Klefbom on Hall: "He never played his best games against the tougher teams"

JR Ewing

Oscar Klefbom has taken a major stance on the Taylor Hall trade:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/07/31/svenskens-egoboost-under-mardromstiden-tyckte-jag-behovdes-mer-an-mcdavid/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'll offer up the juiciest parts, translated from Swedish:

"I think the team has improved. We already have so many promising forwards and we did not really have a peak defense. I also think Adam gets a real breakthrough this year and hopefully I get the chance to play with him and forming chemistry. At the same time, I understand the reactions. Taylor has been our best player in recent years, but it's also hard to tell what he has contributed. He never played his best games against the tougher teams, which we really needed it. However, he was fantastic when we met the little inferior teams."

* drops mic *

ok...wow.....nothing like rubbing a little salt into the would.  Talk about giving a team/player locker room material.  Regardless if his statement is true or not this ought to give Hall a wee bit more incentive when the Devils play the Oilers. 

I guess Hall is going to have a career night when the Devils play the Oilers :ph34r: ......(just saying...) :cool[1]:

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

ok...wow.....nothing like rubbing a little salt into the would.  Talk about giving a team/player locker room material.  Regardless if his statement is true or not this ought to give Hall a wee bit more incentive when the Devils play the Oilers. 

I guess Hall is going to have a career night when the Devils play the Oilers :ph34r: ......(just saying...) :cool[1]:

Well, we already know he's good against the little inferior teams, right?   ;)

@JR Ewing

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate and calling Klefbom out on his comment I looked at Hall's stats last year (2015-16).  Just to have a standard, I compared Hall's stats vs playoff teams (tougher teams) and non-playoff teams (inferior teams)

Playoff teams included: Florida / NYI / Tampa Bay / Detroit / Wash / Philly / Pitts / NYR / Dallas / Minny / St. Louis / Chicago / Anaheim / Nash / LA Kings / San Jose

So what did I discover ......

Playoff Teams:

45 Games Played = 16 G / 20A = 36 PTS with a +/- = (-5)

Non Playoff Teams:

37 Games Played = 10 G / 19A = 29 PTS with a +/- = (+1)

IMO Klefbom is full of it.. Hall performed just as well or of not better when playing against better teams vs. the "inferior" teams.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hallta02.html

Let Klefbom stew on those stats for awhile.........

Some clarification has since appeared:

Martin dohfOs Lundén ‏@dohfOs 49m49 minutes ago
From where I stand (or currently is strolling on a beach in Bulgaria) Klefbom rather expressed frustration that the team wasn’t able to turn

Martin dohfOs Lundén ‏@dohfOs 46m46 minutes ago
.. things around. Klefbom doesn’t put the blame on Hall. Quite the opposite. Klefbom is saying Hall was their best player.

Ola Winther ‏@OlaWinther 21m21 minutes ago
Got an Klefbom update for you: Talked with Oscar again and he wanted to add to his previous statements.. #Oilers

Ola Winther ‏@OlaWinther 19m19 minutes ago
First and foremost Klefbom said: “All of our key players underperformed, including myself. Not only Taylor Hall”. #Oilers

I'd be shocked if the Oilers dressing room is what you would call tight; they've been losing for so long, there must surely be groups. So, who the hell knows what went on, and who like who, and which players had the respect of others. I dunno. I imagine that this is a case of a player trying to defend the acquisition of a friend at the cost of superior player, though Klefbom was much better off saying something along the lines of "We had to give up a lot to get Adam, but he's a really good defenseman, and it brings more balance to the team."

Relative life inexperience and language barriers probably enter the picture here.

@JR Ewing

RE: Klefbom's tweets ------> #DamageControl :5726b5fcd63d1_smileyandcomputer:

32 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I'd be shocked if the Oilers dressing room is what you would call tight; they've been losing for so long, there must surely be groups. So, who the hell knows what went on, and who like who, and which players had the respect of others. I dunno. I imagine that this is a case of a player trying to defend the acquisition of a friend at the cost of superior player, though Klefbom was much better off saying something along the lines of "We had to give up a lot to get Adam, but he's a really good defenseman, and it brings more balance to the team."

Relative life inexperience and language barriers probably enter the picture here.

totally agree here..... very well said.

12 hours ago, pilldoc said:

IMO Klefbom is full of it..

I agree and what's that about living in a glass house???

I certainly have never been that impressed with his play. But maybe JR has been.

WOW. Of course Klefbom backtracked the next day as if he were Donald Trump after saying something inane. But it is out there, Calling someone Mr. October is great if it is baseball, not so much for Hockey.

