• Canada
    • Czech Republic
    • Europe
    • Finland
    • North America
    • Russia
    • Sweden
    • USA

I'm guessing that most North American hockey fans will switch over to the young stars team should Canada or the US fail to make the semi-finals, seems like it would be a natural progression for most of us.

Just thinking out loud here, but I don't recall a #1 overall pick in the draft debuting in his home rink for an international tourny before his nhl career starts out. Pretty cool scenario there....and could you imagine the TO press should Matthews start to domnate?  ha ha...would never hear the end of it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had already voted for the NA team over USA  in the poll.  lol.  No Flyers on team USA.

Well, Matthews is playing on the same line as McDavid to the best of my knowledge -- that does count for something.

Of the top 30 American born scorers last season, only 13 of them are on the WC roster. Palmieri, who was tied for 5th among American born players in goals and 3rd in PP goals, apparently wasn't necessary to a team that got shutout and whose PP has sucked the entire tournament.

11 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

If you count the Olympics in 2014, the US (with all NHL players) has been shutout in their last 3 meaningful games.:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

If you ask me, that GIGANTIC turn of a hockey executive  ....Brian Burke should NEVER ....EVER....be part of picking any team. That idiot would take truculence over skill 9 times out of 10.....yep, paging Mr.Tyler Biggs....you are the next contestant on the price is WRONG!!

I have not seen Palmieri since the 1st exhibition game between the USA and Canada. He had a shoving match with Sid at the end of the 1st period. I think he has been dropped to the 13 forward position. Amazing, how a young 30 goal scorer with nice hands and speed to burn is not dressed ....and a hard working guy but GIANT stiff like Abdelkaer (spelling...lol, the Red Wing) is getting a regular shift....just amazing.

Palmieri did take a couple penalties in the exhibition which probably didn't help his case, but from what I saw they were using him more like Torts' boy Callahan than a guy who scored 30 goals. He's not a guy who is afraid to mix it up, but that's still a pretty stupid way to use him.

I'm torn because I hate seeing the US lose, especially when so much of it is self inflicted by poor personnel and coaching choices putting the team together. But on the other hand it's a tournament I don't really care that much about and just hope nobody gets hurt.

50 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Palmieri did take a couple penalties in the exhibition which probably didn't help his case, but from what I saw they were using him more like Torts' boy Callahan than a guy who scored 30 goals. He's not a guy who is afraid to mix it up, but that's still a pretty stupid way to use him.

I'm torn because I hate seeing the US lose, especially when so much of it is self inflicted by poor personnel and coaching choices putting the team together. But on the other hand it's a tournament I don't really care that much about and just hope nobody gets hurt.

Isn't that what Fonzie wants them to do? 

Lombardi is the GM and Holmgren the assistant GM, so I guess we shouldn't be that surprised they're in love with the "sandpaper" guys. It would just be nice if we'd take our best players and worry about the rest later rather than overthinking these tournaments.

15 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Lombardi is the GM and Holmgren the assistant GM, so I guess we shouldn't be that surprised they're in love with the "sandpaper" guys. It would just be nice if we'd take our best players and worry about the rest later rather than overthinking these tournaments.

That's just it. It's one thing to lose, but another entirely when you lose and didn't even bother to ice your best lineup.

On 8/25/2016 at 3:52 PM, Polaris922 said:

The "World Cup" is nothing but a blatant money grab hidden under national flags.  What a joke.  It annoys me that players feel compelled to play under the guise of nationalism and it does nothing but take them away from their team commitments. I understand the Olympics every four years.  But this is pointless.  

Could not have said it better.  I completely agree.   I despise the entire thing. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Isn't that what Fonzie wants them to do? 

Only saw the last two periods of the U.S. / Europe game. This is Fonzie's team.  It didn't have a chance.  They built a physical team for an international tournament that usually relies on talent and speed.   The fact that Ferret Face was picked as head coach gave them little chance.  Loved the speed of the game though, that's the kind of game that is fun to watch. Didn't see the late game, fell asleep due to the 11 hours of driving earlier in the day coming back home. 

Currently watching Russia vs. Sweden. Russia not looking so hot. Sweden definitely got lucky with their first goal, I personally think it was a bogus call. Although, maybe I'm just bias since I'd like Russia to win. 

23 minutes ago, mrspanarin said:

Currently watching Russia vs. Sweden. Russia not looking so hot. Sweden definitely got lucky with their first goal, I personally think it was a bogus call. Although, maybe I'm just bias since I'd like Russia to win. 

Welcome @mrspanarin

You now have member status and can use the chatter box and game chat. 

We are a friendly site,  enjoy.  I'm not able to watch today's game  as I'm actually in Wisconsin traveling back to PA. 

12 hours ago, mrspanarin said:

As usual the difference between Russia and the great teams is defence...and the Swedes have it. Russia? When you have 37 year old Markov on your top pair....

