Capitals choke again!

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This is all I'm really saying.   

I don't know what I do if I'm Washington management.  Because trading him, like I mentioned, would be a PR nightmare and kill merchandise sales.   Also, you run the risk of not having the regular season results you had with him.  And maybe you end up with no better results in the playoffs.  Maybe the package you get, though, makes the team more balanced and you finally at least make it to the conference finals.

I actually think it would border on nuts to trade him.  But they're not going to win with him.

A guy named Gretzky was traded from a place where he was royalty, Edmonton. It would not be nuts to trade Ovechkin if they got a lot for him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All is not lost in Cap land .... maybe the Bears can beat the Baby Pens for ya ;)

Series is tied 2-2

Atlantic Division Finals – Series “I” (best-of-7) 
A1-Hershey Bears vs. A3-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 

Game 1 – Wed., May 4 – W-B/Scranton 4, HERSHEY 0
Game 2 – Fri., May 6 – HERSHEY 2, W-B/Scranton 0
Game 3 – Sat., May 7 – Hershey 5, W-B/SCRANTON 2
Game 4 – Mon., May 9 – W-B/SCRANTON 2, Hershey 1 (OT)
Game 5 – Wed., May 11 – W-B/Scranton at Hershey, 7:00
Game 6 – Fri., May 13 – Hershey at W-B/Scranton, 7:05
*Game 7 – Sun., May 15 – W-B/Scranton at Hershey, 5:00

45 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

A guy named Gretzky was traded from a place where he was royalty, Edmonton. It would not be nuts to trade Ovechkin if they got a lot for him.

I actually agree.  Yeah, I'd thought of Gretzky too (in the context of "if Gretzky can be traded...").  It would take some significant kahunas from management, but I'd be looking around.  

The only potential difference is that as upset as Edmonton fans were when the Gretzky trade happened, they were mostly long term hockey fans.   In the case of Washington, while there are certainly a lot of long-term fans, there are a lot that are there due to Ovechkin.  I'm not saying "don't do it!" based on this.  I'm just saying it will add to management's heartburn.

15 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Lol, you've conceded to your irrational detestation towards all of Caps. Can't take anything you say regarding them seriously. Sorry.

Who advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals? Who is crying now?

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

It may sound crazy, but I feel it may be the best thing for the Capitals if they could land several really good players in return for him. They have won a lot of regular season games with Ovechkin, but the ultimate goal is to hoist The Cup which they have not. It could be time to change things up.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

13165950_10209354326392372_5179011362928321942_n.jpg

Classic! Perfect banner to hang next to their Presidents trophy banner! Washington Capitals 2015-16, "we owned the regular season"

Just now, JagerMeister said:

@SkyHigh30 Trading the greatest goal scorer of this generation is not a wise idea. A player of Ovechkin's calibre is a once in a generation type of player.

I understand he is truly an exceptional player and one of the top players in the game right now, but what if they get a ridiculous deal where they get 3 or 4 really good young players in return?

@SkyHigh30 Well actually. Its not that crazy of a suggestion. Ovechkin isn't what he used to be when he was younger, his goalscoring has remained consistent but his overall production has decreased. That, and he's 30 years old. One improvement he has made is defensive play but he is not as dynamic as a point producer and will likely not improve in that aspect. 

2 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

@SkyHigh30 Trading the greatest goal scorer of this generation is not a wise idea. A player of Ovechkin's calibre is a once in a generation type of player.

Yep.  And Gretzky was a punk.

(I'm on the fence on this one, to be honest, and am just as inclined to agree with you on this one).

EDIT:  I just read your post to Sky after posting this.  Man, I'm on board with your line of thinking there, too.   Like I said, fence, on it.

The Caps had the deepest team they've ever assembled. They had the stud in net. Ovechkin buying in, finally, to a team concept. They brought in grit on the blueline, and guys who knew what it took to win from the Kings. 

And after having trouble beating a borderline playoff team with a gawdawful defence they lost, yet again, in round 2. 

I'm not going to blame Ovechkin for losing this. He played well and it wasn't all about him and his goals for a change. But whether he's playing on one of the most talented teams in the NHL or for Mother Russia, as good as he is he just doesn't seem to be able to get it done. Not when it's best on best. That will be his legacy until he proves otherwise. And the clock has been ticking for a long time.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:59 PM, ruxpin said:

Murray, a rookie, beat him four games to two.  His post is in arguable, but I know you'll go another 20 posts trying anyway.  Attrition and all that. 

