Roy Quits on Avalanche

radoran

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/08/11/patrick-roy-resigns-from-avalanche-in-stunning-move/

I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and V-P of hockey operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team’s performance. These conditions are not currently met.

I remain forever loyal to the Avalanche with which I played 478 games, coached another 253, and won two Stanley Cups.

I remain "forever loyal" and also, too, I quit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has to be something going on behind the scenes. I can't imagine him just quitting like this 2 months before the beginning of the season if there weren't. Now, that something may be completely on Roy since we all know about his temper and temperament, but it can't be too simple. At least that's my guess.

talk about screwing your team former team ,,,,I agree with @ScottM there has got to more to this story.  I guess they are going to have to promote from withing.  Not sure who is available this late in the game......

Wow ...what a shocking turn of events in Avs land

23 minutes ago, ScottM said:

There has to be something going on behind the scenes. I can't imagine him just quitting like this 2 months before the beginning of the season if there weren't. Now, that something may be completely on Roy since we all know about his temper and temperament, but it can't be too simple. At least that's my guess.

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

talk about screwing your team former team ,,,,I agree with @ScottM there has got to more to this story.  I guess they are going to have to promote from withing.  Not sure who is available this late in the game......

Wow ...what a shocking turn of events in Avs land

I'm thinking he started a power play for the GM job and got negged.

So he took his ball and went home.

I put this in the shoutbox, but am putting it here as well.  

Glad to see he's continuing his track record of quitting on teams when he doesn't get his way.

Also, the fact that he announced when Sakic was on vacation, says a LOT......

ZxXYiF4.png

You left me in for a blow-out? I demand a trade.

You're not automatically naming me starter for Team Canada? I'm not going, then.

I may have missed other such things, but these came to mind immediately.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the power struggle is really about Tyson Barrie. Roy is not in any way, shape or form a fan of Barrie or his style of play, so it's not like he's in a position where he can really bench or healthy scratch him. Tyson stays, Roy goes, is my guess as to what happened.

"Roy says vision of HC/VP needs to be aligned with organization and he must have say in decisions team makes, but those needs not being met." sounds a lot like "I didn't want that kid anywhere near my hockey team, but the guys I sit next to in the room out-voted me, and agreed to a 4-year deal with him."

We've all seen Roy quit over less.

Ah, I'm probably talking out of my ass. As usual.   lol

58 minutes ago, ScottM said:

I agree.

I'll speculate.  I think the Aves have some financial issues.  If I recall correctly without looking it up the fans aren't filling the seats as they were.   The Aves have also sunk to one of the lowest Cap hit teams and I believe they will stay there until they fix the financial woes of the team.

Since the Aves basically did nothing to make themselves a contender this summer, they will continue to sink in the competitive western conference.  -- And as a coach, who expects to be a "winner" Roy likely wants no part of a long term rebuild.

---just my 2cents.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I'm thinking he started a power play for the GM job and got negged.

I thought Joe Sakic was the GM? No?

Edit: He is so why would he try for his friends job? Unless that was a joke that went over my head.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

ZxXYiF4.png

You're not automatically naming me starter for Team Canada? I'm not going, then.

In fairness, he had legit reasons for leaving Montreal.

Coach made his life living hell night in and night out and hated him before he was even coach.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

In all seriousness, I wonder if the power struggle is really about Tyson Barrie. Roy is not in any way, shape or form a fan of Barrie or his style of play, so it's not like he's in a position where he can really bench or healthy scratch him. Tyson stays, Roy goes, is my guess as to what happened.

"Roy says vision of HC/VP needs to be aligned with organization and he must have say in decisions team makes, but those needs not being met." sounds a lot like "I didn't want that kid anywhere near my hockey team, but the guys I sit next to in the room out-voted me, and agreed to a 4-year deal with him."

We've all seen Roy quit over less.

Ah, I'm probably talking out of my ass. As usual.   lol

I actually had the same thought immediately upon reading it.

Maybe they bring back Hartley?

Who else might get this job?

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I agree.

I'll speculate.  I think the Aves have some financial issues.  If I recall correctly without looking it up the fans aren't filling the seats as they were.   The Aves have also sunk to one of the lowest Cap hit teams and I believe they will stay there until they fix the financial woes of the team.

Since the Aves basically did nothing to make themselves a contender this summer, they will continue to sink in the competitive western conference.  -- And as a coach, who expects to be a "winner" Roy likely wants no part of a long term rebuild.

---just my 2cents.

I don't see a long rebuild for them. their core of kids are young and awesome, and potentials like Rantanen have high ceilings.

But that defense needs a boost. Bigtime. This is a team that would benefit from adding Russell for the price he wants, and there are not many of those since he wants too much.

Their top 6 is pretty strong. bottom 6 not cringeworthy

Roy was one of those coaches who was good year 1, then lost it.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

ZxXYiF4.png

It seems to work out for him. Now he'll get hired as the coach of the next team to win two Stanley Cups. :)

Part of Roy's statement:

"I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.

In other words Roy didn't think the team would improve without change.

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well, no team worth a damn will hire him again. How often do coaches quit mid contract?

Probably Montreal will hire him to replace Therrien.  :5726b5f6a27ed_anidea:  Sakic seems to have come to Roy's defense here in his statements.

Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic said he soon plans to go golfing with Patrick Roy, who resigned as the team’s coach Thursday. During a conference call about five hours after Roy announced in a written statement issued by a public relations agency that he was resigning, Sakic said he and Roy have no ill feelings about each other.