On September 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM, jammer2 said:

Pretty sure that Kessel would have been invited, he had an injury that did not permit him to play, forget what the actual injury was...perhaps the razor sharp lids of those Pringle cans were involved.....:572958dca2943_scratcheshead:. That was a key loss, because he could have played on the top line LW and pushed Pacorietty down to the 2nd line, making that unit a lot more dangerous. The whole trickle down thing would have really helped in the scoring dept.

One promising thing for the Americans, should the USA lose another one like the Europe game, it will be the end of Fonzie in international tournaments, which is very nice, cause there is a LOT more smart hockey minds than that tool.

Kessel was left off the roster prior to anyone divulging his injury.   Unless there was some secret phone call or something.  I'm pretty sure that was during the Cup final. 

Team Europe, with their second win today, was supposed to be one of the weaker teams in the tournament.  I'm not sure what the tie breakers are, but they have beaten two teams in their division and appear to be on their way to the single elimination semi final round.  I'm really surprised.

22 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Team Europe, with their second win today, was supposed to be one of the weaker teams in the tournament.  I'm not sure what the tie breakers are, but they have beaten two teams in their division and appear to be on their way to the single elimination semi final round.  I'm really surprised.

They've got guys like Chara, Hossa, Kopitar who have come up big on championship teams in the NHL, so I'm not entirely surprised they've put it together after looking bad against the kids in the exhibition games.

That said, I still had them behind Canada and the US in their group. It's too bad the US seems to be in full bronze medal 2014 vs Finland mode.

I'm sure some detractors now realize that is type of a tournament is important. Having it sandwiched between two different Olympic games is perfect. The problem is, 4 years is a long time career wise, and over the course of those 4 years a team that won a medal could have over half the team turn over, due to players getting old, retiring or just fresh blood forcing out older players.

There is enough top shelf talent to gain an accurate barometer on how various countries have evolved, gotten better or in some cases regressed. If we waited the full 4 years, a lot of guys would have been robbed of representing Canada one last time, Joe Thornton comes to mind, a guy who has been awesome representing his country and deserved one last moment in the spotlight.

Because of the unique make-up of this tourny, the teams from Canada and the USA have gotten some excellent insight into their young up and coming stars and what individual players can offer in an international setting. They also get an idea on how certain players handle pressure and how they perform playing on off wing etc.

This is probably the last go round for Thornton, Carter (had he played), Giroux and Boumeester among others. All guys who have played their hearts out for Canada and certainly deserve one last moment in the sun.

Not that it was ever in doubt, but players such as McDavid, Exblad and McKinnon can now be deemed "ready" for the big show (you can even count Benn and Seguin in this group). Ditto for the USA and Gaudreau, Eichel and Ghost.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a young wickedly talented kid like Provorov was held out of this sucker. He's better right now than half their defense. Russia should have been giving him reps with the other up and comers. Bad decision.

Players for countries like Germany and Slovakia have their stars gain invaluable experience at international games and perhaps it makes the next Olympics more competitive.

The USA now knows that goals are important, and learn their lesson without risking a medal. It's really a win-win scenario and the real winners are the fans, who get to watch these all out wars.

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm sure some detractors now realize that is type of a tournament is important. Having it sandwiched between two different Olympic games is perfect. The problem is, 4 years is a long time career wise, and over the course of those 4 years a team that won a medal could have over half the team turn over, due to players getting old, retiring or just fresh blood forcing out older players.

There is enough top shelf talent to gain an accurate barometer on how various countries have evolved, gotten better or in some cases regressed. If we waited the full 4 years, a lot of guys would have been robbed of representing Canada one last time, Joe Thornton comes to mind, a guy who has been awesome representing his country and deserved one last moment in the spotlight.

Because of the unique make-up of this tourny, the teams from Canada and the USA have gotten some excellent insight into their young up and coming stars and what individual players can offer in an international setting. They also get an idea on how certain players handle pressure and how they perform playing on off wing etc.

This is probably the last go round for Thornton, Carter (had he played), Giroux and Boumeester among others. All guys who have played their hearts out for Canada and certainly deserve one last moment in the sun.

Not that it was ever in doubt, but players such as McDavid, Exblad and McKinnon can now be deemed "ready" for the big show (you can even count Benn and Seguin in this group). Ditto for the USA and Gaudreau, Eichel and Ghost.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a young wickedly talented kid like Provorov was held out of this sucker. He's better right now than half their defense. Russia should have been giving him reps with the other up and comers. Bad decision.

Players for countries like Germany and Slovakia have their stars gain invaluable experience at international games and perhaps it makes the next Olympics more competitive.

The USA now knows that goals are important, and learn their lesson without risking a medal. It's really a win-win scenario and the real winners are the fans, who get to watch these all out wars.

I wish I could see it that way.  

Archived