It's like you think the point isn't to win the series.  There is no Miss Congeniality award in hockey playoffs.  Win or go home and sit down. 

Murray 1

Holtby 0

AMEN!

Can't believe no ones talking about the handshake line...where victorious Phil kessel pulled out his smartphone and took photos of an obviously humiliated Alex Ovechkin while he laughed at him.

Oh, that's right...cause it didn't happen. Kessel may be a strange dude, but he's not the jerk Ovechkin is when put in similar situations.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, but only because his hands were full of cheeseburgers!

He keeps s Irving one point per game in the playoffs and not missing any games all season, he can eat all the cheeseburgers he wants. 

On 5/11/2016 at 11:28 PM, Lindbergh31 said:

What a surprise, the Capitals choke again! Holtby gets outplayed by rookie and Ovie is Crosby's bitch again. Hopefully the Lightning can do what the Capitals couldn't.

Let's hope not! Pens must be doing well! Every one is jumping on board!

• 11 months later...
On 2016-05-13 at 10:32 AM, notfondajane said:

Let's hope not! Pens must be doing well! Every one is jumping on board!

Wow, almost a year to the date and the same result again! I was really hoping the Caps would get over the hump especially after winning game 5 and 6 but they didn't. Ovechkin is still Crosby's bitch and Caps fans have to wonder if it's time to consider trading him or hope that he really wants to play in the Olympics and decides to retire from the NHL and go home to play in the KHL. Wow, it's got to suck being a Caps fan and having this team disappoint again.

Who would want him at those prices? I have to say I think Washington's first problem is that they have severely over rated him. He just aint that good. You can't build a Stanley Cup winner around him. He cannot lead like some others in the league do. Sure he scores a ton of goals during the regular NHL season, but past history has shown that he has been easily eliminated once the level of play is jacked up.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Caps do.

44 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Who would want him at those prices? I have to say I think Washington's first problem is that they have severely over rated him. He just aint that good. You can't build a Stanley Cup winner around him. He cannot lead like some others in the league do. Sure he scores a ton of goals during the regular NHL season, but past history has shown that he has been easily eliminated once the level of play is jacked up.

It seems like he is like Phil Kessel was in Toronto! Maybe there is to much pressure on him to produce that the supporting cast isn't supporting him enough! 

47 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Washington has 11 RFA AND UFAS! Which Washington has to figure out what to do with 

46 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Washington has 11 RFA AND UFAS! Which Washington has to figure out what to do with 

For those playing along at home...here they are:

2017-18  
Oshie UFA
Williams UFA
Kuznetsov RFA
Winnik UFA
Burakovsky RFA
Carey UFA
Alzner UFA
Shattenkirk UFA
Orlov RFA
Schmidt RFA
Grubauer RFA

2018-19

Eller UFA
Wilson RFA
Beagle UFA
Carlson UFA
Chorney UFA

10 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Wow, almost a year to the date and the same result again! I was really hoping the Caps would get over the hump especially after winning game 5 and 6 but they didn't. Ovechkin is still Crosby's bitch and Caps fans have to wonder if it's time to consider trading him or hope that he really wants to play in the Olympics and decides to retire from the NHL and go home to play in the KHL. Wow, it's got to suck being a Caps fan and having this team disappoint again.

I think the debate is forever over by their head to head playoff comparison.   This should have been the Caps year. No Murray. No Letang.   Daley out for last two games. Caps stocked.    Picture below must be how Caps fans feel. 

oviebrown.jpg

Here are some wonderful reactions from Cap fans after last night loss .... (enjoy! :VeryCool:)

• Honestly, I'm so depressed right now, if the Swedish Bikini Team kicked in my hotel door and demand a day-long orgy, I'm completely certain I wouldn't enjoy it, and, in fact, I might not even agree to it.

