Roy Quits on Avalanche

radoran

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

But a lot of players will spend their entire career on a losing team, in a non-hockey sunbelt market, just to collect a paycheque.

Well, you learn something new every day.

For example, I wasn't aware that Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto were in the "sunbelt"!

In terms of "sunbelt" - Florida, Tampa, Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim were all in the playoffs last year. Canadian teams, not so much...

Edmonton hasn't even made the playoffs in a decade. The Flames have two playoff rounds in seven years. The Jets have one playoff round since moving to Winnipeg five seasons ago. The Canucks haven't been out of the first round in five years. The Sens have made it to the second round once in nine years.

Tampa, Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim have all won Cups since 1993, as well, and Florida has been to a Final.

And, well, we probably shouldn't even mention Tronno... Although I'm pretty sure Nathan Horton, Joffrey Lupul, Nazim Kadri, JVR and Tyler Bozak would probably know how to endorse a fat paycheque if they didn't likely have direct deposit.

:hocky:

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Their career becomes defined by losing.

Mats Sundin, the Sedins, Daniel Alfredsson, Jarome Iginla and nine Top Ten picks in the past decade toiling away in Edmonton say "hello"

:thumbsu:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if it was touched on...but from the outside looking in, I don't think Roy ever liked Barrie, and when the team signed him to a long term contract rather than trade him, it was basically the end for Roy. You just don't find 50-60 pt d-men in this league, much less guys who have not even peaked....good riddance Patrick...we will not miss you.

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

good riddance Patrick...we will not miss you.

I think Roy will be back in the league within 2 years. 

1.  He's a likely replacement for Therrien.

2.  And more reasonably he's likely to be a part of the Quebec team management a year from now.  Rumors have it that next season the league will expand again since Quebec has a new management structure.

13 minutes ago, hf101 said:

2.  And more reasonably he's likely to be a part of the Quebec team management a year from now.  Rumors have it that next season the league will expand again since Quebec has a new management structure.

I could see that developing...but honestly, if I'm a future Nords fan, do you really want to count on the old guard...or get a nice new fresh start?

48 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Don't know if it was touched on...but from the outside looking in, I don't think Roy ever liked Barrie, and when the team signed him to a long term contract rather than trade him, it was basically the end for Roy. You just don't find 50-60 pt d-men in this league, much less guys who have not even peaked....good riddance Patrick...we will not miss you.

Yeah, that's the exact same thing I suggested in this thread yesterday. I'm in agreement with you.

On 8/11/2016 at 5:57 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

In fairness, he had legit reasons for leaving Montreal.

Coach made his life living hell night in and night out and hated him before he was even coach.

I actually had the same thought immediately upon reading it.

Maybe they bring back Hartley?

Who else might get this job?

Craig Berube? 

Smart hockey guy? Or smartest hockey guy ever? 

Seriously, Patrick Roy did Sakic the favor of not having to fire his friend. The team is on a downhill projectory the past two seasons and has done nothing to change that. 

Friendship aside, he had to be on a short leash. He did Sakic a favor and saved some face  himself (though I'm not sure the optics of quitting like this are much better than being fired).

20 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think he has an uncanny knack for recognizing a loser when he sees one, and he can also recognize when that loser isn't going to get any better. He hates losing. 

Have the Montreal Canadiens accomplished anything since Roy left them for Colorado? Nope. I think he took a look around, recognized that he was in a dog pile of an organization and said: "I'm tired of carrying this team. Bye." 

The Avalanche today are not your Avs from 1996. There's nothing special about that team. Roy probably feels like he's wasting his time there. :(

Roy also wouldn't play for Team Canada unless he was handed the starting job. Is that a dog pile that you're wasting your time on?

The guy is a petulant child. 

He had one good year in Colorado as a coach when his goalie played at a level that was clearly unsustainable. He may be the worst coach in the NHL. Watch MacKinnons numbers go up with whoever they replace Roy with. 

35 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Roy also wouldn't play for Team Canada unless he was handed the starting job. Is that a dog pile that you're wasting your time on?

The guy is a petulant child. 

He had one good year in Colorado as a coach when his goalie played at a level that was clearly unsustainable. He may be the worst coach in the NHL. Watch MacKinnons numbers go up with whoever they replace Roy with. 

You would never hear it mentioned in the press, but I'm sure Duchene, McKinnon, Barrie and Landeskog (among others) are all doing the happy dance right about now.

