Bye bye Zatkoff

He became expendable once Murray shined through the playoffs. The only problem is Murray is gonna command a huge contract once his first deal is up after next year.  Pens can't afford to pay 2 huge salaries in goal. MAF contract is up after 2018-19.  Zatkoff would have been a nice cheaper back up option here, but I get he probably does not want to stick around with the Baby Pens in WBS.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

He became expendable once Murray shined through the playoffs. The only problem is Murray is gonna command a huge contract once his first deal is up after next year.  Pens can't afford to pay 2 huge salaries in goal. MAF contract is up after 2018-19.  Zatkoff would have been a nice cheaper back up option here, but I get he probably does not want to stick around with the Baby Pens in WBS.

The Pens will be forced to do something this season.  If the expansion rules remain consistent they will have to protect Fleury at the time it happens, which leaves Murray exposed.  I'm not saying Murray will have as good a season next year as he had this past year, as he clearly has some weaknesses, but as things stand I'm not so sure the Pens want to lose Murray.  That would mean Fleury may need to be dealt before the trade deadline next season.  Zatkoff doesn't really matter to us, as we have a couple of young goaltenders that could play backup and the experience would do them some good. 

3 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Zatkoff doesn't really matter to us, as we have a couple of young goaltenders that could play backup and the experience would do them some good. 

Yeah I realized that after I looked at the cap situation for the Pens.  I forgot you have Tristan Jarry who is supposed to be a pretty good prospect in goal and Sean McGuire.  I agree with you, the Pens do not want to lose Murray to the expansion draft because I definitely think he would be taken.

To be honest, Fleury is 31 to Murray's 22! I would protect Murray just because of the huge age difference! I am not sure if Tarry numbers, I think 1 more year or so in WBS. might be benefit him until a decision is made about goal in the expansion draft! 

Don't forget Vegas makes 31 teams, which means 32 will be here shortly thereafter!

13 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

To be honest, Fleury is 31 to Murray's 22! I would protect Murray just because of the huge age difference! I am not sure if Tarry numbers, I think 1 more year or so in WBS. might be benefit him until a decision is made about goal in the expansion draft! 

Don't forget Vegas makes 31 teams, which means 32 will be here shortly thereafter!

Fleury has a NTC....you have to protect him.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Fleury has a NTC....you have to protect him.

I thought It was a no movement clauae! I think there is a way around that so the Pens WOULD NOT LOSE either goalie! What that is I'm not sure!

also to add on what @flyercanuck said...

Teams must also expose one goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent when his contract expires before the 2017-18. If a club chooses the latter option, the goaltender must have received a qualifying offer from the club before it submits its protected list.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16429478/nhl-officially-approves-las-vegas-31st-franchise

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins

Since MAF has a NMC.NTC and must be protected that leaves Murray open for pickin since his contract will end after this year.....

To add further insult to injury .the Pens have 8 players with NTC/NMC in their  contracts. 

According to reports out of WNY, Zatkoff screwed the sabres on his way out of the burgh. Zatkoff allegedly had a verbal agreement to become the sabres back-up and while they were preparing the contract he instead chose to sign in LA and told the sabres no after they faxed him a contract to sign. If the sabres version of this story is true, I like it! :ph34r:

10 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Yeah I realized that after I looked at the cap situation for the Pens.  I forgot you have Tristan Jarry who is supposed to be a pretty good prospect in goal and Sean McGuire.

Please tell me he is related to Regis!

On 7/1/2016 at 10:10 PM, pilldoc said:

Doc, Zatkoff became expendable as soon as he played an NHL game.  Zatkoff is nothing special at all, and is easily replaced.  He basically played 35 games in 3 seasons for the Pens,  and did not show anything that would say he will be anything but a backup.   Any cheap replacement would be just as good. 

As far as Fleury goes, we'll have to see the coming season and which teams he's willing to be traded to.  I think as soon as he gives the Pens his list, they start to work on a deal of some sort for him.  I can't see them exposing Murray due to the age of Fleury at this point and the upside of Murray

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

Doc, Zatkoff became expendable as soon as he played an NHL game.  Zatkoff is nothing special at all

Damnit, sounds like he would have been perfect for the Sabres. 

• 2 months later...

Archived