Bryzgalov too sick to speak; finally breaks his silence

Guest Digityman

ILYA BRYZGALOV stopped 30 shots while tending goal through 60 sweaty minutes last night against the Chicago Blackhawks.

And then said he was too ill to speak to the media after the game, in which he blew a two-goal lead in a span of 25 seconds in the third period.

So, either Bryzgalov caught a cold from sitting on the 36-degree bench during Monday's Winter Classic, or the Flyers' brass told him to put a sock in his "hu-man-gous" mouth after defying coach Peter Laviolette last Sunday by purposely revealing Sergei Bobrovsky as the big-event starter.

After last night's game, a team spokesman originally said Bryzgalov was not available because he was receiving postgame treatment in a hot tub. Usually, someone with flulike symptoms would want to steer clear of anything warm.

The Flyers spokesman said he was instructed by general manager Paul Holmgren to "not make him speak" since he was sick.

When asked, Holmgren reiterated that Bryzgalov was ill and that they wanted him to leave the facility as quickly as possible to avoid contaminating the rest of the team.

Last night was Bryzgalov's first game action since Dec. 27 in Tampa Bay.

This would not be the first time this season the Flyers have tried to limit Bryzgalov's interaction with the media, as Laviolette and Holmgren said on Oct. 28 that their $51 million goaltender would only speak after games. The Professional Hockey Writers Association threatened a grievance and the Flyers quickly withdrew their policy.

- Frank Seravalli

Usually, someone with flulike symptoms would want to steer clear of anything warm.

Really? Never heard that before. I would think if you've got the flu a nice warm soak would be what you'd want. As opposed to say, going outside in shorts and a t-shirt and rolling around in the snow.

No doubt this is Homer telling him to shut his piehole. Dude's a flake and I believe he is having serious problems handling the media here and the increased spotlight....none of which I would care about if he was stopping the puck

Why do the Philly media feel that it's such a slap in the face if he doesn't talk to the media after a game. I just don't get it. Go ask someone else questions if the guy doesn't want to talk. I find it kind of funny the difference in media in places like Philly and Toronto compared to Edmonton, Calgary or even Vancouver. From what I've seen is that the media shows so much more respect to the players in these markets. Is it because a guy like Bryz or Pronger can write a story for them with there quotes? It was the end of the world after the game on twitter because they couldn't talk to Bryz. I don't know. Just something I've noticed over the last little while. Even more so with twitter.

Edited by albertaflyer

Why do the Philly media feel that it's such a slap in the face if he doesn't talk to the media after a game. I just don't get it. Go ask someone else questions if the guy doesn't want to talk. I find it kind of funny the difference in media in places like Philly and Toronto compared to Edmonton, Calgary or even Vancouver. From what I've seen is that the media shows so much more respect to the players in these markets. Is it because a guy like Bryz or Pronger can write a story for them with there quotes? It was the end of the world after the game on twitter because they couldn't talk to Bryz. I don't know. Just something I've noticed over the last little while. Even more so with twitter.

Because the sports media in Philadelphia basically sucks. Hate to admit it, but it's true.

@Digityman

I find this whole story to be a complete lie. And I'm laughing as how much is being made of it. Bryz doesn't have to talk after every game.

Bryzgalov wanted to leave ASAP to watch Russia play Sweden. Nothing more...nothing less. And the team, holmgren covered for him.

...... Check his twitter

I think Bryz's ailment is contagious. I've felt a little sick watching him on some nights.

Hey I'll take him struggling now then in April. I do recall Bobrovsky being on fire at the start of last season. Then near the end looked like Bryz right now. There's no doubt in my mind he'll get his game back. But the Flyers also have to get another solid D man to have any shot.

@Digityman

I find this whole story to be a complete lie. And I'm laughing as how much is being made of it. Bryz doesn't have to talk after every game.

Are you saying that the Philly media would bitch and complain about a player when they don't get what they want?

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Finally breaks his silence:

http://phillysportsd...breaks-silence/

Coming off a shaky performance against the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night, in which he gave up four goals and refused to talk to the media afterward, citing an illness, Bryzgalov opened up slightly on Friday afternoon after practice.

“Great,” Bryzgalov answered when asked how he felt. “Next question.”

The franchise goaltender was short and seemed in poor spirits, as he jokingly, but with a straight face, cited the United States Constitution for his right to not speak to the media on Thursday. He told those who have an issue with him, take it to the Supreme Court. After all, it’s a free country.

