What Can Be Done About Draisaitl and Eberle?

Parture

Draisaitl had 0 shots on net when Oilers had 46 shots on net against Toronto. Draisaitl is not being utilized properly as 3rd line centerman (except for his face offs) and he has the worst +/- on the team which is not good. Therefore, place him to the right of McD since Eberle has a -1 on the best line while Lucic is +3 and McD is +6. If Eberle can't get positive on the best line, I think he should be traded. He has a career -52 second only to Yak. That's comical. Yak has the best +/- on the Blues this season. Before Eberle's career is over he will be -100. Eberle has never played well to the right of RNH either (they are too small together, get pushed around).

Lucic-McD-Drais

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maroon-Slepy/Caggiula-Pulju

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

p.s. I don't like Eberle's personality. He seems to think too highly of himself. That's how he comes across. A few months ago a radio talk show host was making fun of Eberle. For 15 minutes she went on and on as if she was Eberle, talking like Eberle does, about how great Eberle is. I would love to see Eberle traded. We could get a positive +/- player to replace him.

It's absolutely clear Eberle should not play to the right of McDavid. Eberle is totally dragging McDavid down, killing his productivity.

Eberle is terrible with McDavid (GF% at 66% in 100 minutes this season; last year he was 53%. Lucic is 83% this season; Maroon was 76% last season)
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1315&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

So either put Puljujärvi or Draisaitl to the right of McDavid.

I would rather have Maroon to the right of McDavid than Eberle.

Eberle has always been the problem.

4 hours ago, Parture said:

It's absolutely clear Eberle should not play to the right of McDavid. Eberle is totally dragging McDavid down, killing his productivity.

Eberle is terrible with McDavid (GF% at 66% in 100 minutes this season; last year he was 53%. Lucic is 83% this season; Maroon was 76% last season)
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1315&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

So either put Puljujärvi or Draisaitl to the right of McDavid.

I would rather have Maroon to the right of McDavid than Eberle.

Eberle has always been the problem.

This is what I was talking about yesterday, re: Draisaitl playing RW. I would try

Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl

Poo - RNH - Eberle

Maroon - Lander - Puljujarvi

Pitlick - Testube - Kassian

I'm not in love with Lander playing anything above 4th line. Other than a magical 20 points in 38 games playing with Taylor Hall under Todd Nelson, he's just never done it at the NHL level with the puck on his stick. If Caggiula is gets healthy soon and really is ready to play (he was outstanding in the preseason, with the puck and away from it) this makes life much easier for ChiaPete and McLellan.

It might not kill them to try Puljujarvi with McDavid for a little bit as well. Much was made of McDavid being shut down in Toronto, and he had no points, so it's a fair call. However, he made numerous plays where he took hits/bring rubbed out to give linemates odd-man chances, and they were pissed into the wind. Perhaps Puljujarvi is the type of player who can take advantage?

Argh... I ***HATE*** arguing to give more minutes to a raw rookie when the team has spent years doing so to no avail. This is the price they're paying for their colossal screw-up with Versteeg and the waiver wire.

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

This is what I was talking about yesterday, re: Draisaitl playing RW. I would try

Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl

Poo - RNH - Eberle

Maroon - Lander - Puljujarvi

Pitlick - Testube - Kassian

I'm not in love with Lander playing anything above 4th line. Other than a magical 20 points in 38 games playing with Taylor Hall under Todd Nelson, he's just never done it at the NHL level with the puck on his stick. If Caggiula is gets healthy soon and really is ready to play (he was outstanding in the preseason, with the puck and away from it) this makes life much easier for ChiaPete and McLellan.

It might not kill them to try Puljujarvi with McDavid for a little bit as well. Much was made of McDavid being shut down in Toronto, and he had no points, so it's a fair call. However, he made numerous plays where he took hits/bring rubbed out to give linemates odd-man chances, and they were pissed into the wind. Perhaps Puljujarvi is the type of player who can take advantage?

Argh... I ***HATE*** arguing to give more minutes to a raw rookie when the team has spent years doing so to no avail. This is the price they're paying for their colossal screw-up with Versteeg and the waiver wire.

Testube that's funny. I get your points. My issue is I have never seen Eberle and RNH play well together. I think it is because they are too small so they get pushed around a lot.

