Halak is Reported to be Available for Trade

hf101

The three goalie system doesn't work for anyone I'm not sure why the Islanders continue to carry 3 goaltenders.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports that the Islanders “let the league know Jaroslav Halak is available” after his agent Allan Walsh tweeted about the team’s awkward three-goalie situation.

If true, I would imagine there'd be a SLEW of teams calling in on the Islanders, given the amount of goalie injuries and NHL level talent currently available.

LA comes to mind immediately, though I thought I read somewhere that right now, they are actually comfortable with Budaj till Quick gets back in about 2 months or so.

Still though, if available to them, wouldn't one think Halak > Budaj? I would think so...

Then we got Winnipeg who could finally use a stable presence in net. Hellebuyck seems ok, but just like the Jets' goalie situation in general the last few years, just not that consistent.

Would the Rangers try dealing with their hated cross city and division rival and try to pry Halak away to better backup Lundqvist when he isn't at his best?

How about Anaheim? Are they ok with sticking with Gibson right now, with not much to fall back on?

Toronto's woes with Frederik Andersen. Would they be tempted to have Halak try backing him up?

The Senators, with Hammond going down and Craig Anderson dealing with some very sad and unfortunate family problems....perhaps Halak can spell some relief for that team?

Maybe there are other fits too.

I never understood the 3 goalie system in Brooklyn either, but if the Isles are willing do deal, like I said, they will surely find other teams more than willing to listen.

And with the goalie desperation factor pretty high among some teams, maybe some would be willing to, shall we say, overpay a bit?

Isles could make out real well if they decide to deal....

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

The three goalie system doesn't work for anyone I'm not sure why the Islanders continue to carry 3 goaltenders.

Agreed, and I'm not sure why Jaroslav Halak doesn't get any respect in this league. The guy is a great goalie and nobody ever gives him the ball and lets him run with it.  :hocky:

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed, and I'm not sure why Jaroslav Halak doesn't get any respect in this league. The guy is a great goalie and nobody ever gives him the ball and lets him run with it.  :hocky:

Good to great goalie, yes.

But perhaps the part about giving him the ball...

While I still believe Halak can be useful to a number of teams, his injury history does taint his value just a bit.

I mean, give the guy "the ball" and have him run with it without a net, well, he is likely to hurt his back while carry that ball, no?

Or stub a toe, or twist an ankle, or contract lockjaw, a case of the hives, the heebee jeebies, cauliflower ear, loss of depth perception..................  :shifty:

I wouldn't touch Halak.   The reason he doesn't get much respect is that he's actually not that good . 

As bad as the Flyers' situation has been this year , I still wouldn't touch him .   He's okay .  But he's only okay .   

Los Angeles:  I don't even call the islanders . Budaj is putting up better numbers and it's a protracted but still temporary situation .  What do you do with Halak's $4.5M cap hit once Quick returns? 

Maybe Ottawa if you're trading Anderson for Halak.  But they're equally meh , so why bother ? 

Goaltending-wise,  the Maple Leafs could be tempted , but $9.5M in cap for two quite average goaltenders ? If I'm a Toronto fan , I'd rather they spend the money on defense . 

One of the goalies in Dallas for Halak could be interesting .   He's actually an upgrade over the crap they have there .  I can't imagine why you do this from the Isles side , though . 

Winnipeg needs to fire their coach .  They have the goalies.  They're weak on D and are disjointed up front .   I wouldn't jump for Halak . 

I just think Halak isn't a "doesn't get respect" situation.  I think he's actually ridiculously overrated . 

@ruxpin

See now, I think Halak IS actually better than you are giving him credit for.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think he is elite, nor do I think he is a goalie you build a team around (mostly due to the aforementioned injury history), and I DO think he is being paid more than he should.

However, when he has played (and I've watched quite a number of his games with the Blues and with the Islanders), he actually is pretty good. And his career numbers seem to indicate that as well.

Thing is, in almost every situation already mentioned (the ones I did and the ones you did), Halak BEST FITS IN as either a platoon guy, a back up who will play no more than about 25-30 games or so (at most!), or at the his very best, maybe in a 1A / 1B situation...until he breaks something anyways.

In LA, if I were the Kings and acquired Halak, I would NOT do away with Budaj just yet, but likely would have Halak and Budaj split time.

