Pouliot and RNH are not Clicking, Nor are Draisaitl and Maroon

Parture

Since Draisaitl and Maroon are not clicking, and Pouliot and RNH are not clicking either, switch it up.

Milan Lucic (+120) - Connor McDavid - Jordan Eberle (-51)
Benoit Pouliot (+37) - Leon Draisaitl (-19) - Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrick Maroon - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (-32) - Zack Kassian
Anton Slepyshev - Anton Lander (-43) - Tyler Pitlick

Also, Letestu has 3 points and already has a negative +/- on his way to -21 like last year. His face off percentage is not that good so there is no reason to keep him anymore. Lander's face off percentage is excellent.

This way Puljujärvi can play and so can Slepyshev. Neither have to sit out.

6 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I agree.

And yet, the Oilers are 4-1 to start the season.

TMac's line blender will drive you crazy eventually though. Even when the lines are working, he tends to feel like he has to tinker

I think my suggestions will make the Oilers even better.

Though the only way to prevent that loss against Buffalo was if Nurse and Klefbom didn't play that night. Between them they gave up 4 goals against because they clumsily failed to clear the zone (still pisses me off when they don't clear the zone when it seems so easy to do). They were the sole reason for the Oilers loss.

What is a TMac line blender? Is that MacTavish? I was dizzy last season they changed the lines every game.

50 minutes ago, Parture said:

I think my suggestions will make the Oilers even better.

Though the only way to prevent that loss against Buffalo was if Nurse and Klefbom didn't play that night. Between them they gave up 4 goals against because they clumsily failed to clear the zone (still pisses me off when they don't clear the zone when it seems so easy to do). They were the sole reason for the Oilers loss.

What is a TMac line blender? Is that MacTavish? I was dizzy last season they changed the lines every game.

Todd Macl.

Koala.

We had a lot of names for todd when he was sharks coach.

8 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Todd Macl.

Koala.

We had a lot of names for todd when he was sharks coach.

I never understood why McLellan only played Yak & McD less than 1 game after they were both healed, because in the first 9 games of the season based on a goals + possession chart they were the best line in the NHL last year.

Remember the Conyak? I thought that was a big mistake. Now we will never know. I would have played Yak & McD together for the first 10 games of this season to see how they would do. But I am glad Yak is gone with his coveted -88.

If only they would let go of Letestu with his -21 we might kick into another gear since -21 is expensive, basically -1 every 4 games.

2 hours ago, Parture said:

I never understood why McLellan only played Yak & McD less than 1 game after they were both healed, because in the first 9 games of the season based on a goals + possession chart they were the best line in the NHL last year.

I didn't mind them together either, though there are probably a couple of things which led McLellan to his decision. For starters, Yakupov had requested a trade by this time, so maybe that would have felt like rewarding him. I dunno. The other is that McDavid and Eberle produced right away as well, so he went with the proven player over the erratic one that makes some of the greatest decisions ever, and who was pretty adamant that he would do whatever he felt like out there.

Also. The offsides. I've never seen a player with such poor awareness as to go offside as often asYak. Even the other night, while visiting, he was carrying the puck, and caused an offside when he simply stopped skating as hr approached the blue line, forcing his teammates to be early.

2 hours ago, Parture said:

Remember the Conyak? I thought that was a big mistake. Now we will never know. I would have played Yak & McD together for the first 10 games of this season to see how they would do. But I am glad Yak is gone with his coveted -88.

If only they would let go of Letestu with his -21 we might kick into another gear since -21 is expensive, basically -1 every 4 games.

It's fair to place Letestu's numbers in context. He started 75% of his shifts in the Oilers defensive zone. His 5 most common linemates were  Hendricks, Korpikoski, Sekera, Nurse and Yakupov. I dare any player to end the season as a plus, given those circumstances.

14 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

caused an offside when he simply stopped skating as hr approached the blue line, forcing his teammates to be early.

It's fair to place Letestu's numbers in context. He started 75% of his shifts in the Oilers defensive zone. His 5 most common linemates were  Hendricks, Korpikoski, Sekera, Nurse and Yakupov. I dare any player to end the season as a plus, given those circumstances.

Ya that was quite the brain fart by Yak. I remember that. I was thinking the same thing.

The only thing I would say about Letestu is there were other players on the team in his position who didn't have as bad a +/-. I would rather just be done with Letestu. He -1 every 4 games. That's too much! Now player should have numbers like that if they are going to make it through the playoffs.

Oilers vs Jets (Game 6) Win 3-0

The only thing I have to say about this game is Klefbom several times tried to clear the puck and failed to do so. Oilers should keep track of successful and unsuccessful clearing attempts.

