Travis Hamonic -7

Parture

Good thing Oilers didn't acquire Travis Hamonic at -7 in 11 games this season, the worst record on the Islanders. I knew this last year, he was -5, the 4th worst on the Islanders.

What is it with the Oilers not appreciating +/-? We need to get rid of Eberle with his -5 this season, worst on the team, and career -56.

Who do you think will get to -100 first? Yak or Eberle?

@Parture

Plus/Minus is a part of the equation but I think that you are placing too much emphasis upon it.

Take a player such as Eberle who has a poor five on five record but who can excel on the power play and turn a game around in that way, I would rather have a player such as that than a bland generic forward any day.

To me, if a player has a weakness, be it five on five or the penalty kill it is up to the coach to use him properly. Do not put him out for defensive zone faceoffs, play to his strengths with matchups, things such as that. Scotty Bowman many times said that as a coach his primary job was to get the right players on the ice at the right time against the right players.

So if you have an Eberle you give him offensive zone faceoffs, you try to get him out against other teams middle six guys, avoid the other teams top scorers and just as important try not to get him out against other clubs checking lines.

Allow him to be a central part while on the ice. Allow a Letestu line the defensive zone time and the penalty kill, let Eberle play to his strength. He will likely always be a minus player simply because of his style but that does not make him a bad player. If you don't want him as a Wings fan I would welcome him with open arms.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

So if you have an Eberle you give him offensive zone faceoffs, you try to get him out against other teams middle six guys, avoid the other teams top scorers and just as important try not to get him out against other clubs checking lines.

Allow him to be a central part while on the ice. Allow a Letestu line the defensive zone time and the penalty kill, let Eberle play to his strength. He will likely always be a minus player simply because of his style but that does not make him a bad player. If you don't want him as a Wings fan I would welcome him with open arms.

And that's exactly what Todd McLellan has done: Eberle has the 2nd highest zone starts on the team.

I don't think that Jordan Eberle is a perfect player, but then I don't demand that from them. Eberle has defensive deficiencies, so as you rightly point out, it's up to the coaches to use him in a way which puts him in the best position to succeed. In the meantime, he does something that's very difficult to do at the NHL level: he produces points, and consistent, too.

He remains an important piece of their puzzle going forward.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@Parture

Plus/Minus is a part of the equation but I think that you are placing too much emphasis upon it.

Take a player such as Eberle who has a poor five on five record but who can excel on the power play and turn a game around in that way, I would rather have a player such as that than a bland generic forward any day.

To me, if a player has a weakness, be it five on five or the penalty kill it is up to the coach to use him properly. Do not put him out for defensive zone faceoffs, play to his strengths with matchups, things such as that. Scotty Bowman many times said that as a coach his primary job was to get the right players on the ice at the right time against the right players.

What will you give me for Eberle? He is -57 now. It just gets worse and worse. Other plays have to make up his deficit. I would rather just have someone instead of Eberle who can produce a positive+/- in his situation.

It doesn't matter if a player gets a 100 points a year. If his +/- is -120 that doesn't give me any comfort. it shows that player is not being used in a net positive way. Reduce his minutes, change the lines, whatever but don't allow -20 to occur every year.

Archived