Mic drop, Ryan Miller with the save of the year

yave1964

Meant to post this earlier

With the Canucks losing 3-1 late Thursday night against the Wings Miller was on his way to the bench for an extra skater when the Wings grabbed the puck, Miller came flying back towards the net and dove like a centerfielder spearing a line drive stealing an empty netter away from Zetterberg. The game was at the Joe and it was such an amazing save that the crowd gave the enemy goalie a well deserved standing ovation. Save of the year, stop the voting right now.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Wow..... @Hockey Junkie you should be proud!

Miller is in a bad place now.  On  a bad team with two old Sedin's Twins and is he really there just to make  his wife happy?  I mean, he still has to fly to LA to see her as far as I know?  And off season they are together anyway.  I know the Canucks play the Kings often, at least way more than the Sabres.  The way Lehner and Nillson are playing i am convinced he is not ever coming back.  They are playing good enough where we are not getting blown out We are losing games in SO's and OT, like last night on a penalty shot in OT that we might be winning if Eichel were back in?  Maybe Miller holds down that game last night and we shut them out 1-0?  Not sure.  But Miller, as great as he was for us, was not a shutout goalie.  He usually gave up one goal on his good nights and then shut the opponent down. I still think he will want to get out of there after this season though.  He might be a valuable trade chip to Vancouver even before that for a team that needs a veteran presence in goal.  To me the Blues were stupid to give up on him so fast.  It was not his fault they lost that series. 

@Hockey Junkie

Miller had his day, but like the Sedin boys he has aged and his day is done, he is an aging goalie on an aging team, a used to be whose best days are clearly behind him. The truth is he is a perfect fit for the Canucks and the Sedin boys, a guy who was good bordering upon great in his day who never quite reached the top and is now on the steep slope on the other side of the mountain and who will be gone within a couple of years and will be remembered, if at all as an underachiever who never lived up to the hype. One of my kids dated Lindy Ruff's niece for a short time tho and I did manage to get an autographed Ryan Miller Jersey out of it, which is something I guess.

Killer save tho. Gotta love it.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Hockey Junkie

Miller had his day, but like the Sedin boys he has aged and his day is done, he is an aging goalie on an aging team, a used to be whose best days are clearly behind him. The truth is he is a perfect fit for the Canucks and the Sedin boys, a guy who was good bordering upon great in his day who never quite reached the top and is now on the steep slope on the other side of the mountain and who will be gone within a couple of years and will be remembered, if at all as an underachiever who never lived up to the hype. One of my kids dated Lindy Ruff's niece for a short time tho and I did manage to get an autographed Ryan Miller Jersey out of it, which is something I guess.

Killer save tho. Gotta love it.

Must disagree  Goalies can play far beyond other position players.  Examples of both great and ordinary are Broduer and Gump Worsley who played until his early 50 I believe?  Maybe he went to the old world league for a bit at the end, I cannot remember?

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Must disagree  Goalies can play far beyond other position players.  Examples of both great and ordinary are Broduer and Gump Worsley who played until his early 50 I believe?  Maybe he went to the old world league for a bit at the end, I cannot remember?

That was not the Gumper, that was Jacques Plante who played forever including time in the WHA.

It is a different game now then it was back then. When Plante went to the WHA the NHL had recently expanded from 6 to 17 teams and there were an additional 10 teams in the WHA so there was literally a 450 percent higher need for goalies than just a few years previously.

The game today is faster than it has ever been, you lose a hair of a fraction of your reflexes and you see a dramatic drop in your stats. Miller is barely holding off Markstrom in net, and Markstrom has went from prospect to suspect to a bad team goalie over the past five years.

Miller will be gone within two years. Three tops.He was good and not great at his best and has lost ten percent or more of his skill. He is not even average, he is below average at this point and you don't climb back the mountain once you have started the slide down. Age and time get us all.

• 6 months later...
On 11/12/2016 at 6:57 AM, yave1964 said:

Meant to post this earlier

With the Canucks losing 3-1 late Thursday night against the Wings Miller was on his way to the bench for an extra skater when the Wings grabbed the puck, Miller came flying back towards the net and dove like a centerfielder spearing a line drive stealing an empty netter away from Zetterberg. The game was at the Joe and it was such an amazing save that the crowd gave the enemy goalie a well deserved standing ovation. Save of the year, stop the voting right now.

:PostAward4::) 

I dig it when fans do stuff like that. Great hockey = great hockey 

regardless of our tribal divisions. Reminds me when Bruin fans 

applauded Ron Tugnutt for his 70-save night in Boston way back. 

I actually didn't see this game until circa seven years ago. But I still remember 

reading the box score in the Orange County Register many moons ago and

double-taking. :joe: :hyper:

Archived