Hartnell waives his NMC

Samifan

He has three years at 4.75 mm a year. That is tough. I mean he can still produce in a lot of situations, but I cannot see him being the piece to get a team over the hump. 

I wonder why Columbus wants to part ways with him. Other than salary, I think he is a solid player that can get 50+ points a season.

I actually believe this is Hartnell's choice. He was in Torts doghouse and the jackets made it clear they didn't think he deserved top 6 minutes. Might as well submit a list of teams and see if something breaks. That cap hit thou.......

Hmm....maybe Hartnell ends up on some team that needs to actually add salary. At the same time, adding 4.75M just for the sake of adding salary seems a bit ludicrous.

That said, if there is some young team that has a low payroll, and could use a guy who is willing and able to mentor others on the team (is Hartnell the mentoring type?), AND if Hartnell still doesn't fancy himself a top six player, he could find a suitor.

Perhaps a team like Calgary, Florida, or Buffalo.

Teams who have lots of good young pieces but need a bit more in the 'veteran' leadership department on their forward lines.

5 hours ago, Bertmega said:

He has three years at 4.75 mm a year. That is tough. I mean he can still produce in a lot of situations, but I cannot see him being the piece to get a team over the hump. 

I wonder why Columbus wants to part ways with him. Other than salary, I think he is a solid player that can get 50+ points a season.

The Jackets are LOADED with ready now wingers both at the NHL level (Saad, Atkinsen, Jenner, Foligno) and have a bunch down at the AHL beating on the door for NHL jobs (Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorgstrand, Kerby Rychel, Sonny Milano) more than enough to fill three scoring lines with someone still having hard feelings and being shipped out. Hartnell played very well in Columbus but if someone will take that contract he is gone like a cool breeze preferably for a center, the organization is top heavy at the wing with really only Dubinsky who is a 2C on his best day and Wennberg who is a 2C if things break right. They really need at least one more solid setup man down the middle much more than they need Scott.

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

(is Hartnell the mentoring type?

He is one of the better teammates you could ask for.  

Whether or not he has great habits and can lead by example has always been up for debate. 

He will run through a wall for his guys, he will throw hands for his guys, he will chip in with a wicked slappa, he's a good guy to have on your team. 

He will **** around in the offseason and come to camp not ready.

I don't think he's a leader because i think he needs to be directed, once directed he can be a very good player and teammate. 

A 20 goal/50 point player in this league gets paid $4.5M+ - it's just the way it is.

Hartnell is still producing at that level.

I can see where for the Blue Jackets he's an odd man out, but he can certainly still contribute in the locker room and on the ice.

Nashville makes a lot of sense.

The Flyers trading him still doesn't.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

He is one of the better teammates you could ask for.  

Whether or not he has great habits and can lead by example has always been up for debate. 

He will run through a wall for his guys, he will throw hands for his guys, he will chip in with a wicked slappa, he's a good guy to have on your team. 

He will **** around in the offseason and come to camp not ready.

I don't think he's a leader because i think he needs to be directed, once directed he can be a very good player and teammate. 

He may not be a leader...but he's certainly the type of personality that brings a team together. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26

put it this way, i still rue the day we traded him.

He was a favorite of mine, lazy penalties and all.  

He's good, he's a good player, he's good in the room, he's good in the community. I'd have rather had him around for the last two years the RJ Umberger, for certain.

Jackets would have to eat some salary in order to trade him (at least for anything of value).  Hartnell has his flaws but he is a genuinely good guy and from all accounts excellent teammate who can still bury the puck.  If they eat a million or 2 I could see a 2nd or 3rd round pick coming back or a B level prospect.

33 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Jackets would have to eat some salary in order to trade him (at least for anything of value).  Hartnell has his flaws but he is a genuinely good guy and from all accounts excellent teammate who can still bury the puck.  If they eat a million or 2 I could see a 2nd or 3rd round pick coming back or a B level prospect.

I don't think he's that overpaid at 4.75 per year,  He's still producing in his "range".  he's not dead weight like RJ Umberger or grossly overpaid like Andrew MacDonald.  He just doesn't fit into CBJ's plans, because their farm system is loaded with talented great skating wingers. CBJ can get his production for less from within their organization, that's not the case everywhere else.

11 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think he's that overpaid at 4.75 per year,  He's still producing in his "range".  he's not dead weight like RJ Umberger or grossly overpaid like Andrew MacDonald.  He just doesn't fit into CBJ's plans, because their farm system is loaded with talented great skating wingers. CBJ can get his production for less from within their organization, that's not the case everywhere else.

That's the deal right there. MacDonald for Hartnell :)

On 6/13/2016 at 2:59 PM, Samifan said:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-scott-hartnell-waives-no-move-clause-gives-blue-jackets-decent-sized-list

Interesting. I like Hartnell but he's on the downslope of his career. Not sure how many teams will be ringing the jackets phone.

Something never change...

l75jBUAOdkLyo.gif

#hartnelldown

Archived