Trouba - Offer Sheet and Trade Rumours

Podein25

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I cannot see that happening. I just cannot. Jets fans are more likely to blame Trouba for the losses than they are to see in him a saviour. 

What I meant was that if there is a string of losses than makes fans upset and demanding change, that would be the only thing that would really make the Jets organization trade Trouba for anything significantly less/different than what they want for him, not that they would start to sympathize with Trouba. Unless he has a QUICK change of heart and starts playing lights-out, I think he had burned that bridge already.

7 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

What I meant was that if there is a string of losses than makes fans upset and demanding change, that would be the only thing that would really make the Jets organization trade Trouba for anything significantly less/different than what they want for him, not that they would start to sympathize with Trouba. Unless he has a QUICK change of heart and starts playing lights-out, I think he had burned that bridge already.

Ah, ok I see your point. Losing does cause changes to be sure. It could trigger, for example, a larger deal involving Trouba. Right now I think teams are mainly offering picks for him, which is not really what the Jets need right now.

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ah, ok I see your point. Losing does cause changes to be sure. It could trigger, for example, a larger deal involving Trouba. Right now I think teams are mainly offering picks for him, which is not really what the Jets need right now.

Well, I can see the Red Wings offering Mantha or even Nyquist or Tatar and a prospect not named Mantha, but the Jets seem intent on getting a premier lefty Dman, and we don't have one of those that is anywhere near equivalent, methinks.

55 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Well, I can see the Red Wings offering Mantha or even Nyquist or Tatar and a prospect not named Mantha, but the Jets seem intent on getting a premier lefty Dman, and we don't have one of those that is anywhere near equivalent, methinks.

I'm sure you said this already elsewhere in the thread, but as a Wings fan what would you give up for Trouba?

The Jets may have to make two trades to get what they need for Trouba...

31 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm sure you said this already elsewhere in the thread, but as a Wings fan what would you give up for Trouba?

The Jets may have to make two trades to get what they need for Trouba...

Well, it certainly depends on what the Jets are asking for. Do they want picks, prospects or players? And of course anything must fit under the cap, which may be the Wings' biggest problem. Unless we are planning to deconstruct the core of the team now, I don't see how that is possible unless we are able to trade Jimmy Howard and obtain more cap space. Our $10M for our goalies looms large as a barrier. We'd have to lose a significant part of Howard's cap hit in a deal just to be in the conversation seriously.

The Jets have SAID that they only want a premier lefty Dman. We don't have one, and on D, we really don't have anything really close to that (more later on that). But we do have a glut of forwards and a pretty good bunch of young kids just coming into the NHL or just about to, Mantha and Athanasiou being the most valuable two.

As I mentioned previously, Nyquist and Tatar are probably our most available forwards which have decent trade value. Obviously, they aren't the equivalent of Trouba, so you'd have to add either a decent prospect and/or picks at appropriate level, depending on which player(s). And I don't think either AA or Mantha is equivalent to Trouba value-wise, so we'd have to give some kind of pick. Hard to see us giving BOTH a Mantha along with either Nyke or Tats. We'd have to go prospects or picks, and I don't know if the Jets are open to that possibility.

Larkin is not gonna be available, I don't think. AFAIK, he is now considered to be the future of the Red Wings franchise. Plus he's a hometown boy. I don't think he's touchable.

I could potentially see Dekeyser being considered as part of a multiplayer deal. That would hurt us, but that's really the only Dman we've got that the Jets might have any kind of interest in. Certainly not the level to discuss for Trouba player-for-player. I like DK a lot, but if we could figure fair secondary considerations as part of a deal, I could see the Wings parting with him for the right deal.

13 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Well, it certainly depends on what the Jets are asking for. Do they want picks, prospects or players? And of course anything must fit under the cap, which may be the Wings' biggest problem. Unless we are planning to deconstruct the core of the team now, I don't see how that is possible unless we are able to trade Jimmy Howard and obtain more cap space. Our $10M for our goalies looms large as a barrier. We'd have to lose a significant part of Howard's cap hit in a deal just to be in the conversation seriously.

The Jets have SAID that they only want a premier lefty Dman. We don't have one, and on D, we really don't have anything really close to that (more later on that). But we do have a glut of forwards and a pretty good bunch of young kids just coming into the NHL or just about to, Mantha and Athanasiou being the most valuable two.

As I mentioned previously, Nyquist and Tatar are probably our most available forwards which have decent trade value. Obviously, they aren't the equivalent of Trouba, so you'd have to add either a decent prospect and/or picks at appropriate level, depending on which player(s). And I don't think either AA or Mantha is equivalent to Trouba value-wise, so we'd have to give some kind of pick. Hard to see us giving BOTH a Mantha along with either Nyke or Tats. We'd have to go prospects or picks, and I don't know if the Jets are open to that possibility.

Larkin is not gonna be available, I don't think. AFAIK, he is now considered to be the future of the Red Wings franchise. Plus he's a hometown boy. I don't think he's touchable.

