Canadiens deal P.K. Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

pilldoc

1 hour ago, blocker said:

Bergevin should have fired Therrien then and there.  

I'd have fired him before that, because he's worthless.  But yeah, that should have been the killer right there.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

The Habs could have had Leon Draisaitl AND Jesse Puljujarvi as well as rid themselves of a player they clearly didn't want to keep

Well that plan clearly went ....

Up_in_Smoke_by_rafta666.jpg

27 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And I was in favor of the move at the time.

As was I....could you imagine the Flyers with Weber's contract now.....no thank you...

Columbus really effed up alot of plans here....so I still ask...."what were they thinking??????"

21 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:
1 hour ago, hf101 said:

All I can say is This outrageous contract could have been was written up by the Flyers...  :PopcornSmiley2:

Fixed!

Homer's gift that keeps on giving!!!! :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Found this ... just some food for thought regarding Weber and that offer sheet the Flyers offered almost 4 years ago.

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/revisiting-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

Three years ago today the Philadelphia Flyers signed defenseman Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet. This type of offer sheet was really unprecedented, but Ed Snider and Paul Holmgren wanted to make a splash, and they did. Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for the future of the franchise, the Nashville Predators decided to match the offer sheet, saving the Flyers four first round picks in compensation. Lets take a look back at what could have been, and what the Flyers saved by not landing Weber.

Four First Round Draft Picks

• 2013 1st Round Pick – Samuel Morin
    • The Next Chris Pronger ™ has become one of the Flyers best defensive prospects and a part of the “big five”. Morin has been perfecting his game at the Junior level before making the jump to the pros. Morin was however with the club all the way through to the last pre-season game last year. Where he ranks among the top Flyers prospects depends on who you ask, but there is no doubt that he should at least become a decent NHL defenseman due to his size and physicality alone.
  • 2014 1st Round Pick – Travis Sanheim
    • Sanheim is another one of the big five for the Flyers, and many have him ranked as the Flyers best or second-best defensive prospect. Sanheim dominated the WHL last season, scoring 65 points in 67 games, the most of any defenseman. He is still a year or two away from making the NHL club, but Sanheim is a name that Flyers fans expect to be familiar with for the forseeable future.
  • 2015 1st Round Pick – Ivan Provorov
    • Provorov was drafted seventh overall last month and has immediately become arguably the best Flyers defensive prospect. Provorov, like Sanheim, also played in the WHL last season, scoring 61 points in 60 games, putting him at the top of the list in terms of rookies as well as being the fourth highest scoring defenseman. There are arguments that Provorov is already NHL-ready this season, but only time will tell.
  • 2016 1st Round Pick – To Be Determined, likely top 15. (Close..#18 traded down and nabbed the top Russian German Robtsov)

Salary

• 2012-2026: $7,857,143 cap hit.
    • Such a cap hit would have completely cancelled out any of the recent big signings by the Flyers. While a few of these the Flyers have come to regret (Andrew MacDonald, Vincent Lecavalier), it would also handcuff them when trying to extend their forwards (Jakub Voracek, Sean Couturier, etc.).

The future is set at defense with Morin / Sanheim / Provorov....With hindsight being 20/20...I am sooooo glad Weber is NOT a Flyer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Homer's gift that keeps on giving!!!! :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Yep i prefer to have Morin, Sanheim, Provorov and Rubtsov without doubt...and not that horrible contract....thanks Dave Poile for saving my Flyers and matching that.:5726b5fbef6cc_pyramiddance:

• Like 1

What a bad trade for Montreal. And keep in mind that Weber is one of the few guys in the game that I would pay to see play, and I never have and never will feel that way about P.K. Subban.

Subban is 4 years younger, Weber is showing signs already of slipping, Hell he likely was not the best d-man on his own team last year, being surpased by Josi. And he has 10 years remaining on his deal.....

SHORT TERM this may help the Habs, the two play the same position but in opposite styles, Weber is calm and dangerous and although a physical force seldom gets stupid on the ice. Subban is reckless and you dont know what will set him off and send him off the edge on a given night. You cannot say that about Weber. Nashville needs that, they need the living on the edge style and short term, both teams are better today than they were a week ago. I believe that style wise, both got the player who they needed.

Money and term tho, the Predators simply won this one hands down not even close. Weber will not be the player he is today in 4 years, and he will still have six years to go on his deal. 4 years from now, Subban will be the same age as Weber is today. The four years difference in age is huge.