“We both respect each other really well. We’ve always been friends and we’ll always continue to be friends,” Sakic said. “He was contemplating this for a few weeks. It was tough on him, stressful and I know right now he’s very comfortable with his decision and probably relieved that it’s over for him. So I’m happy that he came to this decision for himself and he’s comfortable with it and ready to move on. I wish him the best.”

The Avs missed the playoffs and regressed in the standings the past two seasons, after Roy’s surprising 112-point rookie season when they won the Central Division. The Avs slipped to 90 points in 2014-15 and fell to 82 points last season.

“He didn’t have a lot of fun last year,” Sakic said. “He came to this decision on his own.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/11/joe-sakic-patrick-roy-friendship-colorado-avalanche/

It's often been said that goalies tend to be a "flaky" bunch...and that they may not necessarily make the best coaches and/or GM's.

Of course, exceptions to this rule exist, but still, perhaps Roy is simply perpetuating that stigma.

Or, as mentioned, some others stuff is going on behind the scenes.

I know its probably oversimplifying, but the Avalanche have been basically playing WITHOUT A FRIGGIN DEFENSE the last several seasons.

Pretty hard to win that way.

The fact that they won their division a few seasons ago is nice, but proved that was just a mirage. They played over their heads and got away with a lackluster defense at that point in time.

"Wild upset the division champion Avalanche" was the headline...i don't think so. The Avs DID NOT BELONG in that position to begin with. Wild beat a team they SHOULD have.

Fast forward to today..and the Avs STILL are without a credible defense.

And maybe that is what has Roy frustrated.

Then again, his job as coach is to mold this team to play their best overall game, no?

He DOES have plenty of talent on that team...he just needs some guys who can cover the opposition properly, or at the very least, get guys ALREADY on the team to play in such a way.

Regardless of what may be going on behind the scenes, this doesn't look good on Roy to just up and quit.

Plenty of other (and much more qualified coaches than Roy) have dealt with adversity, butting heads with management, dealing with stubborn players, etc.....but they honor they committments until they are told their services are no longer needed.

This makes it look like Roy felt he may be canned (due to not being able to get through to players) and he decided he would remove himself before that happened.

31 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It's often been said that goalies tend to be a "flaky" bunch...and that they may not necessarily make the best coaches and/or GM's.

Of course, exceptions to this rule exist, but still, perhaps Roy is simply perpetuating that stigma.

Or, as mentioned, some others stuff is going on behind the scenes.

I think he has an uncanny knack for recognizing a loser when he sees one, and he can also recognize when that loser isn't going to get any better. He hates losing. 

Have the Montreal Canadiens accomplished anything since Roy left them for Colorado? Nope. I think he took a look around, recognized that he was in a dog pile of an organization and said: "I'm tired of carrying this team. Bye." 

The Avalanche today are not your Avs from 1996. There's nothing special about that team. Roy probably feels like he's wasting his time there. :(

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think he has an uncanny knack for recognizing a loser when he sees one, and he can also recognize when that loser isn't going to get any better. He hates losing. 

Have the Montreal Canadiens accomplished anything since Roy left them for Colorado? Nope. I think he took a look around, recognized that he was in a dog pile of an organization and said: "I'm tired of carrying this team. Bye." 

The Avalanche today are not your Avs from 1996. There's nothing special about that team. Roy probably feels like he's wasting his time there. :(

See, I don't know if I would call him having an "uncanny knack"....ANY average joe or jane can find themselves in a bad situation and go "You know, this isn't for me, I'm leaving". Hell, I'VE done that with jobs in the past.

The "uncanny" part would have to come in where he has the foresight to see where an organization is headed, or better yet, HELP MOLD the organization into what it could be, BEFORE taking the job.

Going back to Montreal, it didn't take any special abilities for him to go off on the coach for leaving him in a blowout game, then requesting/demanding a trade.

I would have been more impressed had he orchestrated a way to make sure that management was shown the door. But no...he just left.

In Avalanche-land, he was a juniors coach and decided to try his hand at the NHL level. Because he did well in juniors and he is St. Patrick, that means he is a shoe-in for success as an NHL coach right?

Ahh, the hubris....

He did NOT have the uncanny ability to see what problems the Avalanche seriously had. He was part of a friggin championship team for a few years, and you mean to tell me he couldn't see beforehand that this current group is NO WHERE near the level of the guys he played alongside??

Joe Sakic runs the team. Classy guy. Team guy. Intelligent man.

You mean to tell me Roy knows something about how to build a winner that Joe doesn't??

Sorry, I don't buy that.

It is Roy's prerogative to take his puck and go home if he wants, but he hasn't shown me anything special as a coach.

Great, great HOF player, but thus far, very mediocre top level head coach.

Not like he doesn't have talent on the team. Not like they haven't put together some good runs of games throughout his tenure.

But for whatever reason, his team isn't responding to him.

Maybe it's that age old idea of "great players don't make the best teachers"...simply because they are great, and can't understand why others can't be just like them.

Which is probably why a guy like Wayne Gretzky never was a great coach either.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

See, I don't know if I would call him having an "uncanny knack"....ANY average joe or jane can find themselves in a bad situation and go "You know, this isn't for me, I'm leaving". Hell, I'VE done that with jobs in the past.

The "uncanny" part would have to come in where he has the foresight to see where an organization is headed, or better yet, HELP MOLD the organization into what it could be, BEFORE taking the job.

But a lot of players will spend their entire career on a losing team, in a non-hockey sunbelt market, just to collect a paycheque. Their career becomes defined by losing. For many players, they're in it for the money while winning is just an added bonus. Roy (as a player) was about winning. If he couldn't be on a winner, he went elsewhere. Perhaps he felt the same way as a coach in Colorado that he did as a player in Montreal. 

That's my guess anyway... :huh:

You make excellent points though. :)

Archived