I guess for now keep Pouliot and RNH together since they generated a point together with Kassian. Maroon and Draisaitl are still not clicking. What should be done about that?

Oilers are getting some consistency in playing on the same lines to develop more chemistry.

Lucic-McD-Ebs
Poul-RNH-Kass
Maro-Drais-Pulju
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

Klef-Lars
Russell-Sekera
Nurse-Gryba

On 2016-10-23 at 4:54 PM, Parture said:

Oilers vs Jets (Game 6) Win 3-0

The only thing I have to say about this game is Klefbom several times tried to clear the puck and failed to do so. Oilers should keep track of successful and unsuccessful clearing attempts.

Folks are tacking this sort of thing. Here are some numbers for the defense leading up to the Heritage Classic.

4Hrmbq5.jpg

He hasn't published anything for the Winnipeg game yet, but tracking from naturalstattrick.com shows that Klefbom was on the ice for 4 High Danger Chances For at evens, with zero against. So far through the season he is 24 For and 9 Against in this area. And he did that against Schiefle and Byfigulien, not the dregs. Mean stuff.

The Oilers compile almost 3 times as many High Danger Chances For with Klefbom on the ice than they surrender. That is a good defenseman.

In fact, let's look at the entire blue line:

High Dangers Chances Against Per 60 Minutes

Klefbom, 7.1

Russell, 8.3

Larsson, 8.8

Sekera, 11.0

Gryba, 14.7

Nurse, 14.8

We can compare him to players we know to be good defensively in their own end.

Aaron Ekblad, 9.9

Drew Doughty, 9.8

Victor Hedman, 9.1

If Klefbom is so bad, why do the Oilers give up fewer chances with him on the ice, and why do his numbers compare so favorably to defensemen we know to be excellent at protecting their end and limiting dangerous chances? Is it possible that you're judging him harshly, by looking for mistakes while perhaps not crediting him for the good things that he does?

There is a gulf between the player you describe and the one the team extended for so many years and who plays so minutes with strong numbers which back him up.

None of this changes the fact that the reason why Oilers lost against Buffalo was because Nurse made two mistakes that led directly to 2 goals against us, and Klefbom that night made two mistakes that led directly to t two goals against. And if Talbot made that easy save shot from center ice, Oilers would have won 2 to 1 instead of losing 2 to 6. Oilers would be 6-0 instead of 5-1.

3 hours ago, Parture said:

None of this changes the fact that the reason why Oilers lost against Buffalo was because Nurse made two mistakes that led directly to 2 goals against us, and Klefbom that night made two mistakes that led directly to t two goals against. And if Talbot made that easy save shot from center ice, Oilers would have won 2 to 1 instead of losing 2 to 6. Oilers would be 6-0 instead of 5-1.

So, then you ARE judging him harshly by looking for mistakes while not crediting him for the good things that he does. Gotcha. Then by all means, continue to shout into the wind.

3 hours ago, Parture said:

However much good they do they directly lost the game for the Oilers because they didn't clear the zone when they easily could have. Stupid mistakes are costly.

If I believed in God, I would ask him for patience............

Nobody is saying that mistakes aren't costly. What's being said is that you can't ONLY look at a player's mistakes if you hope to come away with a balanced and clear idea of what kind of player he is.

Nobody is looking only at a player's mistakes, but the player should know what directly cost a goal. If you don't appreciate this, then you are likely to repeat the same mistake again.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

If I believed in God, I would ask him for patience............

Nobody is saying that mistakes aren't costly. What's being said is that you can't ONLY look at a player's mistakes if you hope to come away with a balanced and clear idea of what kind of player he is.

Want me to ask for you?

This sounds an awful like a conversation that you and I have had a couple of times (concerning defensemen, no less) about how people have a certain concept in their minds about what a player is supposed to do and don't properly credit them for what they do do well.

Show me a player that doesn't make mistakes that lead to goals, and I'll show you a player that hasn't been playing any hockey lately. Yes, I don want to see players for my team reduce and learn from their mistakes, but that's not all there is to hockey. All aspects of a player's game have to be taken into consideration and given proper weight.

1 hour ago, ScottM said:

Want me to ask for you?

That would be such a favor.   ;)

1 hour ago, ScottM said:

This sounds an awful like a conversation that you and I have had a couple of times (concerning defensemen, no less) about how people have a certain concept in their minds about what a player is supposed to do and don't properly credit them for what they do do well.

Show me a player that doesn't make mistakes that lead to goals, and I'll show you a player that hasn't been playing any hockey lately. Yes, I don want to see players for my team reduce and learn from their mistakes, but that's not all there is to hockey. All aspects of a player's game have to be taken into consideration and given proper weight.

kmQeK.gif

Archived