What price Gleason

Guest BobDailey

This guy is what- a real 3-4 dman correct? Not a 1-2?

What do you think the Canes are asking?

I cant see Walker really subbing for Timmo long term (have not heard anything yet about that one way or another) and dont know if "mini-Kimmo" Gustaffson is ready to come back and what minutes he can chew successfully

This may force their hand........

I agree with otto, were not Stanley Cup contenders anyway, just play out the year with whatever we got.. don't mortgage the future again..

I agree, don't mortgage the future. That being said, I would be fine with shipping off a high profile roster player (including rookies) for a guy like Weber or Suter. The only player that goes nowhere is Giroux. Everyone else is fair game... as long as we're not sending multiple guys and gut our forward strength as a result!

I disagree, we have some good young talent here now (Read, Simmonds, JVR, Schenn, Mono Boy, Bob, Bourdon, ect)

let's keep building on this and we'll get there eventually

True, but you gotta give quality to get some in return. So I would be fine if someone like Couturier had to go for a guy like Weber. Sure, I'd like to keep Coots too, but Talbot is perfectly capable of taking his spot on the 4th line with Rinaldo and Z or Sestito. Already reduces the logjam at center.

@brelic

yeah Couturier is playing on the fourth line now but five years from now he will be a #2 center at the very worst. At 18, his all-around game is fantastic and I can only see him getting better and better and better.

I hear where you are coming from about needing to give up serious assets to land a player like Webber.......but I am drooling over how good couturier will be in five years, and only being 24 yrs of age. I'd like to keep him around.

@brelic

yeah Couturier is playing on the fourth line now but five years from now he will be a #2 center at the very worst. At 18, his all-around game is fantastic and I can only see him getting better and better and better.

I hear where you are coming from about needing to give up serious assets to land a player like Webber.......but I am drooling over how good couturier will be in five years, and only being 24 yrs of age. I'd like to keep him around.

Hey, I totally agree. Couturier will (likely) be awesome. I add that caveat because you really never know what will happen. He could peak as a #1 center, or he could peak in his 2nd year and play the rest of his career bumping around from line to line, team to team. But we do know what Weber is now, and we need a guy like that for the next 7-10 years.

The consolation is that we have a deep young squad, with guys like JVR, Schenn, Read, Voracek, and yes, Giroux who have yet to hit their stride and who we hope will be a part of this squad for a long time.

If our team was like it was last year, I would be much more hesitant to give up a promising young rookie like Couturier.

We could also parlay Bob into a pretty nice return too, if Homer decides to go that way. TB is crying for a goalie, and if it weren't for the fact that their defense sucks too, we might be able to pry away a guy like Hedman.

This may force their hand........

If Kimmo is out for an extended period of time AND Gustafson doesn't quickly provide a lot of offense, then yes, their hand is forced in a sense. In other words, more than likely the Flyers will be shopping for another defenseman. However, I don't see Homer paying a steep price for anyone; he's smart enough to know that the Flyers are a long shot to go all the way so won't be "loading up" (I know, famous last words but still...).

Regarding Gleason, I don't think he provides enough offense to make him really worth while for the Flyers. He's a good player and his contract fits, but the thing they are going to miss most with Kimmo out is offense, something Gleason provides little of.