Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2016-17

WordsOfWisdom

On 11/18/2016 at 8:09 AM, BluPuk said:

I do believe the kettle is starting to boil....:dancing:

Making some tea?  :angel:

I wish the NHL would pick up on this stat. For 100 years people have complained about the accuracy of +/- and the lack of a proper statistic to measure defence. DE is what they're looking for.

Stats like Corsi and Fenwick are more difficult to quantify because they're listed as indexes instead of pure integer stats that accumulate. How much better is a player with Corsi = 50.3% to one with 50.1%? We know one is better, but how much better?

Defensive errors is as easy to understand as Errors in baseball. There is precedent for a statistic that measures fielding ability by tracking misplays. Baseball does this. It's only natural that hockey would have the same thing albeit adapted to the game of hockey. That's exactly what I've done with DE. It's "Errors" for hockey. The Defensive % stat that I compute with DE / TTOI is analogous to Fielding % in baseball. 

Simply put, the player with the highest Defensive % is the best defensive player on the team at his position. There is no luck involved, and no positive or negative effect caused by linemates. Each player owns their defensive errors. 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nov. 19: TOR vs MTL

1. Kadri, Komarov
  2. Bozak

Final score: 2-1 MTL.

1: Kadri goes in for a hit along the end boards (leaving the points wide open) and Komarov leaves his guy open at the side of the net to bang in the rebound. 

2: Bozak with the penalty.

Close game. Leafs just ran out of time.  :o

Excellent effort for 60 minutes by the Leafs. I don't think we can complain - they have a pretty good goalie.....:hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

BTW, I'll bet that every team in the NHL keeps this stat. They just don't publicize it. 

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Excellent effort for 60 minutes by the Leafs. I don't think we can complain - they have a pretty good goalie.....:hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

BTW, I'll bet that every team in the NHL keeps this stat. They just don't publicize it. 

I suspect they must be, in some fashion or another. They might not be tracking it the way I'm doing it, but I'm sure they have something similar that they use internally. Doesn't do fans much good though. :)

Weber and Price seem to have a profound effect on the outcome of the game whenever they play the Leafs. I saw Weber throwing his weight around, using his shot to maximum effect, and Price making some stunning glove saves. If Weber played for the Leafs (and I suggested the Leafs trade Kessel and someone to acquire him years ago), this game would have been 2-1 Toronto and two points in the standings.

FYI: I noticed Matt Martin on the ice for the first time this season!  LOL.  He took a dumb penalty late in the game and got into a scrap, but I did notice him. ;)

Yah, I'm not quite sure what to make of him yet. Maybe the Leafs are keeping Prust around so they can leverage Martin? At any rate, take a minute and watch Babcock's post game comments (if you haven't already). Man, does he ever have the right attitude... 

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Sorry, WOW, here ya go...

Awesome! 

:5726b7e0b0e17_thankyou1:

Yeah, I agree with Babcock. This was a very winnable game and the Leafs need to start cashing in on these 2 points when they're so close like this. They would be nipping at Ottawa's heels had they won. Instead, they sink back into the murky muddy mucky morass (ran out of M's) that is the bottom of the East.

They haven't yet reached the point where they can achieve separation from any of the bottom teams. But hey, it's better than last season. They're entertaining to watch now. :)

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Just plain frustrating and disappointing. So they go into NJ and win tonight - so what? Unbelievable. :5726b5faa5ef9_lookssad:

It also hurts that they're not getting a point out of it. Somehow they're finding ways to lose games and not be rewarded for it. In Bettman's NHL, that's a very difficult thing to do. 

They ran into a top team in Montreal, but a tired team, and they couldn't push a game like that into OT to grab a point. Okay fine. Then they face a dogpile team like Carolina and a costly giveaway by Blowzak was the difference in the game. That's just unacceptable, sloppy defensive play.

The Leafs are 3rd in GF and 29th in GA. When is management going to address this team's needs? Are they going to continue to "fake it" and act like defence isn't part of the game? :(

I know it's early in the season yet, but I'm getting concerned - this bunch of guys are beginning to look like the other bunch of guys, only younger. Finding ways (and excuses) to lose........ 

12 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

I know it's early in the season yet, but I'm getting concerned - this bunch of guys are beginning to look like the other bunch of guys, only younger. Finding ways (and excuses) to lose........ 

