Why are Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan so Dumb?

Parture

A quick cursory look at GF% combination of players reveals easily what the lines should be, but McLellan goes half cocked mixing things up in all kinds of bizarre combinations the minute someone doesn't produce. That's retarded!

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1535&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

Pouliot has a good GF% with RNH and Kassian, and Kassian has a good GF% with RNH so this line is a solid. Yet McLellan recently put Kassian on a different line. What gives?

Next, Lucic has a better GF% with McD than Maroon has so why is Maroon playing with McD? Makes no sense.

Jordan Eberle has a lousy GF% with everyone so why is he on the team? He has the worst +/- on the team too at -6. It doesn't matter who Eberle plays with his +/- and GF% sucks with that player.

Draisaitl has been totally neutralized and at -6 because he was stuck with Lucic and that's like two bulls in a china shop. They have a lousy GF% together.

Lander, Letestu and Pitlick work really well together and it shows in their GF% combinations, yet McLellan broke them up too. McLellan is a one man wrecking machine.

Puljujärvi and Maroon and Draisaitl in all their line combinations are terrific together and it shows in their GF%. Without this Draisaitl falls apart as shown by his -6 worst on the team when he was broken apart from Maroon and Pulju.

Todd McLellan is an idiot!

All the Oilers need to do is stop the injuries, pay me a small consulting fee, and trade Eberle for someone who has a decent +/- to the right of McD.

Lucic-McD-New Guy

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maroon-Drais-Pulju

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

Klefbom-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Nurse-Davidson

1 hour ago, Parture said:

A quick cursory look at GF% combination of players reveals easily what the lines should be, but McLellan goes half cocked mixing things up in all kinds of bizarre combinations the minute someone doesn't produce. That's retarded!

I agree that coaches sometimes tinker too much. Lines need to develop chemistry, and that isn't possible when coaches are playing musical chairs with players on different lines. 

Yet McLellan recently put Kassian on a different line. What gives?

Sometimes a coach will move a successful player to a struggling line in an effort to jump start a bad line, or just to spread scoring around. 

All the Oilers need to do is stop the injuries

Impossible. Random chance.

pay me a small consulting fee

I imagine you'd get an enormous consulting fee if you worked for the Oilers. :)

trade Eberle for someone who has a decent +/- to the right of McD.

If Eberle sucks, who is going to want him? You can't trade a player that sucks for a great player. Teams are almost always stuck with bad players when they have bad players. Best you can do is sit him in the press box and dress someone else.  :ok: 

If Oilers were to do one thing, it should be to trade Eberle and be willing to accept someone who produces less points, but his +/- will be better.

By moving Kassian to another line destroys the Pouliot and RNH line. It's a package deal.

@Parture

GF% is A yardstick, but not necessarily THE yardstick. When having these discussions, it's important to remember what statistics are; what they mean. ALL statistics are a non-specific distillation of the much more sophisticated realities they represent, and we can't use those numbers to turn around and peg a specific value to player contribution. When it comes to determining something like which lines to put together, I think the best approach is one which looks at the question from as many angles as possible.

We could ask people which of two men is bigger. One person could say that man #1 is bigger because he's taller. Another person could say that #2 is bigger because he's heavier. Yet another person could point back at man #1 and say that he's biggest because he's wider around the middle (AKA fat). You could give any of those answers, and with respect to which aspect you're speaking of, you'd be correct. The problem, of course, is that you could be incorrect about the others. For my part, I've always favored an approach which attempts to answer big questions by breaking them down into a number of smaller questions.

So, we could start by determining that lines should be set by GF%, convinced that it's the correct course of action. However, a reasonable person would be forced to ask questions.

-Do we have enough of a sample size to say with confidence that the numbers have meaning?

-Do the numbers match up with what our eyes are telling us?

-If not, then why not?

-Is it our eyes or a shortcoming with the stats?

-What's been his role on the team?

-Has he faced tougher or easier competition?

-Has he had easier or more difficult zone starts?

-How was he with and without the players who would now be his linemates?

-Do their skills compliment each other?

