Stanley Cup Winner Predictions (2016-17)

WordsOfWisdom

Last year it was easy to pick Pittsburgh: they acquired Kessel. Whatever screws over Leafs fans the most is always what happens. Looking at it this year, the Leafs dealt away Bernier and Reimer. Bernier was a total flop in Toronto, so it only stands to reason that he'll find his game now after being traded and win a Stanley Cup with his new team... the Anaheim Ducks.

So let's examine the contenders shall we?

Anaheim Ducks:

Powered by Leaf castoff Bernier. The Ducks are a dangerous team. It makes perfect sense (in a "the universe is shitting on us" kinda way) to watch Bernier hoist the Cup if you're a Leafs fan.

Florida Panthers:

Powered by Leaf castoff Reimer. Reimer was generally liked in Toronto, and fans wish him well for the most part, so that diminishes his ex-Leaf power somewhat.

Nashville Predators:

Powered by ex-Hab P.K. Subban. Ex-Habs have a long and storied history of winning Cups elsewhere. Subban's addition to the Preds might put them over the top.

Dallas Stars:

Powered by Tyler Seguin, who should have been the Leafs #1 center today if not for the terrible Kessel trade. The causal link here is somewhat weak however.

The Washington Capitals are always a threat, and the Penguins could always repeat as champions too, but I think our Cup winner for this season will come out of that group of four I listed above.

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

I fear the Lightning may have cursed themselves by wearing Leaf blue n white.

Here is hoping they realize the error of their ways, and revert back to black, blue and silver so they can finally hoist the Cup! :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

I just gave you your 1000th like!  How awesome is that?  :ok:

Didn't the Lightning just win the Cup recently?  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I just gave you your 1000th like!  How awesome is that?  :ok:

Didn't the Lightning just win the Cup recently?  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

Well, i wouldn't call 2004 recent....and when they did win it then, they were still under the black, blue n silver!

And 1000 likes, eh?

Yay! I have hit a milestone...and well, you know what they say, milestones are better than kidney stones! :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, i wouldn't call 2004 recent....and when they did win it then, they were still under the black, blue n silver!

Well in Toronto Maple Leafs terms it's recent. That was the last time we had a decent team that made the playoffs on a regular basis. The Leafs have been in the playoffs once since 2004.  :hocky:

5 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And 1000 likes, eh?

Yay! I have hit a milestone...and well, you know what they say, milestones are better than kidney stones! :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Yes indeed!  :5726ba494575b_showingguns:

11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I bought a ten dollar ticket at the Venetian Sports book in Vegas.  I bet the St Louis Blues to win the Stanley Cup.  I think I get around $150 if it happens.  I actually think they have a shot.  They have the talent.

There are a handful of "burnout" teams as I'll call them, that I think are due for major collapses/down years. They are:

• St. Louis Blues
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • New York Rangers
  • Detroit Red Wings

21 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

There are a handful of "burnout" teams as I'll call them, that I think are due for major collapses/down years. They are:

• St. Louis Blues
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • New York Rangers
  • Detroit Red Wings

Reminds me of the entire decade I figured Brodeurs best days were behind him...they weren't.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:27 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Last year it was easy to pick Pittsburgh: they acquired Kessel. Whatever screws over Leafs fans the most is always what happens. Looking at it this year, the Leafs dealt away Bernier and Reimer. Bernier was a total flop in Toronto, so it only stands to reason that he'll find his game now after being traded and win a Stanley Cup with his new team... the Anaheim Ducks.

So let's examine the contenders shall we?

Anaheim Ducks:

Florida Panthers:

Nashville Predators:

Dallas Stars:

You forgot Ottawa........................................................

Yeah, I can't keep a straight face either.

Anyway, getting more serious, I'm not ready to sell on the Sharks yet. I think their window is short, but I feel that they broke down some psychological barriers last season, and that may put them in a stronger position going forward.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Reminds me of the entire decade I figured Brodeurs best days were behind him...they weren't.

Except that the vultures circle every offseason and pluck away more and more of the Chicago dynasty. I think it's just too much at this point to overcome. We shall see. :)

27 minutes ago, ScottM said:

Anyway, getting more serious, I'm not ready to sell on the Sharks yet. I think their window is short, but I feel that they broke down some psychological barriers last season, and that may put them in a stronger position going forward.

I included Anaheim because:

• They always play over their heads
  • They now have Bernier, who will become a Vezina trophy candidate after leaving Toronto (naturally)
  • Everyone else in the west is getting worse

Similarly, the Predators were already a great team, and now they've added Subban, who will probably have a career year in Nashville (further sticking it to the Habs). 

