Some Oilers Are a Nightmare

Parture

4 minutes ago, Parture said:

As blunt as the +/- is it is still pretty effective keeping it in context and relative to the players on a team.

It certainly told the tape tonight.

For sure, that's the case this evening. Let's allow the at bats to grow a little before we pull the chute.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Well, yeah. You don't get a minus for GA during the PK.

His GA also looks good because by his penalty he had prevented a Saber offensive drive before Oiler touch the puck.

Conclusion: Sabers vs Oilers

2 mistakes by Nurse and 2 mistakes by Klefbom led to 4 goals against the Oilers which is hard to overcome. Oilers have to score 5 or more goals per night like in the first two games of the season to make up for Nurse and Klefbom.

Solution: acquire someone to replace Klefbom and Nurse. They will never get better.

Russell-Larsson

Sekera-Fayne

Davidson-Not Gryba(too many penalties; Nurse PIM last year was too high last year)

I should also note that Letestu is -2 on the season and is on pace to have the worst +/- on the team again around -20. This is unacceptable.

The entire 4th line needs to be replaced. This is no brainer stuff. Why can't management see this?

37 minutes ago, hf101 said:

heh,

Players get tired if they skate on days off. They need to heal and repair. Always take days off on days off. I've never understood why management works players so hard on days off then they have no energy for the actual game.

25 minutes ago, hf101 said:

McClellan telling it like it is...  I wonder if Pouliot will be in the Pressbox the next game?

Actually Pouliot made up for his mistake by scoring a goal. 

Nurse and Klefbom they gave up 4 goals. Pouliot has a +38 career, so despite all the stupid stuff he does, he makes up for it. Klefbom and Nurse don't make up for their mistakes. With them the pit just gets deeper and deeper.

It was all Klefbom's and Nurse's fault the Oilers lost.

Personally I have had it with Nurse (-19) and Klefbom (-31). You can't trade them soon enough.

But I know how the Oilers operate, like for Yak and others, they will hold onto these players till they have absolutely no value to trade for. Their best value for a trade is today!

21 minutes ago, Parture said:

Actually Pouliot made up for his mistake by scoring a goal. 

Nurse and Klefbom they gave up 4 goals. Pouliot has a +38 career, so despite all the stupid stuff he does, he makes up for it. Klefbom and Nurse don't make up for their mistakes. With them the pit just gets deeper and deeper.

It was all Klefbom's and Nurse's fault the Oilers lost.

Personally I have had it with Nurse (-19) and Klefbom (-31). You can't trade them soon enough.

But I know how the Oilers operate, like for Yak and others, they will hold onto these players till they have absolutely no value to trade for. Their best value for a trade is today!

Klefbom was actually a -1 tonight. When your team gives up 6 goals a -1 isn't that horrible, but the giveaways will kill ya.

Maybe McClellan has a plan to break up that defensive pairing?

53 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Klefbom was actually a -1 tonight. When your team gives up 6 goals a -1 isn't that horrible, but the giveaways will kill ya.

Maybe McClellan has a plan to break up that defensive pairing?

The worst anyone was tonight was Nurse at -2. Klefbom would have been positive if he didn't make those two mistakes that led to two goals against Oilers. That's how it should be viewed. I don't think Klef did ok considering 6 goals were scored against the Oilers and he only had -1 for the worst for anyone was only -1 or -2. Effectively you are saying anyone did pretty good with a -1 because you are assuming 6 goals against Oilers should cause some players to be -3 or -4 or worse. +/- balances out over the long-term when you can't talk about all the details so when talking about the long-term +/- is appropriate. In a single game a person could be unlucky being on the ice when a mistake was made by someone else on the team. On a game by game basis we have to view directly what caused the goals against the Oilers.

Directly watching what caused the 6 goals against the Oilers (aside from Talbot's mistake and the one goal that was not defendable) is what mattered. The 4 goals are due to Klef and Nurse alone!

We cannot make excuses for them. Accept reality they suck! If I was Chiarelli I would see this and already know this and have traded them this past summer.

Everything is as expected and on schedule. Nurse is -3 on his way to -13, and Letestu -2 on his way to -21 like last year.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/stats/regular-season/skaters/pm

It's like a competition who is going to have the worst +/- this is season? Will it be Nurse or Letestu?

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Oilers

I only have one thing to say about this game. In the 2nd period Klefbom was owned by Skinner then when Klefbom right after that tried to clear the puck it gave Skinner another great chance.

Klefbom scares. He should take some cues in how to play defense from Kris Russell

Game 5 - Oilers vs. Blues

Tyler Pitlick should not be on the Oilers. In the first period he missed an easy pass then recovered, but instead of clearing the zone, he turned the puck over to the Blues. Blues got a gorgeous shot on net which hit the crossbar. Pitlick should sit the rest of the game out.

Darnell Nurse in the 1st missed an easy pass while Oilers were pressing so the puck came out of the offensive zone. Nurse sucks so bad! Nurse seems so uncoordinated out there. Now we are in the second period and Nurse passes to the Bruins in our own zone which leads to a great shot attempt on Talbot. Every time Nurse touches the puck he does something wrong. He does not have good hockey sense. He scares me.

Andrej Sekera #2 didn't take his man which ultimately led to the Blues 1st goal. He's too slow.

Nurse leads the team with a -2 plus/minus in the first 5 games. He seems so clumsy out there. Too slow. He seems to want to just get the puck off his stick the first chance he gets without moving it a bit.

Archived