-Will this leave our other lines unbalanced?

And so on and so on. There's a lot of questions we could ask, and the more questions we ask which are relevant, the closer we get to a better answer. Asking one of them only gets us one step closer to the answer.

I couldn't disagree more since what you are in effect proposing is putting together players with a worse GF% but you give no justification for doing so at least not in a discernible specific way. Vague talk is not really helpful. All your questions are really summed up in the results which is GF%. We need to be humble and appreciate we are not smarter than the +/- and GF%. If McLellan is humble he would not break up Pouliot-RNH-Kass nor Maroon-Drais-Pulju, but by doing so, McLellan has caused Draisaitl's +/- to collapse to the worst player on the team. Eberle plays badly with everyone. He is irredeemable. Pulju is 100% in 80 minutes with Maroon. The problem is if you put Pulju with McD and Maroon you leave Draisaitl barren. So Lucic should be with McD and Maroon with should be with Draisaitl and Pulju. All this is already the tale of the tape in GF% and +/-. I can't emphasize enough we are not smarter than +/- and GF%. For example, you might be convinced Maroon should be with McD and Eberle, but the data shows that is not the case at all.

36 minutes ago, Parture said:

I couldn't disagree more since what you are in effect proposing is putting together players with a worse GF% but you give no justification for doing so at least not in a discernible specific way. Vague talk is not really helpful. All your questions are really summed up in the results which is GF%. We need to be humble and appreciate we are not smarter than the +/- and GF%. If McLellan is humble he would not break up Pouliot-RNH-Kass nor Maroon-Drais-Pulju, but by doing so, McLellan has caused Draisaitl's +/- to collapse to the worst player on the team. Eberle plays badly with everyone. He is irredeemable. Pulju is 100% in 80 minutes with Maroon. The problem is if you put Pulju with McD and Maroon you leave Draisaitl barren. So Lucic should be with McD and Maroon with should be with Draisaitl and Pulju. All this is already the tale of the tape in GF% and +/-. I can't emphasize enough we are not smarter than +/- and GF%. For example, you might be convinced Maroon should be with McD and Eberle, but the data shows that is not the case at all.

I didn't make ANY player combinations, so I really have no idea what you're talking about there. How can I justify that which I didn't do?

The questions I ask seek to put stats into context, and context is everything, particularly when you place SO much weight into a single stat or two. If you're to place a strong emphasis on a number, and make roster/lineup decision based on that, it MUST be telling you an accurate story. The single worst thing the statistician can do is simply assume that his numbers are gospel, because he loses all objectivity from that point on. GF% and Corsi%, for example, have a strong tendency to be tied close together. Early into the season the sample size is so small that and it's not always easy to tell if the numbers tell the story or if there are distortions there. GF%, at this stage, can be unsustainably higher or lower than the player's CorsiFor% indicates it ought to be, and it's difficult to trust them to a great extent.

I get it. You don't like Eberle.

The Oilers are winning games and are 2nd overall in the West.

I wholeheartedly hated TMac's Line blender when he was the Sharks head coach. But the oilers are winning Hockey games right now. Some of the negativity of your posts needs to syphon into a bowl somewhere so you can realize they are winning Hockey games at the moment and not still bottom feeding.

Yes it could all change and they could collapse. But your posts seem to have an "inevitable" feel to them that tells me you are not enjoying seeing your team win and I am picturing a Mushroom cloud. Cmon man! Take a minute and enjoy it.

55 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I didn't make ANY player combinations, so I really have no idea what you're talking about there. How can I justify that which I didn't do?

The questions I ask seek to put stats into context, and context is everything, particularly when you place SO much weight into a single stat or two. If you're to place a strong emphasis on a number, and make roster/lineup decision based on that, it MUST be telling you an accurate story. The single worst thing the statistician can do is simply assume that his numbers are gospel, because he loses all objectivity from that point on. GF% and Corsi%, for example, have a strong tendency to be tied close together. Early into the season the sample size is so small that and it's not always easy to tell if the numbers tell the story or if there are distortions there. GF%, at this stage, can be unsustainably higher or lower than the player's CorsiFor% indicates it ought to be, and it's difficult to trust them to a great extent.

