The Jimmy Vesey Sweepstakes -Official: signs with Rangers

Paparanger

So as of midnight tonight Jimmy Vesey Sweepstakes begin. It appears that there are four (Maybe Five) teams in the running to get him and this is what I have been reading about all of this:

Right now his rights are owned by Buffalo. They have been trying to sign him but he has made it clear he wants to go to free agency but they can still try after he hears all other offers.

Speaking of offers, The CBA states that he can only be signed to a max contract of $925,000.00 and a max term of Two years. So no matter who talks to him, this is the ceiling for now.

I read that the Bruins have an interest in him because they can use a top nine forward and he is a local Boston kid. But, I also read that the hometown pressure might be a bit too much on him

Then there is Chicago. I read that Stan Bowman is salivating over this kid, but I also read that his chances of becoming a top nine forward or even making the team out of training camp is very slim. They are after all Chicago and they have pretty much no holes in their lineup.

Then there is the Toronto Maple Leafs. I haven't heard much about them other than Vesey's father is a scout for them and as bad as they are he could crack the lineup. But what I also read is that if he chose the Leafs, he could be hitching himself to a dead horse for a couple of years.

Then there are the Rangers. Now on a personal note, for me the jury is still out on this one. So if they get him, "Fine" and if not "Fine too" . Not too sure how much they need another forward. Defense seems to be their biggest problem. However could it be that they are counting on getting him at the attractive $925 and then trading another forward for a D-Man. I heard that too and the name Nash continues to come up.

As far as the Rangers hook, here is what I hear; Vesey is close friends with Kevin Hayes and knows Chris Kreider very well. I read that Dom Moore who went to Harvard told Vesey that NY is the place to be and I also read that Vesey's agent Peter Fish and Jeff Gorton and very close friends. And I read that New York is close to home but not too close, so I guess by Wednesday or Thursday we will know where the kid lands but for now it's wait and see.

Here is the latest article about Vesey and the Rangers. Take from it what you will. http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/harvard-hotshot-jimmy-veseys-camp-sees-a-fit-with-rangers/

I think the Rangers could use a player like Vesey. If signed and he stays, he could provide some continuity as a younger team leader. The Rangers forwards corps has a nice mix of vets and young guys, adding another young guy with a good motor would be a positive. IMO the younger guys on the roster lack "something" Krieder is such a talent but is so inconsistent maybe a guy like Vesey helps his game.

I really think Vesey's connection with Eichel and the opportunity to play with him gives the Sabres the inside track.

Chicago DOES have holes in their top nine, more than ever actually. Hossa may not be done but he is clearly on decline, they gave up on Shaw and Terravainen for cap space, they are praying to god above that kids Hartman and Schmaltz and possibly Motte can make the team and make a difference. Of the three, maybe one is likely to do so.  So I could easily see Vesey landing there.

Of the rest, I kind of agree with @mojo1917 that Buffalo and Eichel would be ideal and it gives them an edge. The Rags could desperately use him, same with the Bruins who have three top tier centers but no real finishers.

I would rank the odds as:

Buffalo

Chicago

Boston

Rangers

@Paparanger  Apparently the Islanders are in the mix also of teams Vesey plans to visit.   The city, the coach, the GM, the salary structure, how a team treats their players in the second and third contracts down the road are some of the factors also in his decision.  The Rangers may have a decent shot at him as they've traded away some of their top draft picks and there is room in the cap especially as Nash's contract ends in a couple of years.  I'd think the Blackhawks would be a slam dunk except that they are farthest away from Boston and their cap structure is such the Vesey could see himself as trade bait as Hossa's contract doesn't end anytime soon.

I wonder if Vesey is an analytics major as he has a lot of factors to consider here.

Y'all will have to pardon my ignoramus-ness, but really, what is the big deal with this Jimmy Vesey?

His numbers in the Ivy League are phenomenal, granted, but since when is the Ivy League competition anywhere close to what a player may encounter in Major Juniors or the AHL?

I am not knocking the Ivy League, mind you, but it just seems to me the media is falling all over themselves trying to make this guy look like he could be the 3.9 GPA version of Wayne Gretzky.

I don't follow the college hockey ranks closely at all, so perhaps that could be the main source of my lack of knowledge here, but what is it that makes this guy special? Aside from his goals and assist totals in games played that is.

Anyone can look at those and go "Hey, those are great! He is going to be a good NHL player".

But really, would he? Is he going to be well over a point per game player in the NHL...or even just below a point per game player in the NHL? Not likely, I think.

Maybe he is just a super talented player who has not really been tested playing for Harvard....not tested like he would be had he been playing in the Major Juniors against guys who eat, sleep, breathe and crap hockey.

Then comes the experience and more physical aspect to the game that he would encounter at the AHL and NHL level.

I don't think anybody is thinking he's going to be a star, but even if he's only a ~40 point player, that's still a pretty useful player. Whoever signs him is picking up a 23 year old with potential that they didn't have to draft and then wait 2-3 years to develop. And he can be had for relatively cheap considering the limits of an ELC. If he's a good player, you can give him a bigger contract. If not, he's not going to cripple you like a bad UFA signing might.

Besides, it's August. What else do we have to talk about? A World Cup that nobody seems to care about?:biggrin:

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Y'all will have to pardon my ignoramus-ness, but really, what is the big deal with this Jimmy Vesey?

His numbers in the Ivy League are phenomenal, granted, but since when is the Ivy League competition anywhere close to what a player may encounter in Major Juniors or the AHL?