In Dallas, similar, whether it is Halak / LetFourIn (which BTW, Kari lived up his name in Minnesota last night...hahaha.. 4-0 loss to the Wild), or Halak / Niemi.

Over in Winnipeg, maybe have a Hellebuyck/Halak or Hutchinson/Halak situation...giving the younger goalies most of the starts, but have Halak ready as a backup that would play a bit more than your standard cap wearer on the bench...and of course, if Halak is brought in, one of the younger goalies would have to be sent back to the AHL and Ondrej Pavalec would have to go bye, bye.

Toronto....maybe a 1A / 1 B situation there with Andersen..again, probably till Halak breaks a nail...or maybe has a collision with a giant Toronto newspaper headline that he just did NOT see right in front of him before walking into it....

I mean, there are situations where Halak, who IMO, isn't terrible, and can be rather good when not wrapped in bandages, can spell relief for a team...though admittedly he will still represent a risk to any team that may acquire him, via health and that unsightly cap hit.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@ruxpin

See now, I think Halak IS actually better than you are giving him credit for.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think he is elite, nor do I think he is a goalie you build a team around (mostly due to the aforementioned injury history), and I DO think he is being paid more than he should.

However, when he has played (and I've watched quite a number of his games with the Blues and with the Islanders), he actually is pretty good. And his career numbers seem to indicate that as well.

Thing is, in almost every situation already mentioned (the ones I did and the ones you did), Halak BEST FITS IN as either a platoon guy, a back up who will play no more than about 25-30 games or so (at most!), or at the his very best, maybe in a 1A / 1B situation...until he breaks something anyways.

In LA, if I were the Kings and acquired Halak, I would NOT do away with Budaj just yet, but likely would have Halak and Budaj split time.

In Dallas, similar, whether it is Halak / LetFourIn (which BTW, Kari lived up his name in Minnesota last night...hahaha.. 4-0 loss to the Wild), or Halak / Niemi.

Over in Winnipeg, maybe have a Hellebuyck/Halak or Hutchinson/Halak situation...giving the younger goalies most of the starts, but have Halak ready as a backup that would play a bit more than your standard cap wearer on the bench...and of course, if Halak is brought in, one of the younger goalies would have to be sent back to the AHL and Ondrej Pavalec would have to go bye, bye.

Toronto....maybe a 1A / 1 B situation there with Andersen..again, probably till Halak breaks a nail...or maybe has a collision with a giant Toronto newspaper headline that he just did NOT see right in front of him before walking into it....

I mean, there are situations where Halak, who IMO, isn't terrible, and can be rather good when not wrapped in bandages, can spell relief for a team...though admittedly he will still represent a risk to any team that may acquire him, via health and that unsightly cap hit.

Yeah , as a platoon or 1A/B.  Exactly as you say . 

And then the cap and injury thing and the wheels fall off . I don't know that the teams that actually may need that slot filled want to use the cap there . 

Again cap/money ,  but Arizona could also be an interesting thought . 

I suspect you'll hate this .  I think i would .  Tampa has V and another kid .  Halak has only next year left under contract .  Would you send Bishop for Halak AND something and let V take the majority of the starts? 

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah , as a platoon or 1A/B.  Exactly as you say . 

And then the cap and injury thing and the wheels fall off . I don't know that the teams that actually may need that slot filled want to use the cap there . 

Again cap/money ,  but Arizona could also be an interesting thought

I suspect you'll hate this .  I think i would .  Tampa has V and another kid .  Halak has only next year left under contract .  Would you send Bishop for Halak AND something and let V take the majority of the starts? 

Arizona actually might be another temporary landing spot for Halak as well.

He and Domingue splitting time while Smith takes care of HIS hangnails.... lol.

As for the Lightning situation, IMO, there really wouldn't be a need for the Bolts to trade for Halak.

Sure, Bishop is on the final year of his contract and TB likely won't be able to keep him without moving a bunch of other players, but Steve Yzerman believes the Lightning can win THIS year....and Bishop gives them the best chance to do so, his slow start to the season put aside.

And he even indicated that taking another shot at the Cup with Bishop in the fold at the risk of losing him for nothing at season's end is worth the gamble.

As for Vasy...very good goalie, with still a bit of growing to do yet. As was shown by his last outing yesterday against the Devils.