I get it. You don't like Eberle.

The problem is you don't place enough weight on the two most important stats which are GF% per player pairing and +/-. You suggest they don't tell an accurate story, but they do. You haven't proposed any specific reasons to show otherwise. Corsi is not that important. GF% and +/- are essential. Since you have given no good reason to match up players with worse GF% then don't go down that road.

54 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The Oilers are winning games and are 2nd overall in the West.

I wholeheartedly hated TMac's Line blender when he was the Sharks head coach. But the oilers are winning Hockey games right now. Some of the negativity of your posts needs to syphon into a bowl somewhere so you can realize they are winning Hockey games at the moment and not still bottom feeding.

Yes it could all change and they could collapse. But your posts seem to have an "inevitable" feel to them that tells me you are not enjoying seeing your team win and I am picturing a Mushroom cloud. Cmon man! Take a minute and enjoy it.

Rephrase that. Oilers were  winning games, but no longer. This is not positive no matter how hard you try to spin it. You can't enjoy seeing your team win if they are not winning. You may enjoy losing but I don't. To me it is a negative state of mind to delude yourself which can only do you harm in the end.

All McLellan and Chiarelli need to do is keep the lines like they were at the beginning of the season (stop flipping lines, I'm getting dizzy), while at the same time trade Eberle. Eberle will never correct his non-back checking. It shows in his GF% and +/-. He is now at -56, competing with Yak to get to -100. It's funny how Ebs never gets punished for this. Just today in the Sun, McLellan said he will probably keep Ebs on the top line and gave some stupid reason for doing so. Eberle should be benched. I can't remember what game it was but Oilers were scored on 5 times and each time Eberle was on the ice. As a player your main goal is not to be on the ice when Eberle is because bad things are bound to happen when someone is that selfish a player.

Klefbom lost at least 4 games because he doesn't clear the puck. Nurse lost at least 2 games because he doesn't clear the puck. That's reality. It's better to accept reality. Oilers were clearing pucks but all of a sudden decided they can be cute with their passes out of the zone which inevitably caused turnovers. That's how it almost always happens.

The second person to trade is Klefbom. He is never going to get his act together and it shows in his +/- and GF%.

I would trade Eberle and Klefbom in a package deal to get a good positive +/- right winger to replace Eberle. Davidson can take Klefbom's spot.

Oilers will never make the playoffs as long as Eberle and Klefbom are on the team.

Don't get me wrong, Draisaitl and RNH have close to the worst +/- on the team as well, but you have to starting cutting out the weeds somewhere, and that starts with Ebs and Klefbom.

At least we all agree McLellan is one man wrecking ball machine smashing all the line to hell so you can't tell whether you are coming or going. If McLellan would have just left the lines as they were things would have been ok. Scoring is not everything. The important thing is the lines were playing good defense, except for those games where Klefbom and Nurse refused to clear the puck from the zone, preferring to pass it to the opposing team, and Eberle was on principle unwilling to backcheck anyone. Eberle is never going to change. He has to be traded. Klefbom is next on the chopping block.

If Chiarelli and McLellan can't see Eberle is the center of all problems what good are they as general manager and coach? This is hockey 101: GET RID OF THE WORST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

40 minutes ago, Parture said:

If Chiarelli and McLellan can't see Eberle is the center of all problems what good are they as general manager and coach? This is hockey 101: GET RID OF THE WORST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

If players didn't have guaranteed contracts for 10+ years, it would be easy to get rid of players that suck. GM's do this to themselves. They sign every player (good, bad, proven, unproven) to ridiculously long contracts. Whatever the CBA allows, they will bump up against the maximum term length and then find ways to circumvent the CBA and go longer. 

I don't know what Eberle's contract situation is because I don't follow the Oilers, but if he can't be traded he can only be benched. You can't get rid of crap players any more. :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

59 minutes ago, Parture said:

I can't remember what game it was but Oilers were scored on 5 times and each time Eberle was on the ice.