I am not knocking the Ivy League, mind you, but it just seems to me the media is falling all over themselves trying to make this guy look like he could be the 3.9 GPA version of Wayne Gretzky.

I don't follow the college hockey ranks closely at all, so perhaps that could be the main source of my lack of knowledge here, but what is it that makes this guy special? Aside from his goals and assist totals in games played that is.

Anyone can look at those and go "Hey, those are great! He is going to be a good NHL player".

But really, would he? Is he going to be well over a point per game player in the NHL...or even just below a point per game player in the NHL? Not likely, I think.

Maybe he is just a super talented player who has not really been tested playing for Harvard....not tested like he would be had he been playing in the Major Juniors against guys who eat, sleep, breathe and crap hockey.

Then comes the experience and more physical aspect to the game that he would encounter at the AHL and NHL level.

I posted much the same in the fantasy section.

Hobey Baker winners are very hit and miss. is stats are not Gaudreau/Eichel stats. They are Matt Carle/Blake Geoffrion/Kevin Porter stats.

He can definitely have a shot at a middle 6 role in the NHL, so signing him is like getting a nice late 1st round pick for a bit of cap space, but otherwise free.

@Paparanger

No word yet on which team Vesey will play for.  However, the Rangers did sign 23 yr old 6' 190 lb defenseman John Gilmore who was a 7th round pick of the Calgary Flames.  

Gilmour had nine goals and 14 assists last season at Providence, and his 16 power-play points ranked fifth among NCAA defensemen. He recorded 22 goals and 43 assists in 141 games at Providence over the past four years, helping the Friars win the national title in 2014-15.

Guess he didn't want to share the spotlight with Jack in Buffalo. Either that or he didn't want 8 months of a WNY winter. 

Whatever the reason, the fact there are sabres fans upset right now has started my weekend off right! :CelebratingSmiley:

11 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Guess he didn't want to share the spotlight with Jack in Buffalo. Either that or he didn't want 8 months of a WNY winter. 

Whatever the reason, the fact there are sabres fans upset right now has started my weekend off right! :CelebratingSmiley:

I'm just glad the Flyers didn't sign him. He's nothing special  

On 8/15/2016 at 9:46 AM, Paparanger said:

As far as the Rangers hook, here is what I hear; Vesey is close friends with Kevin Hayes and knows Chris Kreider very well. I read that Dom Moore who went to Harvard told Vesey that NY is the place to be and I also read that Vesey's agent Peter Fish and Jeff Gorton and very close friends. And I read that New York is close to home but not too close, so I guess by Wednesday or Thursday we will know where the kid lands but for now it's wait and see.

Good call on Vesey to the Rangers. :goodjob:

No doubt both Hayes and Kreider had significant influence in this decision.  Other key factors are I believe due to the end of Nash's $7.8M contract in 2 years which is ideal for Vesey to get a significant pay raise when this entry level contract ends.  There also isn't a lot of depth in the Rangers system.  The Rangers also still have a team that will contend for the playoffs and possibly even the Stanley Cup.

56 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Good to see him sign there?   Are you serious?  So its good that your most hated and biggest rival gets a young prospect?  Give me a  break.  So go cheer for them why don't you?  Ra Ra Rangers says Flyercanuck.  Its another example of a smaller market team, even one with alot of money behind them, my Sabres, getting snubbed due to the glamour of being in NY.  Well its not going to be a smooth ride  And Buffalo has much more talent that is growing than the Rangers and their money  

Wow someone woke up cranky this morning .... You know it is not a sin to acknowledge when another team (even a rival) makes a nice move/signing.  Sure blame the small market card .....maybe the fact is Vesey just does not like Applebee's / Wings / and the cold bitter winters of Western NY or Sabre fans driving Luminas.

56 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

When they pummel your Flyers will you still be patting him on the back?

Man lighten up .... you think the Flyers are just going to roll over and die.  I guess you don't pay too much attention to cap space / draft / etc .... You act like the Flyers have stood still while the NHL zips by them.   Outside of Dylan Mcllrath (D), the Rangers are very weak in the future prospect department.  You make Vesey sound like he is the 2nd coming of McJesus or Eichel, when in fact he has really not proven anything  yet.  The Flyers have one of the deepest future prospects in Goalies and D-men, not too mention Konecny or Rubstov in the wings.  The Flyers are going to be just fine.  Just don't come crying when Eichel gets run over by the likes of a Provorov / Haag / Sanheim / or Morin.

49 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Good to see him sign there?   Are you serious?  So its good that your most hated and biggest rival gets a young prospect?  Give me a  break.  So go cheer for them why don't you?  Ra Ra Rangers says Flyercanuck.  Its another example of a smaller market team, even one with alot of money behind them, my Sabres, getting snubbed due to the glamour of being in NY.  Well its not going to be a smooth ride  And Buffalo has much more talent that is growing than the Rangers and their money  They are the Yankees of the NHL and do not forget it.  When they pummel your Flyers will you still be patting him on the back?

Go Blue Jays.

Happy?

It's an interesting choice. I really thought Toronto, Chicago, or Buffalo would be better fits. I just see the Rangers as being at the point where they need to sell off and rebuild. Sure Vesey could be part of a rebuild, but Chicago still has a couple years with their core, and Buffalo and Toronto will be up and coming. The Rangers are going to lag behind, especially if they try to limp along as buyers for another year or two.

Archived