If you look at the two bone head deals from yesterday and do a bit of simple changing out of assets, instead of Hall going to New Jersey he coulda and shoulda been dealt for either Subban or Weber. The Habs need points, Hall would have fit the bill, the Preds putting him on the top line and letting Josi take over as the beast on the back end would have made sense.

I think the Habs win this deal over the next 2-3 years...then it becomes a win for Nashville. Webers contract is going to suck in it's last 5 years...capwise.

Would it have made more sense to trade Subban for Hall? Maybe...but man would the Habs D suck.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Is the NHL celebrating some little known traditional "Do Something Stupid" day? 

This isn't nearly as bad as the Hall trade but this is insane. From an asset management standpoint neither team--but the Habs in particular - - got what they needed.  IMO, if they were going to move Subban, they should have gone for help up front AND, possibly, a pick.    They should have been in on the Hall thing, actually. 

Ssssh! Montreal isn't about winning any more! They like to spin their wheels. 

If you upgraded the forward group they might start winning games. Can't have that.

:)

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think the Habs win this deal over the next 2-3 years...then it becomes a win for Nashville. Webers contract is going to suck in it's last 5 years...capwise.

Would it have made more sense to trade Subban for Hall? Maybe...but man would the Habs D suck.

But then, they would have got Hall and McJesus in return, according to Edmonton's GM. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

If you look at the two bone head deals from yesterday and do a bit of simple changing out of assets, instead of Hall going to New Jersey he coulda and shoulda been dealt for either Subban or Weber. The Habs need points, Hall would have fit the bill, the Preds putting him on the top line and letting Josi take over as the beast on the back end would have made sense.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

The timing of these deals scream to me that the Oilers and Habs (who we know went back and forth last weekend re: Subban) were close to a deal, and that ultimately one side just wouldn't go through with it. So, Hall goes to New Jersey, and 15 or 20 minutes later, Subban is gone. It just seems like a reasonable guess to me.

For my part, I'd have felt much better about the return being Subban and his cap hit than what they ended up with. Larsson IS a good player, and likely to get better yet, but he isn't in the class of players like Taylor Hall.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

The Predators got out from under a contract which will only become worse with each year for the next decade

This is absolutely the key to this deal. Diminishing returns.

• Like 2

To me, the team that got rid of Subban won the deal. To this day, he still acts like a petulant child on the ice. Weber's contract will in the end make this a win for the Preds but at least for the next 5 or 6 years you have a respected/responsible team leader who will make Montreal more of a team than they are currently. Until now, they have been a bunch of guys on the ice with one spoiled brat, beating his stick on the ice, screaming for the puck...........:5726b7dfe98d4_redhockey:

• Like 2

Did you listen to the 'phone call he made to TSN? He said (and this is not a word-for-word quote) : "They traded their captain to get me so they not only expect me to play well, but they want my leadership as well"  Mwahahahaha.

Have fun Nashville....

I enjoyed reading an article on this earlier that a GM put it this way. When Subban is a 10, he is a 10. But when he is not a 10 he is a 7 player. Weber is an 8.5 and he is always an 8.5. - His stats fell off under a new coach in a system that doesnt fit him very well for O production.  In Montreal he will go to a system that  is similar to what he was with before Nashville dropped Trotz.

I like Montreal trading Subban for Weber, I think their D just got more consistent - and they have a player in Weber who can play Subban minutes but wont demand to be on the ice as much allowing other players to actually do their jobs. I also like what Nashville gets in a greedy Subban, he will help Forsberg and Ryan on the PK and 5 on 5 to put up more numbers for the Nashville O.

Edited by Severide

12 hours ago, Severide said:

I enjoyed reading an article on this earlier that a GM put it this way. When Subban is a 10, he is a 10. But when he is not a 10 he is a 7 player. Weber is an 8.5 and he is always an 8.5. - His stats fell off under a new coach in a system that doesnt fit him very well for O production.  In Montreal he will go to a system that  is similar to what he was with before Nashville dropped Trotz.

I like Montreal trading Subban for Weber, I think their D just got more consistent - and they have a player in Weber who can play Subban minutes but wont demand to be on the ice as much allowing other players to actually do their jobs. I also like what Nashville gets in a greedy Subban, he will help Forsberg and Ryan on the PK and 5 on 5 to put up more numbers for the Nashville O.

Strongly disagree. Laviolette encourages and enables a LOT of offensive freedom for all his Dmen(Which Weber had before he arrived, but few others did). How did Weber's stats fall off? His 51 points this past year are his 3rd highest total in 11 seasons playing, and his career best 2 are 53 and 56 points.