Like a boss. :)

It shows in his GF% and +/-. He is now at -56, competing with Yak to get to -100.

He would be an excellent golfer!  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

For interest sake (and shameless self-promotion) you should check out my thread on Defensive Errors in the Leafs forum. A defensive error is assigned to the player(s) directly responsible for a goal being allowed. It's a sharper, more focused statistic than +/-.  +/- is still okay, but defensive errors is better. Have a look. :5726b5f6a27ed_anidea:  

I'm not budging from this...

I am not going to watch the Oilers again until Eberle is traded. Even though he is on the top line always, he is -6 this season in just 16 games (worst on the team!), and has a career of -57. His GF% is no good either no matter whom he is matched up with (see link below).

I'm tired of watching Eberle game after game skate back lazily and not backcheck. He's selfish. It ends up being a goal against the Oilers. He gets all the glory with all his points, but players resent him for it. He's bad for morale. He doesn't get punished for it because he never gets demoted to a lower line. So other players do the same thing and expect no consequences. Consequently, Oilers get scored on.

Oilers won't make the playoffs if Eberle remains on the team even. The minute they are banged up and a few players are injured they fall apart. It will be another season of injuries. Injuries are avoidable.

Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan aren't helping either, matching up the wrong players together. For example, Chiarelli matched up Lucic with McD but they have a 37% GF%. McLellan is stupid! Kassian plays great with Pouliot and RNH (see his GF% with them), but McLellan moved Zack to another line.

McLellan needs to stop following his feelings, playing musical chairs with the lines, and pay attention to what players match up well according to their GF%. The setup Oilers had when they were the 2nd best team in the NHL in the first few games of the season should have been maintained. They shouldn't have changed things up when they went through a tough patch.

Lucic-McD-Ebs (Lucic and McD GF% together is excellent; trade Eberle, find someone to replace him)
Poul-RNH-Kass (this line works, excellent GF%)
Maroon-Drais-Pulju (this line works, decent GF%)
Lander-Letestu-Pitlick (this line works, surprisingly good GF% together)

Davidson-Larsson (Klefbom doesn't clear the puck, causing the Oilers to lose 4 games; he's a highly negative +/- player, so trade him after getting rid of Eberle)
Russell-Sekera (Sekera has trouble scoring; replace him with a heavy slap shot defenseman)
Nurse-Gryba (Nurse is still not clearing the puck enough which caused the Oilers to lose a few games)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1315&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

For interest sake (and shameless self-promotion) you should check out my thread on Defensive Errors in the Leafs forum. A defensive error is assigned to the player(s) directly responsible for a goal being allowed. It's a sharper, more focused statistic than +/-.  +/- is still okay, but defensive errors is better. Have a look.   

I like that defensive stat. What directly caused the goal. I PVR to see who was the cause of the goal. Give me the link. I would like to see what it is for Eberle, Klefbom and Nurse. The are the main culprits. All the games the Oilers lost were because of these players either not clearing the puck or not backchecking. Draisaitl has to be in there somewhere too because he is at -6 this season already.

The lines for the game against Anaheim are Draisaitl with Pouliot even though they are 33% GF% together the last two seasons which you can get worse than that. Funny. And Draisaitl with Kassian is 42%. So my expectation is the Pouliot-Draisaitl-Kassian line will be miserable against Anaheim. RNH is 67% with Kassian but Chiarelli broke them up. And RNH is 63% with Pouliot and that is broken up. I think McLellan and Chiarelli are Dumb and Dumber.

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick are 57% no matter the combination but McLellan broke that up since Pitlick is now with Lucic-RNH.

Lucic is horrible with Pitlick at 40% and produced nothing with RNH still at 0%.

2 hours ago, Parture said:

The problem is you don't place enough weight on the two most important stats which are GF% per player pairing and +/-. You suggest they don't tell an accurate story, but they do. You haven't proposed any specific reasons to show otherwise.

All this time waiting for an Oilers fan on this site, and this is what I get.......