I have a theory. Whoever plays to the right of McD has to be fast like Yak was fast to keep up with McD. Yak & McD were great together first 9 games of the season last year then Yak turned into a dud whenever he played with McD after that like Ebs was also. Terrible GF%.

Maybe Puljujärvi is that quick guy McD needs and can get his GF% up over 70%. A player needs to move up the ice quickly with McD which Yak could do. Maybe Pulju is the person for that role. Give Draisaitl 10 games with McD and give Pulju 10 games with McD and see who plays better. Draisaitl might surprise since he is a good passer.

I would be afraid of putting Lander on a line without Letestu because Lander had 1 point in 50 games last season. It seems Lander & Letestu on the 4th line are learning to play within their skill set and limited minutes. So I would change your lines to...

Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl or Pulju

Poo - RNH - Pulju or Drais

Maroon - Caggiula - Versteeg replacement

Lander - Testube - Pitlick

You admit Lander should not be on the 3rd line. I agree. Lander/Letestu/Pitlick have good chemistry I think.

Acquire someone to replace Versteeg. Lots of teams would love to acquire Eberle.

Eberle does the least damage though with Lucic & McD. Keep looking for that trade to  get rid of Eberle. If Eberle was on any other line his stats would be even worse.

Against NYR Pouliot could have easily cleared the puck but failed to do so, which caused a penalty against the Oilers because of the pressure by not getting the puck out.

It's all about getting the puck out of our zone. Mistake after mistake not clearing the zone. Why do they never learn the importance of this? Seems so simple.

It's easy to see how NYR got their first goal. RNH screwed up and didn't clear the zone; he passed to the wrong guy. Unbelievable stupid mistakes.

It's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Now you can see why RNH has a career -32. He gets a goal and gives it right back.

I hate to complain but McD passed to Eberle where Eberle should have been but was too slow to get to the puck. Yak or Pulju would have gotten it and put it in the net.

McDavid got a goal and Eberle prevented it by standing in the goalie crease. God forbid that Eberle should have a positive +/-.

/chuckle...

It's RNH's 2nd Giveaway of the season. I wouldn't want to refer to it as a continual thing. I don't like it either, but hockey is a game of mistakes; they're constantly being made.

I was thinking the 3rd goal by the Oilers against NYR occurred because we won the face off. Draisaitl wasn't in this play, but Draisaitl is too good at face offs to put him to the right of McD. The best two at face offs are Lander and Draisaitl.

I guess keep everything as is and hope Draisaitl and Ebs can start producing. Oiler are winning so keep it the same.

Ebs was -4 on the night, -5 this season, career -56 (getting to -100 faster than I expected). Klefbom -2, career -33.

Ebs drags McD down.

The cause of the 4 goals in this order are because of: 1) RNH, 2) Klefbom, 3) Letestu, 4) Benning.

The solution is simple. Replace Benning with Gryba and Klefbom with Davidson. Letestu at -21 last season should never be on the ice ever. And since Eberle is useless with his terrible GF% with McD change him with Pulju.

Lucic-McD-Pulju

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maroon-Drais-Ebs

Lander-Cagg-Pitlick

Davidson-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Nurse-Gryba

Trade Klefbom, Eberle and Klefbom. When they are gone things will get better.

Never separate Lucic and McD, for Lucic has a GF% of 83% through the roof with McD. Eberle was on the ice for all 5 goals scored against the Oilers. Eberle is a nightmare with a terrible GF% with McD. Eberle is now at a career of -56 rivaled only by Yakupov. Draisaitl is getting no shots on net so put him with Pouliot and RNH. They do well together.

Lucic-McD-Pulju

Poul-RNH-Drais

Maroon-Lander-Kassian

Pitlick-Letestu-Ebs

Less ice time for Ebs the better. He has the worst +/- on the team. Ebs is a nightmare. Ebs even prevented a beautiful goal by McD. Klef is also a nightmare. If you watch the replays you will see he was integral in all 3 games the Oilers lost. Benning also contributed to Oilers' loss last game.

Davidson-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Nurse-Gryba

I am going to be using stronger words now. I HATE EBERLE.

Archived