Burnside: Flyers should look at Visnovsky or Lydman

Guest brelic

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13567/trade-rumblings-leafs-bolts-ducks-in-mix

Ducks GM makes headlines

Anaheim GM Bob Murray made some waves earlier this week with his comments to Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register and Hall of Fame columnist Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, saying that other than Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu, any other player on his roster was available.

Murray, frustrated by his team’s dismal display this season, didn’t back down from that sentiment Friday morning.

"What I said is what I said, right now I’m listening to everything," Murray told ESPN.com. "It would be very difficult to make the type of deals I want, but I’m listening for sure. I still think we have a decent core here, but we’re maybe going to have to change a piece or two."

Odds are, especially if it’s a trade involving Ryan Getzlaf or Bobby Ryan, it may wait until the offseason around the June entry draft so that more teams can be involved in the bidding and more pieces can be involved.

"But sometimes blockbusters happen at the trade deadline, you never know," Murray said.

Know this: Murray is going to be ultra-patient with this. He’s not in a hurry and he’s not interested in a total rebuild. He won’t do that to his fans, he said. If he makes a big move or two over the next year, it’s going to be to make the team better both in the short term and long term.

Fact is, almost every team in the league has either already called about Getzlaf or certainly will. But not all of them have the goods to get in on the top floor of those discussions. My belief is that Murray would want a young core player or two in return. Not every team can deliver on that.

Just guessing here, but two clubs that I believe would possibly have a fit for the Ducks is Buffalo and Philadelphia. The Sabres need to do something given how their season has gone whether it’s Getzlaf or Ryan, that would be a statement deal for Sabres GM Darcy Regier. The Flyers need a defenseman more than anything with Chris Pronger’s season-ending injuries. Given Murray’s statement that everyone is basically available on his roster, if I were Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, I’d be kicking the tires on either Lubomir Visnovsky orToni Lydman...

I would definitely be interested in getting Sbisa back, he's only 21 and I think he'll be a good one. He probably wouldn't be a replacement for Pronger this year though (although I'm not sure that Pronger is an adequate replacement for Pronger anymore either) but with Coburn, Carle, and Mez, he'd give the Flyers a nice group for the future.

@radoran

Visnovsky is a good PP QB but not sure of his defense as I don't watch the Ducks much. I don't want another 35 year old dman plus he's under contract for another year at 5.6mil cap hit. Ducks would want more then what we would like to give up.

I've been a fan of Visnovsky since picking him up as a FA in my first FHL many many moons ago. I've followed him ever since. His D, while not "prongeresque" isn't bad.

That said, again, the only reason I'd look at him is if Timo is down for a significant spell and even then only if the price was right.

Watched Lydman in Buffalo for a few years, if you want a D-man who is going to put up points he's not your guy, but if you want a solid stay at home D-man who blocks a ton of shots he is def capiable. Very underrated was mad to see him leave Buffalo.

I was a bit surprised that the Sabres let him go, but I think they were hoping he'd be more of an offensive guy than he is.

Sabres were still pinching pennies then same with Tallinder. Before the Pegula era.

Yeah, but neither of them made too too much more than they did when they were in Buffalo. I got the real feeling that the organization was ready to get rid of both of them for reasons not entirely limited to money.

Yeah, but neither of them made too too much more than they did when they were in Buffalo. I got the real feeling that the organization was ready to get rid of both of them for reasons not entirely limited to money.

They wanted Lydman more but Darcy couldn't commit to more than 2 years and Anaheim gave him 3 same money though. Tallinder should give Myers some his salary every year, because he's the reason NJ gave him a boat load of $.

I think he'll be a good one

I don't see a lot of the Ducks but on the occasions I've seen them, I see Sbisa playing about 12 minutes a game and doing nothing to distinguish himself. Is he progressing? Is he a guy on a bad team that needs a change of scenery? Did we overrate him? He's pretty young and defensemen usually take a lot of time, even the really good ones at times. What would be a reasonable price to get him back? Please don't say a 2nd round pick...

I don't see a lot of the Ducks but on the occasions I've seen them, I see Sbisa playing about 12 minutes a game and doing nothing to distinguish himself. Is he progressing? Is he a guy on a bad team that needs a change of scenery? Did we overrate him? He's pretty young and defensemen usually take a lot of time, even the really good ones at times. What would be a reasonable price to get him back? Please don't say a 2nd round pick...

I don't see much of the Ducks either, and while I agree that he hasn't particularly distinguished himself he also hasn't embarrassed himself. He's only 21, there aren't all that many 21 defensemen even playing in the NHL. He's still mostly potential but he's got decent size, hits, looks pretty good both ways... I'd say he's worth a 2nd rounder. (sorry)

I'd say he's worth a 2nd rounder. (sorry)

I asked you not to say that....

Still, I kind of doubt he could be had for a 2nd. A 1st maybe, but for the reasons you give I doubt they would part with him for a low 1st. There a lot of guys they'd sooner rid themselves of for picks. BTW, he's playing 16 minutes a game.

Meanwhile, Burnside overlooks the fact that we can't afford either Lydman and even less Visnovsky.

I would suggest avoiding defense men shorter then 6'3" and 215lbs.The little guys just don't hold up.No more Euros(no balls),I'm sure Lilja would agree.How about trying some Phantoms,low risk and the price is right.

Right. Because Timonen has been such a wuss. No durability at all. Btw, Nick Lidstrom is 6'1", 190 lbs. He'll never last in the NHL. We certainly don't want any of those types on the Flyers.

How about Shelley? He is a great locker room guy. Wink wink, nudge nudge.....

Seems fair to me. We get a promising young puck moving defenseman and they get an overpriced, 4th line character guy who's good in the room and scores a goal or two every season. I like the deal so much, I'll even throw in Matt Walker. How could they say no?

I would suggest avoiding defense men shorter then 6'3" and 215lbs.The little guys just don't hold up.No more Euros(no balls),I'm sure Lilja would agree.How about trying some Phantoms,low risk and the price is right.

Timonen. Lidstrom, as Jack mentioned. Erik Karlsson is 5'11" and a buck seventy five and leads ALL blueliners in scoring. Chara is Euro. Kronwall is 6' and 190 and excellent. Ekmann-Larson. Meszaros is 6'2". Seidenberg. Visnoksky.