I said that, due to the season only having just begun, sample sizes are small now, and we can't be POSITIVE that the stats are instructive yet. I do NOT suggest that they tell an inaccurate story, but that we don't have enough at bats for them to be reliable.

Additionally, I have, over and over and over again given "specific reasons" as to why. Sample size is a real thing.

Corsi is not that important. GF% and +/- are essential.

Actually, Corsi has the highest amount of predictive value of any of the current crop of stats. GF% is extremely important for winning hockey games (pythagorean win% shows us the relationship between goal differential and winning, after all), but CorsiFor% is about twice as reliable as a predictive tool as is GF%.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/10/4508094/what-statistics-are-meaningful-in-a-given-season-corsi-fenwick-PDO-hits-fights-blocked-shots

Since you have given no good reason to match up players with worse GF% then don't go down that road.

I didn't suggest any line combinations, let along give a good or bad reason why those players should or shouldn't match up with GF%.

30 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

All this time waiting for an Oilers fan on this site, and this is what I get.......

I said that, due to the season only having just begun, sample sizes are small now, and we can't be POSITIVE that the stats are instructive yet. I do NOT suggest that they tell an inaccurate story, but that we don't have enough at bats for them to be reliable.

Additionally, I have, over and over and over again given "specific reasons" as to why. Sample size is a real thing.

Actually, Corsi has the highest amount of predictive value of any of the current crop of stats. GF% is extremely important for winning hockey games (pythagorean win% shows us the relationship between goal differential and winning, after all), but CorsiFor% is about twice as reliable as a predictive tool as is GF%.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/10/4508094/what-statistics-are-meaningful-in-a-given-season-corsi-fenwick-PDO-hits-fights-blocked-shots

I didn't suggest any line combinations, let along give a good or bad reason why those players should or shouldn't match up with GF%.

That link says GF% has the highest win%.

Also I don't think that link takes into account GF% pairings that fit together to find the right lines. That you have to do manually.

You can take a look at previous season data. Don't assume there is not enough data. Draisaitl and Lucic will never match up. Pouliot, RNH and Kassian really do match up so why break them up? Maroon, Draisaitl and Puljujärvi really do match up. And it makes sense intuitively as well. You are way underestimating +/- and GF% and you have given no reason for doing so.

Corsi says we should have won the last game, but we lost. GF% finds players that do well together. That's what you want. Winning hockey games is what matters.

GF% is a greater encompassing number and so is +/-. They should be your go to stats and adjusted for extenuating circumstances. Not sure why you are fighting this, but the lines, accordingly, should be,

Lucic-McD-New Guy

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maroon-Drais-Pulju

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

Davidson-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Nurse-Gryba

Get rid of Kelfbom and Eberle.

1 minute ago, Parture said:

You can take a look at previous season data. Don't assume there is not enough data. Draisaitl and Lucic will never match up. Pouliot, RNH and Kassian really do match up so why break them up? Maroon, Draisaitl and Puljujärvi really do match up. And it makes sense intuitively as well. You are way underestimating +/- and GF% and you have given no reason for doing so.

I did give you the reason:

Goals For% is just goal differential expressed in a different way than usual. It's EXTREMELY important, and I already said so in this thread, where I mentioned its direct relationship with Win%. I differ with you in that I don't want to use GF% to fill out the lineup card because there are stats which have better predictive value.

1 minute ago, Parture said:

Corsi says we should have won the last game, but we lost. GF% finds players that do well together. That's what you want. Winning hockey games is what matters.

GF% is a greater encompassing number and so is +/-. They should be your go to stats and adjusted for extenuating circumstances. Not sure why you are fighting this, but the lines, accordingly, should be,

TLDR, you didn't read the article I posted, in which people have actually STUDIED the assumptions you're making, to see what has the greater predictive value. News flash: GF% is about half as predictive of the future as CorsiFor%. Corsi did not say the Oilers should have won the last game. Corsi says that, over time, teams that have the puck more, and outshoot/outchance the competition should win more often.

