Canadiens deal P.K. Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

pilldoc

On 6/30/2016 at 8:23 AM, yave1964 said:

If you look at the two bone head deals from yesterday and do a bit of simple changing out of assets, instead of Hall going to New Jersey he coulda and shoulda been dealt for either Subban or Weber. The Habs need points, Hall would have fit the bill, the Preds putting him on the top line and letting Josi take over as the beast on the back end would have made sense.

Agreed. Hall for Subban would have been a fair trade, but the Habs don't want scoring and the Oilers don't want defence, so of course it can't happen. :)

22 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Strongly disagree. Laviolette encourages and enables a LOT of offensive freedom for all his Dmen(Which Weber had before he arrived, but few others did). How did Weber's stats fall off? His 51 points this past year are his 3rd highest total in 11 seasons playing, and his career best 2 are 53 and 56 points.

Not my words. Was on NHL.Com as I stated, words of another GM (a GM not involved with the trade.)

12 minutes ago, Severide said:

Not my words. Was on NHL.Com as I stated, words of another GM (a GM not involved with the trade.)

I was not sure who said it, but I was bolding that part because I disagreed with the statement :P itself

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to bring this up (but why not stir the pot a bit :angel:)......

Does this trade have anything to do with the fact that Subban is black and the audience/demographic of fans in Nashville, Tennessee probably want to see some black hockey players on their team to try and connect more with them?

(Not so much that Montreal would want him out, but that Nashville would desperately want him in.)

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

On 6/30/2016 at 11:28 AM, Podein25 said:

This is absolutely the key to this deal. Diminishing returns.

The risk is that if at any time Weber retires, they get CRUSHED with Cap recapture.

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

No, It just means he will join Chris Pronger in Arizona..............

That's funny. 

Does it work that way with recapture?  Because this payout dwarfs Pronger's. 

If that would work, the cheap bastards would be set with a $24M cap hit they have to pay nothing towards. 

Of course, by then, Las Vegas will probably be trying to do the same thing and Montreal will get a first round pick in the ensuing bidding war for the dead contact. 

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That's funny. 

Does it work that way with recapture?  Because this payout dwarfs Pronger's. 

If that would work, the cheap bastards would be set with a $24M cap hit they have to pay nothing towards. 

Of course, by then, Las Vegas will probably be trying to do the same thing and Montreal will get a first round pick in the ensuing bidding war for the dead contact. 

Nope. No matter what, if Weber retires before the end of his deal Nashville gets hit for $24 million divided by the number of years remaining.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Nope. No matter what, if Weber retires before the end of his deal Nashville gets hit for $24 million divided by the number of years remaining.

Another dumb/stupid rule it wouldn't surprise me at all if the League stepped in with a "different interpretation" if it actually blew up on Nashville. If he walks away with one year left - not an unreasonable possibility - Nashville could be crippled to the extent they couldn't even ice a full team.

The Preds were not the ones who "offered" the deal, and I don't believe that the League/NHLPA really took into consideration the whole "offer sheet" potential problem.

I understand that it's "not the way it is" now, but we've seen the League do backfill on potential pitfalls before.

No matter how you look at it, this is a bad deal for PK. He loves the limelight and he will not get any of that in Nashville. This is the hockey equivalent of being sent to a gulag for PK.

It will be very interesting to see how the Nashville fans react to him - and for that matter, how the Habs' fans react to Weber.

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

how the Habs' fans react to Weber.

I hadn't thought about that because I think hockeywise, what's not to like?   But yeah, Subban was a fan favorite, so many will likely hold the trade against him.

4 hours ago, BluPuk said:

No matter how you look at it, this is a bad deal for PK. He loves the limelight and he will not get any of that in Nashville. This is the hockey equivalent of being sent to a gulag for PK.

It will be very interesting to see how the Nashville fans react to him - and for that matter, how the Habs' fans react to Weber.