I have often wondered with so many first rounders and talent how someone in the locker room did not just throttle the team and tell them to get it together, I know Perron voiced frustration without saying names and was immediately dispatched. It is possible that Hall is/was a player who will always put up good numbers but never be a member of a team that does much, kind of like Kessel going in to last season.

Klefbom and Larssen are close from what I read, time to back it up boys.

On 2016-08-01 at 6:21 AM, yave1964 said:

WOW. Of course Klefbom backtracked the next day as if he were Donald Trump after saying something inane. But it is out there, Calling someone Mr. October is great if it is baseball, not so much for Hockey.

I have often wondered with so many first rounders and talent how someone in the locker room did not just throttle the team and tell them to get it together, I know Perron voiced frustration without saying names and was immediately dispatched. It is possible that Hall is/was a player who will always put up good numbers but never be a member of a team that does much, kind of like Kessel going in to last season.

Klefbom and Larssen are close from what I read, time to back it up boys.

The same thing happened to Ladislav Smid, after said something along the lines of "We have guys that yell and throw water bottles but won't stop making the same mistakes." Before he knew what was going on, he was a Flame.

The on ice results will give us a clearer view next year I guess.

I personally am trying to figure out things so I know who to keep in NAHANA. Last year I was sure RNH would be traded for a D and Draisaitl was a must keep. Hall and Draisaitl seemed to have wicked chemistry.

Now things have flown asunder.

McDavid returned Feb 4th I think. In the 30+ games that followed, Draisaitl only had 11 points. Hall 15. I was sure his return would boost the team and force opposition to spread coverage over multiple lines. Instead, Draisaitl seemed to get demoted for RNH and production fell. Maybe Hall thrives on being the man? IDK.....

Former talk of "factions" in the dressing room is probably never going to be truly clarified unless someone goes full alpha male stupid ala Nick Diaz on the mic. All we can do is assume 2 + 2 = 5

Losing Klefbom was a major hit to an already weak D corps. Him healthy + Larsson and Sekera is a better top 4 than forcing guys like Fayne and Nurse into top pairing roles.

Talbot was solid despite an AHL level D in front of him. Lucic does not replace Hall, but he brings sandpaper and some scoring. Maroon was looking solid post trade.

I still stand by the Oil being much improved going into next year. We will see how Hall and the devils do compared to this year.

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

The same thing happened to Ladislav Smid, after said something along the lines of "We have guys that yell and throw water bottles but won't stop making the same mistakes." Before he knew what was going on, he was a Flame.

It was Dreger a few years ago during a coaching change that informed the public that "Taylor Hall is uncoachable"

We all kinda hopped on Hall's side during that debate from what I remember

But I am starting to wonder. Your quote from Ladislav Smid on players acting mad but refusing to change and making the same mistakes makes me think maybe Hall is who he was talking about, as Hall has been seen throwing bottles and smashing sticks after losses(Which is good) you should hate losing. However, Dreger mentioned Hall has a specific vision of how he wants to play and the team to play and he refuses to deviate and is not open to changing it. Perron's comments........

Dreger could be full of crap. But 20 days after McDavid returned, TMac had a huge blowup unlike any he had with the sharks, including the reverse sweep, mentioning 2-3 oilers players in particular who should be embarrassed with themselves. Then he said "Maybe 1 guy especially". At the time many were convinced it was Schultz, myself included. But is it possible there is a minigroup in the locker room?

McDavid came back and Hall all but disappeared for the end of the season. 15 points in his last 30 games, and right before McDavid came back  Hall was riding a 7 game point streak and then...... McDavid seemed to make everyone he played with better...even Yak..........except Hall. I noted early they mixed like Oil and water.

47 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

It was Dreger a few years ago during a coaching change that informed the public that "Taylor Hall is uncoachable"

We all kinda hopped on Hall's side during that debate from what I remember

But I am starting to wonder. Your quote from Ladislav Smid on players acting mad but refusing to change and making the same mistakes makes me think maybe Hall is who he was talking about, as Hall has been seen throwing bottles and smashing sticks after losses(Which is good) you should hate losing. However, Dreger mentioned Hall has a specific vision of how he wants to play and the team to play and he refuses to deviate and is not open to changing it. Perron's comments........

Dreger could be full of crap. But 20 days after McDavid returned, TMac had a huge blowup unlike any he had with the sharks, including the reverse sweep, mentioning 2-3 oilers players in particular who should be embarrassed with themselves. Then he said "Maybe 1 guy especially". At the time many were convinced it was Schultz, myself included. But is it possible there is a minigroup in the locker room?