----

This is where I bow out. You ask for reasons, I give them, and you repeatedly say I don't give reasons. It's much nicer to dance with my wife.

52 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I did give you the reason:

Goals For% is just goal differential expressed in a different way than usual. It's EXTREMELY important, and I already said so in this thread, where I mentioned its direct relationship with Win%. I differ with you in that I don't want to use GF% to fill out the lineup card because there are stats which have better predictive value.

TLDR, you didn't read the article I posted, in which people have actually STUDIED the assumptions you're making, to see what has the greater predictive value. News flash: GF% is about half as predictive of the future as CorsiFor%. Corsi did not say the Oilers should have won the last game. Corsi says that, over time, teams that have the puck more, and outshoot/outchance the competition should win more often.

----

This is where I bow out. You ask for reasons, I give them, and you repeatedly say I don't give reasons. It's much nicer to dance with my wife.

Go ahead use CF%, it gives the same result as GF% more or less.

CF% has the best correlation to win%

McD is 53% with Ebs, 54% with Milan, and 59% with Maroon. Ebs is 54% with Maroon and 54% with Milan. Puljujärvi is 44% with Milan, 57% with Maroon, and 69% with McD. So the top line should be Maroon-McD-Pulju.

RNH is 52% with Pouliot and 50% with Kassian. Pouliot is 49% with Kassian. So the 2nd line should be Poul-RNH-Kassian.

Draisaitl is 51% with Maroon, 54% with Puljujärvi, and 49% with Milan. Eberle is 54% with Milan and 60% with Draisaitl. This is the 3rd line: Milan-Drais-Ebs.

The 4th line is worse than I thought. They are at 40% with each other.

Maroon-McD-Pulju
Poul-RNH-Kass
Lucic-Drais-Ebs

Trade Eberle because he ha the worst +/- on the team at -6 in 16 games.

13 hours ago, Parture said:

At least we all agree McLellan is one man wrecking ball machine smashing all the line to hell so you can't tell whether you are coming or going. If McLellan would have just left the lines as they were things would have been ok. Scoring is not everything. The important thing is the lines were playing good defense, except for those games where Klefbom and Nurse refused to clear the puck from the zone, preferring to pass it to the opposing team, and Eberle was on principle unwilling to backcheck anyone. Eberle is never going to change. He has to be traded. Klefbom is next on the chopping block.

8 hours ago, Parture said:

CF% has the best correlation to win%

McD is 53% with Ebs, 54% with Milan, and 59% with Maroon. Ebs is 54% with Maroon and 54% with Milan. Puljujärvi is 44% with Milan, 57% with Maroon, and 69% with McD. So the top line should be Maroon-McD-Pulju.

RNH is 52% with Pouliot and 50% with Kassian. Pouliot is 49% with Kassian. So the 2nd line should be Poul-RNH-Kassian.

Draisaitl is 51% with Maroon, 54% with Puljujärvi, and 49% with Milan. Eberle is 54% with Milan and 60% with Draisaitl. This is the 3rd line: Milan-Drais-Ebs.

The 4th line is worse than I thought. They are at 40% with each other.

Maroon-McD-Pulju
Poul-RNH-Kass
Lucic-Drais-Ebs

Trade Eberle because he ha the worst +/- on the team at -6 in 16 games.

It has exceptions and is still subject to analysis.

Weber has been Montreal's best player other than Price, and his CF% is not ideal.

19 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

It has exceptions and is still subject to analysis.

Weber has been Montreal's best player other than Price, and his CF% is not ideal.

How can a guy have the best +/- on the team and yet have a not so great CF%?

But his GF% is fantastic. How do you explain that? It seems GF% agrees with +/-, but CF% is on another planet all by itself.

I watched the Oilers play Anaheim and Oilers look like amateurs.

I'll make you a $1 bet the Oilers don't make the playoffs. Perhaps they should try going back to their lines at the beginning of the season and see if they can rekindle what they had.

Lucic-McD-Ebs

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maro-Drais-Pulju

Lander-Let-Pitlick

Klefbom-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Nurse-Gryba/Davidson

Archived