Most overrated and misapplied stats

ScottM

45 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

All I know is if there's a missed shot stat, the Devils must lead the league every year.

You've known me for over a dozen years now, MD; long enough to know that numbers themselves don't really jazz me that much, but I'm very interested in the meaning they convey, and how they can be at odds with how we see the game. In this case, you're perception of the Devils is that they miss the net a lot. In fact, you can rest easy... Over the last 10 seasons, the Devils have the 26th fewest Missed Shots, at 8,255. The Kings leading the way with 10,652.

It happens to all of us. I thought that Nail Yakupov missed the net quite a lot, when he really doesn't miss all that much. That just how our memory can work so much of the time. Much of what we're often sure of can be built in mud. Life...

That's interesting. Maybe it just feels like they miss a lot because they don't usually score many goals. I still have nightmares of Fayne fanning on an empty net and Kovalchuk hitting the post in the 2012 Cup Final.:rage:

Archived