I don't think the Bolts should remove Bishop, put all the pressure to win NOW on Vasileveskiy's shoulders, then try going into the playoffs thinking they have a real shot at winning it all. Don't think Vasy is quite THAT ready for that...and honestly, it would be foolish of Yzerman to take such a gamble if it isn't really warranted.

The next two goalies the Bolts have, Gudlevskis and Wilcox, are still not ready for NHL play time yet.

Gudlevskis, in fact, may be moving towards the 'bust' line judging from his progress in the minors.

As long as Bishop is healthy and ready to go, you ride him, while giving Vasy some important starts along the way, as far as you can.....biggest danger would be losing Bish at the end of season if you don't win.

I am comfortable with that.

Halak does NOT significantly raise the Bolts' chances to win even while giving Vasilevskiy the lion's share of the starts, and furthermore, I am not sure what the Islanders would have in the way of high ceiling players / prospects that would entice Yzerman to deal Bishop away for Halak.

The Isles, of course, would LOVE a deal like that...but for TB, I can't say it makes much sense.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Halak does NOT significantly raise the Bolts' chances

No, not at all.   Bishop is vastly better than Halak.  I thought Bishop had more than this year, so I was thinking strictly in terms of cap and someone to expose for expansion.   So it was with a "maybe V is ready" in mind and for Halak to be there in case.

Regardless of where Halak is traded (if he's traded), he's probably going to be an option for Las Vegas.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No, not at all.   Bishop is vastly better than Halak.  I thought Bishop had more than this year, so I was thinking strictly in terms of cap and someone to expose for expansion.   So it was with a "maybe V is ready" in mind and for Halak to be there in case.

Regardless of where Halak is traded (if he's traded), he's probably going to be an option for Las Vegas.

He'll be front row when the showgirls have the curtain raised on the strip. :shifty:

I was a bit surprised to see today that the Isles are apparently not receiving any interest in Halak. Even so, I still wonder if Ottawa might eventually make an inquiry. If Hammond ends up being out for only a short period of time, it might be a moot point, but if he's out for a longer stretch, I've got to think that we might be looking for a goalie. Depending on how things go with his wife, Anderson will likely have to leave the team again down the road, and while the future looks bright with O'Connor and Dreiger, the team wants to continue to develop them. Would they want to keep one of them in the NHL for the long term? I have my doubts.

20 minutes ago, ScottM said:

I was a bit surprised to see today that the Isles are apparently not receiving any interest in Halak. Even so, I still wonder if Ottawa might eventually make an inquiry. If Hammond ends up being out for only a short period of time, it might be a moot point, but if he's out for a longer stretch, I've got to think that we might be looking for a goalie. Depending on how things go with his wife, Anderson will likely have to leave the team again down the road, and while the future looks bright with O'Connor and Dreiger, the team wants to continue to develop them. Would they want to keep one of them in the NHL for the long term? I have my doubts.

Because he's really not that good vs.  his cap hit .   That said , the Sens could make sense .   

1 minute ago, ScottM said:

That's true, but goalies are dropping like flies right now, it seems.

I think if the Isles really want to move him that they'll find a taker.   You're right.  They're dropping like flies, and he's better than other options out there.

On 10/30/2016 at 11:33 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If he came to Toronto, he would be our #1 guy!!!  :blink[1]:

We're only a month into the season and I'm ready to turn the page on AndersOen and Enroth already! These two guys suck! We somehow ditched Bernier and Reimer and got a worse goaltending tandem! I'd throw darts at a dartboard full of names and pick anyone. Garrett Sparks please? I'd bring him back up here again. Can't get any worse...  :( 

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I meant Halak, but sure. Neuvirth can't be any worse than our current two goalies.  :biggrin:

Yeah, I knew you meant Halak.  I'm just playing armchair GM with a wish list!  :5726b7ddacc93_bluehockey:

Well, if the Islanders don't find a suitor for Jaroslav Halak, perhaps they will be angry with the Lightning for screwing up his trade value.

Halak was brought in to yesterday's game to "relieve" Thomas Greiss who had been hammered for 3 goals in the 1st period....but then he promptly gives up 3 goals within 5 minutes of play time in the 2nd.

I realize it isn't easy for a goalie to come in 'cold' and perform at peak, but Halak just did not look good at all.

Maybe it was just that one night, because the Isles as a team looked pretty disjointed while the Bolts were red hot (and probably suitably embarrassed by that Rangers game), but if I am a scout looking at Halak for a possible trade, I come away NOT impressed....

Archived