McDavid came back and Hall all but disappeared for the end of the season. 15 points in his last 30 games, and right before McDavid came back  Hall was riding a 7 game point streak and then...... McDavid seemed to make everyone he played with better...even Yak..........except Hall. I noted early they mixed like Oil and water.

I remain very convinced that the one player in particular was Justin Schultz, but it could be that Hall was in his group of 2-3 other players. Or not; I don't know. It could be that there are issues around Taylor Hall's willingness to give in to coaches, and if so, it would seem that Oscar Klefbom agrees. For me, the outward acts of anger which are sometimes seen as petulant are, as you say, what you'd hope to see at least a glimmer of from somebody who cares. Aside from Perron and Smid, Andrew Ference was consistent in voicing his frustration about seeing the same repeated and glaring mistakes from some of the players on the team.

I have no idea if he was talking about Taylor Hall, and while I think Adam Larsson is a very good young defenseman, I don't think the return was good enough. Unless...

Unless this is the view of Hall of many in hockey circles around the NHL. It's odd to have a man with his level of offense seen so far down the list of LW to play in Olympics, etc. I really don't know.

I think we'd be delusional to think every locker room is a happy little family. Even good teams I'm sure have players who might not like each other. It's just easier to deal with those personality differences when you're winning. But if you're on a team that is eliminated from the playoffs by December/January year after year and go through coaches faster than Lou Lamoriello used to, it's probably not a great environment to build a close knit locker room.

Time will only tell whether or not Hall really was/is a locker room problem. If the Devils start having the same issues, then there probably was something to the rumors.

I will say this though. If there's a guy who I can pretty much guarantee won't be a locker room problem, it's Adam Larsson. He's just a really good kid that all his teammates seemed to love in New Jersey. I just hope the media/fans don't expect him to light the world on fire. Although I do think given the Oilers forward talent and with some PP time he could be a 35-40 point player who is also rock solid defensively.

Everyone knows I watched almost all of Hall's junior career. Klef might have stated it a bit to strong, but there is probably some truth to it. In Windsor, they basically put up with his showboating etc...Even though coach Bob Boughner ran a tight ship, Hall got away with a lot of stupid stuff.....for instance, double shifting without permission....doing some fancy dipsy doodle on the penalty kill when it was not necessary. I think Boughner knew if he outright confronted him, Hall would sulk and cause a major disruption at a time when they were going for their first of 2 Memorial Cup Championships. My buddy at work had his kid playing on the 09 Spits....and he told us what we already knew, Hall could be a diva at times....and didn't always put the team first. I thought it might have been just some immature stuff from a young kid...but this new info....not really a shocker.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Everyone knows I watched almost all of Hall's junior career. Klef might have stated it a bit to strong, but there is probably some truth to it. In Windsor, they basically put up with his showboating etc...Even though coach Bob Boughner ran a tight ship, Hall got away with a lot of stupid stuff.....for instance, double shifting without permission....doing some fancy dipsy doodle on the penalty kill when it was not necessary. I think Boughner knew if he outright confronted him, Hall would sulk and cause a major disruption at a time when they were going for their first of 2 Memorial Cup Championships. My buddy at work had his kid playing on the 09 Spits....and he told us what we already knew, Hall could be a diva at times....and didn't always put the team first. I thought it might have been just some immature stuff from a young kid...but this new info....not really a shocker.

thanks for the great insight!  Some really good info you shared.

On 2016-08-01 at 2:06 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I agree and what's that about living in a glass house???

I certainly have never been that impressed with his play. But maybe JR has been.

Oh, I missed your post...

qIojyh3.jpg

-That even-strength Points/60 is 1.09, and has him sandwiched between Kris Letang and Roman Josi.

-Of the 21 players who been on the ice for at least 60 minutes with him, 20 surrendered fewer chances against while with him, despite playing the toughest comp.

Klefbom has good size, speed and can make/take a pass, and the Hero Chart says it well in his designated role. You would be tickled pink if here a Flyer, particularly since he's under contract for his prime years.

Klefbom is a really good defenseman:

Klefbom/Larsson should be a really good pairing for the Oilers. They're both solid defensively and are really good passers, which should help transition quickly to offense. Plus Klefbom has the skating ability that Larsson lacks (he's not a pylon by any means, but his skating is one of his weaknesses).

12 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Klefbom/Larsson should be a really good pairing for the Oilers. They're both solid defensively and are really good passers, which should help transition quickly to offense. Plus Klefbom has the skating ability that Larsson lacks (he's not a pylon by any means, but his skating is one of his weaknesses).