I think the young guys will do fine. Matthews is struggling big time right now, but he will work through it. The trouble is, you can't make a go of it without having things solidified defensively. This group has been careless and lazy when it comes to defending. They need to clamp down on these dumb mistakes they're making. Turnovers are killing this team. :(

We'll see what happens in NJ, another very beatable team. 

Nov. 23: TOR vs NJD

1. Van Riemsdyk, Zaitsev
  2. Hyman, Marincin
  3. Enroth, Rielly
  4. Zaitsev, Nylander, Rielly
  5. (Shootout)

Final score: 5-4 (SO) NJD.

Blowing a 3-goal lead to lose in the shootout. Owch. :(

1: JVR gives the puck away along the boards and Zaitsev rockets out of the zone as if he were a center.

2: Hyman turns the puck over during a penalty kill. (A rare occasion where an extra DE was tacked on during the Marincin penalty.)

3: Enroth gives the puck away up the boards and Rielly doesn't have his guy tied up in front of the net.

4: Giveaway up the boards by Zaitsev, Nylander is in too deep, not covering the point, and doesn't know how to block a shot, and then Rielly can't clear the front of the net to prevent the tip-in goal. 

Nov. 26: TOR vs WSH

1. Van Riemsdyk, Marner, Bozak
  2. Zaitsev, Kadri

Final score: 4-2 TOR.

1: Forwards were way late and lazy getting back here. (It was a 3-on-2 rush for the Caps.)

2: Zaitsev loses his man and Kadri does the same. It was a bad break on the goal for Andersen, but it was a one-timer because of the defensive breakdown. 

Nice to see the Leafs win finally, but they looked somewhat fragile again in the 3rd period. I thought for a moment they were going to cough it up. :)

13 hours ago, BluPuk said:

They are "learning how to win" as Babs would say. All I can say is - if they can do that once, they can do it again to any other team. THAT's what I want to see.... :5726b7ddacc93_bluehockey:

By the end of this month, we'll have a good sample as to what they are. My guess is, we're going to finish somewhere around 12th in the East. We'll see how the next two games go. :)

Nov. 29: TOR vs EDM

1. Soshnikov, Kadri
  2. Bozak

Final score: 4-2 TOR.

1: Mixup by Soshnikov and Kadri at the points, and Soshnikov has no stick. Kadri needs to be far more aggressive here, it isn't a penalty kill. 

2: Turnover by Bozak while linemates were changing.

3 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Damned good win, I thought. The next two games won't be as pleasant.....:hocky:

Yep, good win. They were out-shot though, and the Oilers gave them gifts. Calgary and Vancouver are next. I don't see any major challenge looming, although the Leafs might start EnROT next game. :)

Nov. 30: TOR vs CGY

1. Kadri
  2. Matthews, Enroth
  3. Matthews, Gardiner

Final score: 3-0 CGY.

Ick. Matthews looked lost out there tonight defensively. Enroth gave out a fat, tasty rebound on the 2nd goal. Disappointing result after the Edmonton game. :thumbsd:

Not surprising though, our record in the second game of back-to-backs' is a perfect goose egg.

PS. As a Leafs fan, gotta love this guy. Towards the end one of the reporters asks a dumb question, watch how he handles it. Worth every penny they pay him. :ok:

11 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Not surprising though, our record in the second game of back-to-backs' is a perfect goose egg.

That's the "Enroth factor" at play there. It's a guaranteed loss whenever Enroth is in net. The guy can't stop anything. 

12 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

PS. As a Leafs fan, gotta love this guy. Towards the end one of the reporters asks a dumb question, watch how he handles it. Worth every penny they pay him. :ok:

And what were those two things you didn't like lol?  :biggrin:

I can imagine it was probably something along the lines of: "Don't let your guy skate by you and have a clear path to the net."

Toronto Maple Leafs - Defensive Error Statistics - as of end of November:

de.png

Thoughts? Comments?

Quick reminder about what the stats mean:

• DE = Defensive Errors (should be fairly obvious by now)
  • POS = Position
  • JER = Jersey #
  • GP = Games Played
  • ATOI = Average Time On Ice per game (minutes:seconds)
  • TTOI = Total Time On Ice (in minutes). Calculated as follows: ATOI x GP. For goalies, TTOI = MIN
  • MPBE = Minutes Played Between Errors. Calculated as follows: TTOI / DE. (Higher is better.)
  • G = Goals
  • A = Assists
  • TPM = True +/-. Calculated as follows: G + A - DE.
  • Def% = Defensive Percentage. 1.000 = 100% = Error free. Calculated as follows: 1 - (DE / TTOI).

Archived