“It’s a team policy that we do not disclose any injury or sickness,” he said, concerning his postgame illness.

Ever since leaking the Flyers’ goalie plans for the Winter Classic in a fit of frustration, Bryzgalov, the backup in the event, was expected to have the hush tag placed over him by the organization. That, mixed with Bryzgalov’s personal anger about the way he’s played of late, giving up four or more goals in four of his last five games, saw the normally charismatic and humorous goaltender spewing coach-speak.

“Let’s not go back to the past, lets look to the future,” Bryzgalov said, asked about the motivating factor of not playing in the Winter Classic. “I think we had a great game last night, the team played unbelievable. We faced a great opponent and it was a great game for the fans and we played extremely well.

“Last night, I was happy with my game, I saw a lot of positive signs. I was happy.”

Coach Peter Laviolette shrugged off any criticism of his goalie’s play.

“I think there are always things we can do better as a group,” said the coach. “There are things our team can do better.”

With back-to-back games against the Ottawa Senators this weekend and three road games in five days next week, Bryzgalov will have the opportunity to catch a groove and gain confidence in net. If not, the virus which causes Russian goaltenders to go silent, might rear its head once again.

“I don’t have a crystal ball to predict the future,” Bryzgalov said. “But hopefully we’ll continue to play better.”

Really? Never heard that before. I would think if you've got the flu a nice warm soak would be what you'd want. As opposed to say, going outside in shorts and a t-shirt and rolling around in the snow.

I thought the same thing. I guess Frank has never been sick before...

I really wish these beat writers would get over themselves when it comes to this kind of thing. I felt the same way when we had Emery. Every article it seemed coming from Carchidi seemed like he was trying to stir the pot, just waiting for that inevitable Emery meltdown and then he'd be in prime position to report on it. Emery came in on his best behavior yet Carchidi still prodded and wouldn't let events from the past go. I wondered, "does this guy WANT Emery to implode? is Carchidi even a Flyers fan?" I almost feel the same way with these guys and Bryz. Let the man go and find his game and stop worrying about his universe and thermos or anything else for that matter

I work in as a broadcast meteorologist in Colorado (grew up in Phlly) and see the inner workings of a newsroom each day and quite frankly it sickens me to see how the level of professionalism has dropped. Everyone has to be first, not correct, and if it creates a bit of controversy, then all the better...who cares about credibility anymore or even respect. The piranha news folks in Philly are really annoying. Badgering with the same questions until they get the answer that fits their already pre-written theory about a player or coach. Charchidi and Panachio are really aggressive and will stop at nothing to get what they feel is a nice nugget of controversy. Probably loved by their boss, but have some respect for the team and the individual. Bryz is a flake, he needs to be restricted by the Flyers as far as his commets go, and it is obviously affecting his play, so leave him be for a while and see if he comes around on the ice. Insted Panachio and Carchidi want to push him into another "outstanding" episode. I know the reporters have a job to do, but do it with some dignity and respect for the players. I agree with the above comment...the Philly media thinks they are intitled to an interview with anyone they want, they are trying to make the story about the story, and that is just wrong and narcissistic.

Needless to say, I probably shouldn't be in the news industry.

@Spinorama

totally. Cachiardi was one of the worst offenders during that time. For weeks he couldn't let it go that Emery was once short with him, probably after being asked the same question over and over. Every story that loser wrote that mentioned Emery had to have the phrase "who was short with reporters a few days ago." Richards was the same way with that and Panoccio always tried to nail him for it.

Look at the quality of the questions Bryz will get: go back and look at the video of him announcing he wasn't starting in the WC and count how many times the reporters who can't get untracked from their half-written stories ask him "What's your mindset going into the WC tomorrow?" or something else along those lines. Cachiardi and Panaccio's wannabe TMZ reporters are completely uncreative, unprofessional, and just plain bad and lazy journalists, if you can even call them that.

My whole view on Pinaccio and Carchidi is like everyone they know it's a bad contract. But it's like they need Bryz to play bad to justify thier opinion's. I also think that it is very easy for them to feed Bryz questions that are going to get him going. Like after the Tampa game asking him how he felt about his game. Come on the guy played terrible and he knows it so they keep pushing it right after the game. They knew exactly what they were going to get out of Bryz. I don't blame the Flyers for trying give the philly press less access to him. Right now they deserve it. Guys we all know it's a bad contract. But do I want the guy to fail because of it. Not a chance. I can't say the philly media feels the same way.

Edited by albertaflyer