Agreed. Even if his offense never gets beyond 30 points, if his puck moving transition skills and defensive play get to Vlasic levels, he does not need to be an offensive dynamo to contribute. Vlasic turned a corner offensively this year given more encouragement to jump into the play, but even when he was only scoring 20 points he was a key contributor to offense merely through his incredible poise and transition game.

In any case, Klefbom/Larsson, Sekera/Fayne, Nurse/Reinhart + Davison looks a hell of a lot better than last year when Klefbom was injured.

Fayne on the top pairing and a second pairing of AHL Oesterle +rookie Reinhart and a rookie Nurse being paired with a might as well be rookie Clendenning.

Lucic starts the LW in a bit of a ditch as opposed to a gaping crater they would have had if they had they not filled Hall's spot.

I am truly truly waiting to see how training camp goes. Does Puljujarvi make the team? I was one of the only ones thinking he may become better than Laine.... Does Dr Drai play RW on the 2nd line or start as 3C? Do they again put Yak with McDavid given his only success last year was on that line and it seemed to fit? or do they keep Eberle there?

The team is improved and I can't wait to see them play.

I have similar interest in The jets this coming season.

30 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Agreed. Even if his offense never gets beyond 30 points, if his puck moving transition skills and defensive play get to Vlasic levels, he does not need to be an offensive dynamo to contribute. Vlasic turned a corner offensively this year given more encouragement to jump into the play, but even when he was only scoring 20 points he was a key contributor to offense merely through his incredible poise and transition game.

In any case, Klefbom/Larsson, Sekera/Fayne, Nurse/Reinhart + Davison looks a hell of a lot better than last year when Klefbom was injured.

Fayne on the top pairing and a second pairing of AHL Oesterle +rookie Reinhart and a rookie Nurse being paired with a might as well be rookie Clendenning.

I'm VERY interested in seeing if Davidson continues his development, and have been pulling for him after watching him play so much when I lived in Regina. I'm not sure how to say it other than: he plays the game right. He missed all of midget hockey due to his parent's divorce, and then made the Pats as a walk-on. He quickly moved up within the organization, played an all-around game, and was soon made captain. He was skipped over completely in his first draft eligible year, before the Oilers finally selected him in the 6th round. Almost immediately after he began his pro career, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and underwent surgery and chemo, and resumed playing. One by one, he passed prospects with bigger names and reputations, and had a hell of a season last year.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to bet against Brandon Davidson. He obviously wants it badly.

30 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Lucic starts the LW in a bit of a ditch as opposed to a gaping crater they would have had if they had they not filled Hall's spot.

I am truly truly waiting to see how training camp goes. Does Puljujarvi make the team? I was one of the only ones thinking he may become better than Laine.... Does Dr Drai play RW on the 2nd line or start as 3C? Do they again put Yak with McDavid given his only success last year was on that line and it seemed to fit? or do they keep Eberle there?

The team is improved and I can't wait to see them play.

I have similar interest in The jets this coming season.

My own preference would be not play Puljujarvi in the NHL unless he clearly and obviously ready to play the game, and to allow him to continue grow in an appropriate league. However, this is the Edmonton Oilers we're talking about, and they've spent the last 10 years treating the NHL like a development league. IF (if if if) Puljujarvi is really ready to play in the NHL, and doesn't require development time, my lines would be:

Lucic - McDavid - Yakupov

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Maroon - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Yakupov would draw that spot not because he's the best RW on the team, but because he's awful with RNH. Also: maybe Lucic can scare the living sh|t out of him if he does something weird. Here's a good one: last year, Darnell Nurse battled with an opposing for about 20 seconds before finally coming away with the puck and making a good pass to Yakupov. Yak skated the puck BACK into the defensive zone, passed it back to Nurse (who had that forward right next to him) and then skated off. He has a poor hockey IQ. Maybe some talks with Lucic would straighten him up ala Messier/Nilsson?

If he's not ready, I would move Draisaitl to RW, move Letestu to 3C, and make Lander 4C.

Then again, I'd also be sorely tempted to bring on James Wisniewski with a cheap incentive-laden contract. If he can stay healthy (that's a laugh), then you have a legit right-handed defenseman, and if not, you've risked nothing but a few dollars.

• 2 months later...
On 2016-08-05 at 9:12 AM, jammer2 said:

He's a terrific player, and I love him, but there are things he does... Last night, he stayed out for the entire OT against the Hawks, passing up several opportunities to change, before finally turning over the puck for the winner.

Ouch.

Archived