The Lines Should be Arranged Based on CF% Not GF%

Parture

Organize the lines based on GF%.

Lucic-McD-Pulju

Milan is great with everyone. 83% with McD and 71% with Ebs. The problem is Ebs is only 55% with McD. Eberle is 64% with Maroon. To the left with McD, Maroon is at 75% but that is not as good as 83%. I suspect anyone to the right of McD would do better than Eberle. I don't know why Eberle sucks so bad to the right of McD. To minimize the damage that Eberle causes, he should play with Maroon, but he should not play with McD. Eberle is only 33% with Draisaitl. Eberle is only 41% with RNH. There is no place for Eberle. Get rid of him. Pulju plays well with everyone and his speed is what McDavid needs to keep up. The problem is Oilers keep trying to make Eberle work and he doesn't work. He is -6 this season in just 12 games and his career is -57. That's absurd!

Maroon-RNH-Kassian

Test Maroon with RNH. Kassian is an amazing 60% with RNH. Do not break them up! They play well together for some reason. I think this combination works because you have two large players protecting and assisting a smaller player.

Poul-Drais-Slepyshev (trade Eberle)

Slepyshev is so far 100% with Draisaitl. Draisaitl has to play center because his face-off % is second only to Lander. Pouliot at his best is 50% with Drais, only 46% with RNH, 43% with Ebs, and 50% with Kassian. Draisaitl is 50% with Kassian.

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1308&withagainst=true&season=2015-17&sit=5v5

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:54 AM, Parture said:

Eberle is the problem. He drags everyone down.

Organize the lines based on GF%. Eberle is the problem, he's too small and gets pushed around too much. He is 53% this season and last season with McD which is too low. Puljujärvi in Eberle's place would do much better. Trade Eberle.

Maroon-McD-Eberle

Milan is 71% with McD and 55% with Ebs. Eberle is 62% with Maroon the past two seasons. To the left of McD, Maroon is at 73% better than Milan is. To minimize the damage Eberle causes, he needs to be with Maroon. Eberle is only 28% with Draisaitl the past two seasons and 42% with RNH. As poorly as Eberle is with McD, Ebs is much worse with everyone else. Eberle is -6 this season in 12 games and his career is -57.

Pouliot-RNH-Kassian

Pouliot is 71% with RNH this season and 57% with Kassian. Kassian is 67% with RNH the past two seasons, better than Draisaitl is with RNH. Pouliot is only 33% with Draisaitl.

Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi

Leon is 67% with Puljujärvi. Lucic is only 33% with Draisaitl. Draisaitl is only 50% with Maroon. Lucic and Draisaitl need more time together to improve.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1315

I hate this because Puljujärvi is 100% with Maroon in 80 minutes which is great. Just think how awesome Maroon-McD-Puljujärvi would be, but because we are organizing the lines based on Eberle doing the least amount of damage we have to put Eberle with McD instead.

If you decide to trade Eberle then you have to decide should it be Lucic-McD-Puljujärvi or Maroon-McD-Puljujärvi.

The two players that play great no matter who they play with are McD and Puljujärvi. Since Lucic doesn't play well with RNH or Draisaitl he has to be on the first line.

Lucic-McD-Pulju (never change this line)

Poul-RNH-Kass (never change this line)

Maroon-Drais-Slepy (or new player traded for Eberle)

Lucic can't play with McD because they are only 33% together.

Organize the lines based on GF%. Eberle is the problem, he's too small and gets pushed around too much. Eberle doesn't have a good GF% with anyone except Maroon. Ebs is 53% this season and last season with McD. Puljujärvi to right of McD would do much better. Pulju plays well with everyone. Trade Eberle.

Maroon-McD-Eberle (McD needs someone fast like Pulju on the right)

Milan is 71% with McD and 55% with Ebs. Eberle is 62% with Maroon the past two seasons. To the left of McD, Maroon is at 73% which is better than Milan. To minimize the damage Eberle causes, he needs to be with Maroon. Eberle is only 28% with Draisaitl the past two seasons and 42% with RNH. As poorly as Eberle is with McD, Ebs is much worse with everyone else. Eberle is -6 this season in 12 games and his career is -57. He has the worst +/- on the team even though he played on the top line.

Pouliot-RNH-Kassian

Pouliot is 71% with RNH this season and 57% with Kassian. Kassian is 67% with RNH the past two seasons, better than Draisaitl is with RNH. Pouliot is only 33% with Draisaitl.

Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi

Leon is 67% with Puljujärvi. Lucic is only 33% with Draisaitl. Draisaitl is only 50% with Maroon. Unfortunately, I don't think Lucic and Draisaitl will ever click. Their styles are the same. Since Lucic and Draisaitl don't play well together, a change is needed.

After Eberle is traded...

Maroon-McD-Pulju (Pulju is 100% in 80 min. with Maroon and 100% with McD; also 100% with Milan)
Pouliot-RNH-Kassian
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepy (Slepy is 100% with Maroon and 100% with Draisaitl)

The stats change with every game they play...

Draisaitl doesn't play well with Lucic.

Eberle is 50% GF% with McD. That is terrible. Eberle is collapsing. McD is 71% with Lucic but only 60% with Maroon. Why is this? Maroon does a great job storming the net and they generate points, but there is the other side of the game of not giving up goals. So we have to go back to Milan on the left of McD. Jesse Puljujärvi is 100% with McD. Eberle is 50% with Maroon and 50% with Draisaitl so they make the 3rd line.

Milan is only 42% with Draisaitl.

So the first line must be Lucic-McD-Pulju

2nd line is obvious: Poul-RNH-Kass

3rd line: Maroon-Drais-Eberle

4th line: Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

This will finally satisfy me. I was tricked originally by Maroon with McD and Ebs, but that has passed. Maroon now is only 60% with McD and 50% with Ebs. Lander-Letestu-Pitlick are greater together no matter the combination at 57%. Instead of Lander and Letestu competing with each other to play on the 4th line as center they work well together. They know their role. They don't try to overdo their role.

Defense
Davidson-Larsson
Russell-Sekera
Nurse-Gryba

Klefbom is a nightmare with his +/- this season of -5 and career -32.

CF% has the best correlation to win%. Correct me for any changes you think would work better.

McD is 53% with Ebs, 54% with Milan, and 59% with Maroon. Ebs is 54% with Maroon and 54% with Milan. Puljujärvi is 44% with Milan, 57% with Maroon, and 69% with McD. So the top line should be Maroon-McD-Pulju. My intuition was right all along.

RNH is 52% with Pouliot and 50% with Kassian. Pouliot is 49% with Kassian. So the 2nd line should be Poul-RNH-Kassian.

Draisaitl is 51% with Maroon, 54% with Puljujärvi, and 49% with Milan. Eberle is 54% with Milan and 60% with Draisaitl. This is the 3rd line: Milan-Drais-Ebs.

Until something changes these should be the lines.

Maroon-McD-Pulju
Poul-RNH-Kass
Lucic-Drais-Ebs

Trade Draisaitl and Eberle because they both have the worst +/- on the team at -6 in 16 games.

The 4th line is really weak at 40% with each other. We can't get Tyler Benson, Drake Caggiula and Anton Slepyshev fast enough to replace them.

This is interesting to me because I liked how Maroon charges to the net yet GF% was 71% with McD & Lucic. I couldn't reconcile what I thought which was that Maroon was better for McD on the left. When I switched over to CF% from GF% that fact was revealed. Cool!

Archived