I could potentially see Dekeyser being considered as part of a multiplayer deal. That would hurt us, but that's really the only Dman we've got that the Jets might have any kind of interest in. Certainly not the level to discuss for Trouba player-for-player. I like DK a lot, but if we could figure fair secondary considerations as part of a deal, I could see the Wings parting with him for the right deal.

I think the Jets want roster players and prospects vs picks. But in the end assets are assets. I watched their game vs COL last night and they have to be happy with Morrissey paired with Buff. 

The Jets are a smaller more skilled team than they were a few years ago. So i could see them wanting to get big again. Best Jet list night: Joel Armia. That Kane trade just looks better and better.

Song: "Don't You Just Know It"

Ah ha ha ha (Echo'd back)

Aaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy oh! (Echo'd back)

TROU-BA TROU-BA TROU-BA TROU-BA (Echo'd back)

Aaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy oh!   (Echo'd back)

Sorry, it just comes to mind when I think of that name. :biggrin:

54 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

With Trouba signed now, the Jets can get him out of Canada as quickly as possible.

Hmm..

If the Jets are set on shipping Trouba out, I wonder if the Bolts would make sense.

Trouba (D) + Lowry (3C)

for

Nesterov OR Koekkoek (D) + Tyler Johnson (C) OR  Drouin (LW/RW)

I will admit, I didn't look at ALL factors involved, but right off the top of my head, this gives the Bolts a bit of cap relief because either Drouin or Johnson will very soon cost something in the neighborhood of 5-5.5M each and from the looks of the current situation, they will NOT be able to keep all their top forwards in the coming seasons.

Why not try and package one or two of them in some sort of deal that nets them a good player for now and down the road?

(F) is a position that the Bolts are still quite deep in.

Also, the Bolts will get a much needed large bodied 3C with youth (23) and some upside in Lowry ($1.25) to replace a guy like Brian Boyle who is on the last year of his contract, is 31, making $2M, but will likely want more than that.

Trouba could settle in with the Bolts and eventually take a top 4 role alongside Hedman, Stralman, and whichever of Koekkoek or Nesterov ISN'T traded.

Vets like Coburn and Garrison will continue to anchor the defense until their contracts run out....Garrison's will be up first.

Meanwhile, the Jets, in addition to getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there in the first place, will have significantly upgraded their skill and speed with the addition of one of the forwards (Johnson or Drouin) as well as replace the departing Trouba with either Koeks or Nester...neither seems to have the upside of Trouba, but neither should cost as much down the road, and either of those two have at LEAST 2nd pair potential, IMO...Nesterov boasting a very good shot comparable to Garrison's, and Koekkoek tends to play a smart, if unspectacular game (he did in the minors, he is just now trying to transition that to the NHL).

I dunno, maybe this has a ton of reasons it WON'T work, but if the Jets want to move out an unhappy and potentially problematic player for them later on, I think the Bolts could use a guy like Trouba, and can deal from their strength to acquire such a player, while the Jets, who likely won't make the playoffs THIS year, get good top six type guys and/or good 2nd pair-ish defensemen.

Of course, some Jets fans may figure, "How about Ben Bishop for Trouba?"....and while I think WPG would love to have Big Ben (and pay what they need to keep him there beyond this season), I don't think the Bolts are quite ready to give Vasilevskiy full reigns just yet...and they believe Bishop is still the guy to give them the best chance to win THIS year...even if they lose him to free agency at season's end.

Is Trouba worth moving out top six talent for the Lightning?

Is there a better fit for Trouba (and a better return for the Jets) elsewhere if they do indeed move him out?

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm..

If the Jets are set on shipping Trouba out, I wonder if the Bolts would make sense.

Trouba (D) + Lowry (3C)

for

Nesterov OR Koekkoek (D) + Tyler Johnson (C) OR  Drouin (LW/RW)

I will admit, I didn't look at ALL factors involved, but right off the top of my head, this gives the Bolts a bit of cap relief because either Drouin or Johnson will very soon cost something in the neighborhood of 5-5.5M each and from the looks of the current situation, they will NOT be able to keep all their top forwards in the coming seasons.

Why not try and package one or two of them in some sort of deal that nets them a good player for now and down the road?

(F) is a position that the Bolts are still quite deep in.

Also, the Bolts will get a much needed large bodied 3C with youth (23) and some upside in Lowry ($1.25) to replace a guy like Brian Boyle who is on the last year of his contract, is 31, making $2M, but will likely want more than that.

Trouba could settle in with the Bolts and eventually take a top 4 role alongside Hedman, Stralman, and whichever of Koekkoek or Nesterov ISN'T traded.

Vets like Coburn and Garrison will continue to anchor the defense until their contracts run out....Garrison's will be up first.

Meanwhile, the Jets, in addition to getting rid of a guy who didn't want to be there in the first place, will have significantly upgraded their skill and speed with the addition of one of the forwards (Johnson or Drouin) as well as replace the departing Trouba with either Koeks or Nester...neither seems to have the upside of Trouba, but neither should cost as much down the road, and either of those two have at LEAST 2nd pair potential, IMO...Nesterov boasting a very good shot comparable to Garrison's, and Koekkoek tends to play a smart, if unspectacular game (he did in the minors, he is just now trying to transition that to the NHL).