Since we are all having fun bashing on St.Patrick...lol, (well deserved I might add).....just thought I'd mention the Wings vs Habs fiasco. As I seem to recall, the Wings went to Montreal and laid a royal beating on the Habs....it was crazy, I *think* it was 10-1 or 11-1, just one of those games you have once per year and you just forget about it. Anyways, the Montreal coach refused to pull Roy, and has the Wings scored more and more, Patrick had the audacity to publicly humiliate the Owner of the Habs....telling him ...loud enough for the entire arena to hear....he would never play for the Habs again.....so, yeah....he kinda quit his goalie gig....lol, what a Loser...nobody else would have done that so publicly....but then again, couth never was a strong point with St.Patrick.

35 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Since we are all having fun bashing on St.Patrick...lol, (well deserved I might add).....just thought I'd mention the Wings vs Habs fiasco. As I seem to recall, the Wings went to Montreal and laid a royal beating on the Habs....it was crazy, I *think* it was 10-1 or 11-1, just one of those games you have once per year and you just forget about it. Anyways, the Montreal coach refused to pull Roy, and has the Wings scored more and more, Patrick had the audacity to publicly humiliate the Owner of the Habs....telling him ...loud enough for the entire arena to hear....he would never play for the Habs again.....so, yeah....he kinda quit his goalie gig....lol, what a Loser...nobody else would have done that so publicly....but then again, couth never was a strong point with St.Patrick.

At least he's a great parent.  :63:

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199512020MTL.html

9 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I read a Sports illustrated article once that expanded the situation. Mostly from the perspective of Keane, who was traded alongside Roy.

Apparently Tremblay hated Roy and treated him like the worst player on the team and disciplined him at every opportunity in practice to humiliate him, while allowing others to get away with worse infractions. Something the rest of them disagreed with. Shot a puck at his throat in practice intentionally or something? They almost got in fistfights twice.

Tremblay says he asked if Roy was ok and if he wanted to be pulled. Roy and the other players maintain he wouldn't let him come out and wanted to it him in the ego by forcing him to stay in net during a blowout game.

I always hated Roy, but the side of the story I read makes me a bit sympathetic to him leaving Montreal.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:41 PM, hf101 said:

Montreal is in such a stupid situation. In this day and age, they hire with extreme prejudice and MUST have some french Canadians and a french speaking coach at all costs. Remember the time they promoted the assistant coach to head coach who only spoke English? The Government stepped in and demanded they remedy the situation quickly. It is insane.

If there is one thing I hate about Canada, it is the fact that we tolerate having a political party with a foundation and base rooted in treason against Canada itself.

On 8/12/2016 at 3:41 PM, hf101 said:

If he went back to Montreal as coach, that would be the ultimate irony.

@radoran suggested that this could have been a matter of Roy taking his ball and going home when he didn't get something he pushed for. I can definitely see that being a real possibility. That's pretty much what happened when he left Montreal for Colorado.

14 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If there is one thing I hate about Canada, it is the fact that we tolerate having a political party with a foundation and base rooted in treason against Canada itself.

Couldn't have said it any better.  :canada:

I'd add in a quip about the status of Indians here too, but that's a topic for a thread next summer perhaps.  :P

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'd add in a quip about the status of Indians here too, but that's a topic for a thread next summer perhaps.  :P

Going to trade in the Islamophobia for something more classically Canadian are you?

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

May I suggest you stick to hockey? I'm starting to wonder if we have our own Donald Trump up here.

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

May I suggest you stick to hockey? I'm starting to wonder if we have our own Donald Trump up here.

Seconded. 

Didn't mean to start that here. Was just griping over Montreal government. Sticking their nose in hockey like having a non French coach would be the apocalypse

22 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Going to trade in the Islamophobia for something more classically Canadian are you?

It wasn't a negative thing. Honest. It was about ending the segregation that occurs in Canada and treating everyone as equals. But anyway, wrong thread for that and a sensitive issue for some to be sure. :)

17 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Didn't mean to start that here. Was just griping over Montreal government. Sticking their nose in hockey like having a non French coach would be the apocalypse

Me either.  Honest!  :toast:

I don't understand why the Canadiens have to have a French coach. (To me, it's more than a language issue.) The players come from all over the world. Why can't the coaches? 

Archived