:56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

20 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I bought a ten dollar ticket at the Venetian Sports book in Vegas.  I bet the St Louis Blues to win the Stanley Cup.  I think I get around $150 if it happens.  I actually think they have a shot.  They have the talent.

Yeah what @flyercanuck said...  Bet on the Flyers this year.  

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I included Anaheim because:

• They always play over their heads
  • They now have Bernier, who will become a Vezina trophy candidate after leaving Toronto (naturally)
  • Everyone else in the west is getting worse

Similarly, the Predators were already a great team, and now they've added Subban, who will probably have a career year in Nashville (further sticking it to the Habs). 

:56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

I'm always bearish on Anaheim. Ever since their first, surprise Finals appearance, it seems like we're told every season that they're one of the favorites. Full marks to them for the one Cup in '07, but outside of that, they haven't made it to the Finals. I've come to have an "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality when it comes to them.

I'm also on the other side on the Subban-Weber trade. Short term, I like the Habs end of that. He's older, so the odds are that he'll begin to decline sooner, but right now, I'd take Weber over Subban. I feel like he's more consistent, he has a more level head, and he's a superior leader. In a few years, I agree that the Preds will be ahead, but not yet.

On 9/20/2016 at 1:02 PM, ScottM said:

So how in the World can you leave St Louis off of this list?  or the Kings too for that matter?

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So how in the World can you leave St Louis off of this list?  or the Kings too for that matter?

I didn't make a list. If you'll go back and reread the thread, you'll find that I was referencing WoW's list of "burnout teams." San Jose was the one I found myself disagreeing with the most, so I commented on them.

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It appeared that you listed 4 teams?  Well anyway, if you see HF101 can you tell him I stopped in and would like to be in the fantasy?  I have also posted there.

That was WoW's list. I quoted it. 

On 9/19/2016 at 3:23 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And 1000 likes, eh?

I just gave you 1002.   1002 > 1000

On 9/19/2016 at 10:00 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

If you were just going to piss away $10, you could have just sent it to me.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:13 PM, ScottM said:

I'm always bearish on Anaheim. Ever since their first, surprise Finals appearance, it seems like we're told every season that they're one of the favorites. Full marks to them for the one Cup in '07, but outside of that, they haven't made it to the Finals. I've come to have an "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality when it comes to them.

I am too.  But the biggest reason I've been bearish on the Ducks (Boudreau -- the reason du jour that the Wild will suck) is gone.  I think @WordsOfWisdom's superstition might be warranted, but as much based on Carlyle as Bernier (who I don't think is a great goalie).  

If they're going to do it, the time is now.  The west may be in the middle of a changing of the guard, so to speak.   The recent powerhouses--LA, Chicago--on the decline.   The recent pretenders--St. Louis--also ready to jump the Shark.   The also-rans--Sharks, Stars, Wild, Predators--not as strong as they should be.   Anaheim is the strongest of the recent pretenders.  This might be their opening.

Edmonton is coming.

Unless the Ducks get hot at the right time or someone from the East limps in with injuries having gotten that far on guts, the SCW should come out of the east again.  But even the East, which has some good regular season teams, doesn't inspire a call on a specific team.

The Penguins seem to be an easy choice going in, but if I went to the Venetian Sports Book (there are better Sports Books in Vegas) I'd bet against a repeat.  Mostly just because we're talking repeat.

I would never spend $10 on Washington. Nothing ever gets accomplished in Washington.

We're probably left with a battle of Pittsburgh, NYR, Florida and Tampa.  And I'm not high on the Rangers, but I'm hoping for a solid year there since I'm stuck with Lundqvist in fantasy.   The last of these four standing wins the Cup.

I think Ottawa could possibly surprise people and have a very good season.  But the seas would have to part for them to win the Cup 

Montreal will ride Price as much as they can, but they are unimpressive outside of net.  

Detroit will make the playoffs because they always do.  It's a law or something.  They're not a contender.

The BlueJackets have a guy made of paper mache in net and one made out of horse s### behind the bench.  They're going nowhere.

Buffalo and Philly are coming.  They're not there yet.   Philly will make the playoffs.   Buffalo won't.  Figure on 12th, but they're getting there.

When all is said and done?    It's a Penguins/Anaheim final with another damn parade on Grant Street.

12 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Because their  logo is in the dictionary next to "Pretender."

The Hershey Bears have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup.

You should have put that $10 toward a nice fish dinner.

Archived