I dunno, maybe this has a ton of reasons it WON'T work, but if the Jets want to move out an unhappy and potentially problematic player for them later on, I think the Bolts could use a guy like Trouba, and can deal from their strength to acquire such a player, while the Jets, who likely won't make the playoffs THIS year, get good top six type guys and/or good 2nd pair-ish defensemen.

Of course, some Jets fans may figure, "How about Ben Bishop for Trouba?"....and while I think WPG would love to have Big Ben (and pay what they need to keep him there beyond this season), I don't think the Bolts are quite ready to give Vasilevskiy full reigns just yet...and they believe Bishop is still the guy to give them the best chance to win THIS year...even if they lose him to free agency at season's end.

Is Trouba worth moving out top six talent for the Lightning?

Is there a better fit for Trouba (and a better return for the Jets) elsewhere if they do indeed move him out?

Jets would want Drouin, and I doubt that the Bolts would trade him.

3 minutes ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

Well, I believe Yzerman wouldn't actively be shopping Jonathan Drouin, but if the opportunity arose for him to acquire a potential top 4 D-man like Trouba, along with a good bottom six type like Lowry, I think he'd have to at least consider it.

TB is deeper at F than at D, and they could always use larger bodies on the forwards units to compliment their quicker smaller guys.

9 minutes ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

What makes you say that? Because he wanted out of TB?

I think the Jets have enough small skilled guys. Not sure they'd want Drouin, talented as he is.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

What makes you say that? Because he wanted out of TB?

I think the Jets have enough small skilled guys. Not sure they'd want Drouin, talented as he is.

Agreed. It would just be swapping one primadonna troublemaker for another. :(

Plus, one always has to check if a player as difficult as Drouin has an NPIC clause in his contract (No Play In Canada).

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed. It would just be swapping one primadonna troublemaker for another. :(

Plus, one always has to check if a player as difficult as Drouin has an NPIC clause in his contract (No Play In Canada).

I don't think Drouin would refuse to play in Canada, if only because he is Canadian. I do think there are US-born players who don't want to play here, due to taxes, weather, lack of big city glamour (outside of Toronto). Trouba will get his wish, perhaps soon. He now has a friendly contract to trade.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't think Drouin would refuse to play in Canada, if only because he is Canadian. I do think there are US-born players who don't want to play here, due to taxes, weather, lack of big city glamour (outside of Toronto). Trouba will get his wish, perhaps soon. He now has a friendly contract to trade.

Did Trouba want money?  Did he want out of Winnipeg?  Both?   Didn't follow the entire saga too closely.

Just now, DaGreatGazoo said:

Did Trouba want money?  Did he want out of Winnipeg?  Both?   Didn't follow the entire saga too closely.

Both. He didn't want to be in Wpg IMO. He never showed any enthusiasm for the City. Then his agent floated the idea of a ridiculous $50+ million contract desire coming out of his ELC. Which is a way of saying I don't want to be here, I don't see a future here. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Both. He didn't want to be in Wpg IMO. He never showed any enthusiasm for the City. Then his agent floated the idea of a ridiculous $50+ million contract desire coming out of his ELC. Which is a way of saying I don't want to be here, I don't see a future here. 

Got it.

Thanks, Wanker Yanker.  

37 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I wish I knew the reasoning behind players that avoid Canada. Playing in Canada is not the same as living in Canada, so I'm not sure that taxes would be an issue. The weather in Toronto is no different than it is in New York. One could make a similar argument for Vancouver. The lack of big city glamour doesn't apply to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. None of Canada's NHL cities are small hick towns. Many of them are larger than US cities with NHL teams. Again, it just reeks of excuses to me. I don't think these players have a leg to stand on. :(

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I wish I knew the reasoning behind players that avoid Canada. Playing in Canada is not the same as living in Canada, so I'm not sure that taxes would be an issue. The weather in Toronto is no different than it is in New York. One could make a similar argument for Vancouver. The lack of big city glamour doesn't apply to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. None of Canada's NHL cities are small hick towns. Many of them are larger than US cities with NHL teams. Again, it just reeks of excuses to me. I don't think these players have a leg to stand on. :(

Yeah fair enough. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, except for taxes. They all get paid is $USD but taxes are generally higher in Canada. Although I guess you could say the same about one State vs the other. Like, Florida has lower taxes than say New York State, right? 

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah fair enough. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, except for taxes. They all get paid is $USD but taxes are generally higher in Canada. Although I guess you could say the same about one State vs the other. Like, Florida has lower taxes than say New York State, right? 

As far as income taxes charged to paychecks, Florida has NO state tax.  People earning paychecks out of Florida only need to pay federal and SS taxes....no state.

That was one of the bigger adjustments I had to make leaving Florida for Minnesota.

MN offers higher wages, but you also pay state income tax.

Also one of the reasons a guy like Stamkos CAN take $8.5M playing out of Florida and really not lose much in the way of income as opposed to playing in, say, New York or Michigan for $11M or so but then having to pay state taxes.

Not sure how taxes work for Canadian provinces, so not sure what advantages / disadvantages a player would have money-wise as far as money coming out of their checks for that.

Archived