News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
james laverance

Ice-Hockey in Wooster, Ohio 1872

Well it seems as though indoor Ice-Hockey was played in the States earlier than I thought...

In the first article it mentions that Shinny was played on skates at the Wooster skating rink in 1872 and in the second they talk about how Wooster will be having a Skating rink for the following season of 1871-1872.

Date:Thursday, February 22, 1872 

Newspaper: Wooster Republican pl_011112016_1457_52323_750.pdf

Date:Thursday, November 23, 1871

Newspaper: Wooster Republican pl_011112016_1406_48794_793.pdf

Edited by james laverance

@james laverance

Very nice, I live an hour West of there, there is still a rink in town, I always thought it was kind of a fluky thing that they have an ice skating rink in Wooster where I used to go and even played in a pick up league. Cool to know that Hockey has a rich history there, thank you.

No problem thanks for your feedback.

BTW...I managed to bloom up the following article 

Date: Thursday, January 26, 1871
Paper: New York Herald
Article Type: Newspaper Article

Screenshot_20161112-085224.png

• Like 1

I found a couple more reference's to indoor Ice-Hockey in the New York area.

The first dated Thursday, March 10, 1870 out of the New York World newspaper.

large.Screenshot_20161114-000133.png

The second being from Monday, January 30, 1871 out of the New York Heraldlarge.Screenshot_20161113-233959.png

I've managed to dig up this early clipping and results of Indoor Lacrosse played on Skates in New York from 1871 pre-dating the Montreal game by 4 years.
large.594333a6823e0_img(2).jpg
The Brooklyn Daily Eagle Brooklyn, New York  Friday, January 27, 1871