Garth Snow nearing the end of his ten-year?

hf101

Someone has to go.  Halak, is basically asking for a trade, and now Capuano is now pointing fingers at Snow.  It seems like this one will blow up soon and the change that needs to be made is getting rid of Snow.

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

Someone has to go.  Halak, is basically asking for a trade, and now Capuano is now pointing fingers at Snow.  It seems like this one will blow up soon and the change that needs to be made is getting rid of Snow.

Good for him.  He might not have a job long but he told it like it is. 

41 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What they really should be concerned about is that their uniforms are god-awful ugly.   Worse than the Flyers 50th anniversary sweaters.  Who knew that was possible?

I thought they just decided to wear their practice jerseys last night so they could save on laundry expenses. $$

If I recall correctly, Garth Snow has done some pretty strange things from his GM position with this team.

Some very puzzling to downright ridiculous moves but the team has found some moderate success in recent seasons DESPITE him.

It's not like the Islanders don't have or haven't had good talent go through their clubhouse in recent seasons either.

I think it IS time for a change at the GM level, because a guy like John Tavares, as good as he is, is wasting away precious prime years on a team that currently doesn't have enough personnel built around him properly.

And the Isles simply can't afford for Garth Snow to "accidentally" run into some good moves.

No, I think the Islanders need a fresh faced GM...a guy, who hasn't necessarily GM'ed before, but someone who perhaps understands the dynamics and ratios of star players to grinders and the proper chemistry needed to keep a winning franchise operating beyond just a season or two.

Also, someone who isn't afraid to take calculated chances and rid themselves of good, but somewhat disgruntled players (looking at you, Hamonic), in order to preserve a more harmonious clubhouse.

Maybe Coach Capuano doesn't survive the current trials and tribulations either, but from what I can tell, the problem isn't at the bench level, but more at the FO level.

Of course, if Snow has managed to survive this long given what has gone on with this franchise, maybe the issue goes even higher to ownership.......and the owner himself can't be fired....... :huh:

Addendum to my previous post ( @WordsOfWisdom ) .......there's that word again!

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/New_York_Islanders/1

I didn't look through the whole list to look at the trades made during Snow's tenure (2006-present), but just looking at page 1 and 2, with the exception of acquiring Johnny Boychuk, Nick Leddy, and Brock Nelson, nothing here really screams "GREAT TRADE, GARTH!"

The Cal Clutterbuck for Nino Niedderreiter trade can be considered a minor "win" too, though hardly franchise changing.

But even the acquisition of Boychuk and Leddy, while good, required what some might consider an overpay in prospects and picks.

Keeping in mind that this list doesn't even take into account players signed as FA, contracts given out to existing players, or players allowed to leave as UFA's.

To me, this just speaks of very mediocre work from the GM position and when presented the chance to build on some success, Snow has not really taken full advantage of it.

Hence, why I think the team's problems lie with the FO and/or ownership and NOT the head coach or his staff.

36 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

But even the acquisition of Boychuk and Leddy, while good, required what some might consider an overpay in prospects and picks.

In Garth's defense -- and it's only a tepid defense -- he's dealing with two buildings where no one wants to play.  First, the Nassau Coliseum.   Getting free agents to come there was quite difficult.   And Barclay Center, while in much more hip Brooklyn, is a ridiculous arena.   So, you have to overpay a bit just to balance out more attractive options.

But that doesn't change the fact his trades have been "meh" at best, that he's again operating a 3-goalie carousel, and has not done a particularly good job of drafting.

I agree.  Time for a change there. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I agree.  Time for a change there. 

I disagree with changing the GM in Brooklyn. Or in Boston, for that matter.

Unless one of them goes to Pittsburgh.

All seriousness aside, I thought that Snow had them going in the right direction. Then this offseason happened. Admittedly, I didn't think Ladd would be as atrocious as he's been over the first 10 games, but I don't know what he's doing up there other than treading water.

And in his defense, you can't forget how cheap Wong was as an owner.

Just now, AJgoal said:

Completely agree.  There's definitely that.   And that was a horrible combination with the detriment that was the Nassau Coliseum.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2016 at 0:26 PM, AJgoal said:

I disagree with changing the GM in Brooklyn. Or in Boston, for that matter.

Unless one of them goes to Pittsburgh.

All seriousness aside, I thought that Snow had them going in the right direction. Then this offseason happened. Admittedly, I didn't think Ladd would be as atrocious as he's been over the first 10 games, but I don't know what he's doing up there other than treading water.

Its hilarious that I have magazines circa 2002-03 stating "After years of struggling under frugal ownership, the Isles have been taken over by the truly deep pocketed Charles Wang" and stating it was going to be going up from here.

The man knew nothing about hockey. Its was all a play for a larger business construction he wanted to pursue

Also, the previous GM lasted, what? A month? When he realized as GM, he had no decision making power and had to pass his idea to be voted on by committee by the board.

Archived