECIAL TEAMS.  We've known it all year.  It hasn't been addressed.  It hasn't changed.  Enough other good things happened that we all weren't so worried about it, but it's a concern going forward.  IT has to be Hakstol's #1 priority going in to next year.  

In the mean time, if the Flyers can't score on the PP and they can't stop the caps from scoring on the PP (and without Coots it appears they really can't) then there's really no point in playing out the series.

I'd love to know how officials are biased against a team that finished the regular season with the 2nd most PP opportunities and 3rd most time on the PP while at the same time finishing 12th in the number of times they were shorthanded and and 10th in total time on the PK.

Where do I sign up for that "bias"? :hocky:

7 minutes ago, B21 said:

I'd love to know how officials are biased against a team that finished the regular season with the 2nd most PP opportunities and 3rd most time on the PP while at the same time finishing 12th in the number of times they were shorthanded and and 10th in total time on the PK.

Where do I sign up for that "bias"? :hocky:

B21 - I agree completely.

The notion of the conspiracy theory against the Flyers is long winded and tired...  every team gets bad calls against them.   Time for Flyers fans to move on...   

Archived