Unless he takes to wearin' a ten gallon hat and singin' Johnny Cash covers...they'll either love him or lynch him.

I came across an interesting piece of the "why this trade" puzzle this morning.  It seems as if Bergevin and Subban was more of a personality clash than anything that made sense analytically.  Apparently, Bergevin asked for a comparison report of Subban and Weber where his now ex-stats analyst, Matt Pfeffer,  made a passionate case in favor of PK.  On Wednesday Pfeffer was notified that his contract would not be renewed.

“Prior to the trade, I submitted a report comparing both players. I made a passionate case in favour of P.K. Subban.

“There was never a meeting with management.

“Ultimately, this is the nature of this kind of work. Management makes their decision based on a variety of criteria. Their evaluation may have been different in this case, but there was consensus on other decisions through my time with the team.”

Pfeffer, 21, was hired as a consultant in the summer of 2015. He was informed Wednesday that his contract would not be renewed.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-canadiens-analyst-matt-pfeffer-clarifies-subban-trade/

Dumb move by Bergevin.

The Habs are very quickly becoming the Nordiques of the 21st century.

A place no one wants to be.... 

As for Subban, how many people in that bar do you think knew who he was? I feel sorry for the guy.

Edited by BluPuk

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see how Weber does without somebody like Suter or Josi who can skate the puck out of trouble and have really good first passes. Do they have anybody that's good at skating/moving the puck they could pair with Weber?

2 hours ago, MadDevil said:

It'll be interesting to see how Weber does without somebody like Suter or Josi who can skate the puck out of trouble and have really good first passes. Do they have anybody that's good at skating/moving the puck they could pair with Weber?

I would think Andrei Markov, if he can stay relatively healthy like he did last season, would be Weber's regular defense partner.

I believe he fits the description you cited.  Main knock on him was he could never stay healthy.

Now at the age of 37, he has finally been putting together some injury free games.

And with less wear n tear from actually playing over the years, he may still be good to go for another two or three years yet.

He is a left shot as opposed to Weber's righty status, so I would think it would be insane of Montreal to NOT put these two vets together to at least form a good top pairing that can be comparable to just about anyone else's top pair in the league.

A darkhorse to possibly skate with Weber (and who is also a left shot) is Mark Barberio.

Barberio is an excellent skater, has some pretty good speed, and can even be let loose a bit in the offensive zone if Weber takes the role of 'shut down' guy on any given play.

Problem with Barberio, who is now 26, has always been his decision making.

Just when you think he has things in hand, he makes one ill advised pass that screws up his team's night.

If Barberio has finally gotten things together at 26, he could be a good partner for Weber...otherwise, I think Markov is the way to go.

I'm not sure Markov is that guy anymore though. I think part of him and Subban working well together was Subban's ability to skate it out of the zone. Markov/Weber could be a pairing that gets stuck in their own end and struggles against quicker teams. Barberio could be an option, but if you're playing Weber 20+ minutes a night against the opposition's best, do you want Barberio out there that much?

8 hours ago, MadDevil said:

I'm not sure Markov is that guy anymore though. I think part of him and Subban working well together was Subban's ability to skate it out of the zone. Markov/Weber could be a pairing that gets stuck in their own end and struggles against quicker teams. Barberio could be an option, but if you're playing Weber 20+ minutes a night against the opposition's best, do you want Barberio out there that much?

You could very well be right on both counts with Markov and Barberio.

If that is the case, then unless some other guy no one suspects can step up and play big minutes effectively with Weber, the Habs are screwed.....and I for one, won't shed a tear for'em....  ;)

• 4 years later...
On 6/29/2016 at 6:38 PM, ruxpin said:

I just think this is dumb for Montreal.  

Wow looking back a bullet dodged by the Flyers and now if i am looking at this right this cap recapture penalty is going to bite the Predators in the ass right??

Weber is looking at retiring. Man this looks gnarly in a very bad way.

I will tag your alter ego in this so you get it. @radoran

• Haha 1