Ducks year in review

yave1964

PRESEASON OUTLOOK: th?id=OIP.M69ecfa20b18c881887164d9bbb133 After making the WCF and losing in a hard fought seven game series, the ducks added Hagelin from the Rangers and rugged Bieksa from the Canucks to make the team harder to play against. They also added enigmatic Jiri Sekac and goalie Anton Khubodin so as to allow Gibson a year in the AHL. On paper they were better and the hated Hawks were worse. Hopes were high for Boudreau and company to challenge for a cup.

FINAL RECORD: 46-25-11 103 points Won their division, lost in the first round in 7 games to the Predators.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: The Ducks were shut out 5 times in their first 8 games,and then over the rest of the season were only shut out 2 times all year. The Ducks had the leagues best power play and also the leagues best penalty kill. But at even strength they were only a very average plus 4 which explains why when refs sit on their whistles a bit more in the postseason they were bounced.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: After a start so slow that it crawled and calls for Coach Boudreau's head, the ducks slowly ccratched and clawed their way back to respectability. After Christmas and until March 5th, the Ducks were insanely hot going 25-4-2 to pull ahead of the Kings and Sharks and win the division yet again.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: Well two actually. First, the God awful start in which they simply could not but a goal, going 1-7-2 out of the gate and only scoring more than 2 goals exactly once.

The other, once again they led in a series only to lose in a game 7 costing Boudreau his job.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Corey Perry overcame a slow start to lead the team with 34 goals. Same with th?id=OIP.M9cc3ad37278c43ec1226046619798 Getzlaf (13-50-63) who couldnt buy a goal but managed to put up decent points. John Gibson and Frederik Andersen were a dynamic duo in net. Ryan Kesler was as good a two way forward as there is. The team gave up the least amount of goals in Hockey young Vatanen, Fowler and Lindholm were all damn good. Rickard Rackell came from nowhere to score 20 goals and Silferberg came from the dead to score 20 himself. David Perron came over from Pittsburgh and until injured found his game again. Shea th?id=OIP.M3a97a67dd596dce842a1c3f1a59ce Theodore showed signs of yet another studly young defenseman on the horizon.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Well losing in 7 games in the first round was an anvil to the testicles for ya. Chris Stewart is a shadow of his former self. Shawn Horcoff was a non entity after being a good 3rd liner for years. Same with Mike Santorelli, secondary scoring was dreadful all year. Patrick Maroon was pretty bad then donated to Edmonton. Carl Hagelin was a bust as was goalie Khubodin and Sekac. Garbutt came from Chicago and contributed zilch. Speer carriers Stoner and Nate Thompson were injured much of the year. Bieksa was just a body, overpaid by far. Overall they were a two line team in spite of efforts to address this they failed miserably.

MVP: Corey Perry scored 34 goals after a wretched start to lead the way.

FREE AGENTS: Almost their entire middle six bunch of forwards are free agents and decisions will have to be made:

Chris Stewart almost certainly gone.

Horcoff,same.

Santorelli, same.

David Perron played very well after coming over from Pittsburgh and wants to come back.

Jamie McGinn came from buffalo and was okay, he deserves consideration as well.

Khubodin is likely heading to Europe.

TOP PROSPECTS: Nick GettyImages-456040170.0.jpg Ritchie didnt do much in a cup of coffee but looks to be a rugged power forward the team desperately needs. Shea Theodore may move into a top 4 role on defense allowing the trade of Vatanen. Gibson coming into his own may allow the Ducks to trade Andersen. Stefan Noessen could claim one of the middle six forward roles vacated by one of the vets and defenseman Brandon Montour looks like a sound bottom six guy. Overall for a team that traditionally drafts so low, the prospects are above average.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: Who is going to be the new coach? Can the team recover its fragile phsyche? Who else will fall on their sword (s) taking the blame for the year gone by? Perry, Kesler and Getzlaf are another year older, all are signed long term. How much do they have left? Do they really trade Vatanen and if so can they add a top line winger?

• 2 weeks later...

Ducks have signed Jacob Larsson to an entry level deal so i imagine he will come over and play in the AHL next year to help fast track him to the NHL.

I think this is a smart idea because of his age he gets to come over and play a free year in the AHL to work on the north american game and yet his entry level deal will slide next year and not even count till the following year.

Very smart and it is what i wish my Flyers did to Oskar LIndblom last year.

I just think it helps them speed up their adaption to the different ice size at a younger age...while allowing you the chance for the contract to slide due to the age restrictions. It is the same thing the Ducks did to fast track Hampus Lindholm to the NHL.

Smart move i think from a development standpoint. Hampus is only 22 yet already has 270 NHL games under his belt very impressive i think in circumventing the rules so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Anaheim Ducks hire Randy Carlyle as head coach

Nothing new here, move along... :ph34r:

I'm not sure why the Ducks chose to go in this direction. Sure he is the winningest coach in the Ducks' franchise history. And yeah, he won a cup with them 9 years ago.  but the game has changed and he did nothing with the Leafs with his recent stint.  Just because Getzlaf and Perry want him back doesn't mean he's the best choice to win another championship in Anaheim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-06-14 at 11:45 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Anaheim Ducks hire Randy Carlyle as head coach

Well, a lot of defensemen's fantasy value just tanked for me.

Carlyle regularly benched better young defenders in Toronto, stunting their development and overplayed Bernier to death even when he sucked despite having Reimer as a capable backup.

I was hoping I could be sly and draft Shea Theodore in later rounds as a wildcard since Boudreau was letting him off the leash while Fowler was injured and it paid dividens. But Bieksa will probably get the most icetime regardless of how much he sucks, over even Vatanen and Lindholm.

Also worrisome is how many players(some still on the roster) Hates his guts.

• 2 weeks later...

@yave1964

So i wonder if the Ducks are intending for Bernier to be the starter???

I mean he is making twice what Gibson is making so that would  tell me yeah they have every intention of making him the starter with the exception he just comes out and stinks up the joint....right? 

Also how strange is it now that two former Kings prospects and backup goalies (Bernier and Jones) are now on division rivals???

Archived