• That has to be the most depressing, frustrating PAINFUL loss. Lazy Alex Ovechkin, and god-awful Kevin Shattenkirk allowed Hornqvists second "floater" backhand, which surprised Holtby!  That was the nail in the coffin.
  • Caps will never get to the conference finals or the Cup with Lazy Alex Ovechkin as the captain.  He is lazy, only plays when he feels like it and does only two things well... really well: (1) big slapshot from the top of the circle on power plays (2) hits big when the opponent is not looking.  He does those two things well and everything else is AVERAGE.... he is so overrated and should NOT be the captain.  He is lazy, picks his spots and is NOT inspiring... just a stupid playboy who loves life off the ice more than winning.... lazy Russian!
  • God, Ovi looked heartbroken.  I mean literally like death-in-the-family heartbroken.
  • This year had to be different. They had everything. But not winning 1 game home was a disaster. And to be honest, somewhat, I was expecting them to be stressed like in the early games.  But this is the most heartbreaking loss ever to me. Before , we always had some minor problems in different positions, but now this is a complete team who struggled in the net. I think the goalie was the main difference and THAT WAS NOT EXPECTED. So this is by far the MOST DIFFICULT and PAINFUL loss.... To see Holtz struggling since the start of the series was a surprise.
  • ...think i'm gonna throw up.
  • I don't even care anymore.  There is no excuse for the crap play we saw tonight. I'll say it again; these guys simply did not bring it.  They should have been hitting the entire game. They should have been intimidating the smaller Hens.  They should have remembered how to pass, hit the puck without fanning, pass the puck without turning it over repeatedly, and they should know how to shoot the puck without over-passing.  Well surprise, they know how to do this. We know they know, but for some damned reason all that went out the window because
  • THEY CHOKED!  THEY HAVE NO HEART!!  I hope the Pens win the cup again. I despise them, but am getting to hate this core group of Caps even more. I want their stupid, lazy faces rubbed in it.......AGAIN
  •  Blow it all up. I want a totally new team next year. All new players, new coaching staff, new GM. None of these losers deserve to stay in Washington. **** this team. I don't want to hear about how Pitt is a good team. I don't want to hear about how good MAF was. Caps choked, plain and simple. They couldn't get it up when they needed to the most. They couldn't ******* play for each other, knowing that this was their biggest opportunity to win a Cup, knowing that many would have to part ways after the off season. **** this team. Ovie and Backy should get shipped to a team that actually gives a ****. Holtby should go, he sucked massive ***** left and right all series long. Everyone else should go. Trotz should go, he can't coach in the playoffs for ****. **** this.  How the **** can you play in a game ******* 7, knowing this is your ONE SHOT to win the Cup, and play like ****? How do you not come out steamrolling every Penguin in sight?
  • I should have known better than to think they'd do anything other than soil their drawers tonight.
  •  I'm done and I mean truly done. Over 30 years of this. This franchise is cursed and is simply NEVER going to win. They just aren't. Can make up every excuse or reason in the world. Can build and rebuilt and retool. Can hire any coach, GM you want. Will NEVER matter......this franchise will NEVER win.
  •  The Washington Capitals are losers, pure and simple.  Anything else complicates the facts/reality.
  • No Stanley Cup since.... George Washington.... Never out of the Eastern Conference, despite having the most prolific scorer and best goalies in the NHL.... traded for the so-called best defenseman in 2017 - Shiitenttenkirk...traded for Oshiit.... traded for Justin 'I'm over the hill" Williams.... stupid trade for Niskanen and Oprick who yielded nothing but overpaid defensemen.... .... what else?
  • Anyway, the RESULTS say it all. Caps are done.  Sorry to say, but that is the BITTER REALITY.  I can't sugar coat the GAME SEVEN LOSS.... AGAIN!!!!! [and again and again and again!]
  • I wonder what heartbreaking way they would have beat us if they'd managed to trade fluery at the deadline?
  • The Caps - The nightmare that you never wake up from.
  • Heart.... Penguins have it ....Caps, well they have it when they lose....more
  • Our goal next season is to win our 3rd consecutive President's Cup. Yipeeeee! That's called sarcasm, Caps fans…The President's Cup = a golf tournament, so....
  • Death.......... Taxes.......... Another CHOKE JOB by the Crapitals

12 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I think the debate is forever over by their head to head playoff comparison.   This should have been the Caps year. No Murray. No Letang.   Daley out for last two games. Caps stocked.    Picture below must be how Caps fans feel. 

oviebrown.jpg

LOL ...That is flat out funny!!!!  

Archived