100% Sure this won't be the last Eberle whine

Parture

McLellan doesn't organize the lines based on CF% but some other unknown confusing method based on how he is feeling.

We have to get rid of the worst +/- players on the team: Eberle, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Kassian, Sekera, Letestu, Lander, and Nurse.

I'll watch hockey next year. There is no way the Oilers are going to make the playoffs.

There is not much difference I see in the Oilers this year than last year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno.  The Oilers are still tied for first place in the Pacific with 19 points.  Granted if the playoffs started right now you would need 17 points in the west to earn a wild card spot.  The Oilers could benefit from a weak Pacific Division.  

The East is a much different race, as the best teams with the most points are all from it.  A team would need 20 points right now to earn a Wild card spot in the East.

Forget the first games Oilers played; that was inspired by the new building and some new players on offence and defense. The real Oilers are the last several games. No way they make the playoffs as that continues more or less.

At the pace the Oilers are going they will only have 2 players with more than 50 points and only 7 players with more than 30 points. You can't do well with those results.

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I picked the Oilers as the NEXT Canadian based franchise to hoist the Stanley Cup? :ike:

Don't know WHEN it'll happen...but I say, the Oil win a Cup next BEFORE Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, AND Montreal....yes, BEFORE the flippin Canadiens!

See this thread here:

:5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Add one hard slap shot at the blue line, get rid of Nurse and Klefbom, an d

49 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn are both a -6. What worthless bums they are.:tongue:

They are worthless when it comes to defense. If I was their coach I would tell them to play more defense then their numbers will improve.

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Some of the +/- stuff will take care of itself once the team gets some actual defensemen. 

I agree. And it is accepting the players on Oilers really are that bad. The only players that give us some confidence are Lucic, McD, Maroon, Puljujärvi, Pouliot, Russell, Larsson, Davidson.

And it's all about priorities, what to get done first.

Trade Eberle -6/-57, Nurse -6/-21, and Klefbom -2/-33 for a hard slap shot defenseman. They will never be redeemable.

New Guy-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Davidson-Gryba

Using +/- as "proof" of defensive ability is rather flawed to begin with. And using career +/- of a player who has played for the Edmonton Oilers, the beacon of failure for the better part of the last decade, is even more flawed.

5 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Using +/- as "proof" of defensive ability is rather flawed to begin with. And using career +/- of a player who has played for the Edmonton Oilers, the beacon of failure for the better part of the last decade, is even more flawed.

What I do is compare the players on the team with each other. You failed to realize that. If someone is consistently at the bottom of the list of the Oilers like Letestu, Nurse, Klefbom, and Eberle then that tells me all I need to know. As the lines keep changing through the season, you get a pretty good read if yet again a player is at the bottom of the list. It also instills a mindset of the players to consider matchups that work better to produce better +/- results.

5 minutes ago, Parture said:

What I do is compare the players on the team with each other. You failed to realize that. If someone is consistently at the bottom of the list of the Oilers like Letestu, Nurse, Klefbom, and Eberle then that tells me all I need to know.

Klefbom and Nurse have what, 200 games of NHL experience between them? It sometimes takes 200+ games for defensemen to "get it". Believe me, I watched it happen with Larsson.

Eberle is probably bad defensively, but not every player on your teams needs to be. Maybe it's a little different on a team that has other good offensive players, but you seem to have a personal vendetta against him anyway.

@MadDevil

I think what is actually more telling is the guy getting the pass. 

Lucic. 

Here's a guy playing next to McJesus - - and brought in for that specific purpose - - who is a - 3 and has a whopping 9 pts.  In 17 games.  Not exactly Jari Kurri to Gretzky.  I mean, you should be able to do more than that by accident, no? 

And here's a player who has never been a minus player since his rookie year and who is on pace for his lowest full season point production in 7 years - - next to McJesus! 

Why are Lucic and McJesus getting a pass? 

Maybe the problem isn't just the individual players.  Maybe it's a virus from ownership through management and which infects the entire organization. 

But in any case, i don't give Lucic a pass next to the others.  He simply hasn't been good. 

5 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Klefbom and Nurse have what, 200 games of NHL experience between them? It sometimes takes 200+ games for defensemen to "get it". Believe me, I watched it happen with Larsson.

Eberle is probably bad defensively, but not every player on your teams needs to be. Maybe it's a little different on a team that has other good offensive players, but you seem to have a personal vendetta against him anyway.

You can tell Klefbom and Nurse are never going to be NHL material. You need this foresight. You don't have it. Klefbom in 4 years now has never had a positive +/- ratio now standing at a glorious -33 as one of the worst players on the Oilers for +/-. Nurse has never had a positive +/- in his 3 years in the NHL at -21. At some point you have to learn to let go of duds. They keep misfiring. Whereas Larsson was always positive or just barely negative. So your comparison fails.

There is no vendetta against Eberle. Just recognize what he is, a highly negative +/- player at -57 in which other players have to take up his slack. There is no way to justify a -57 player. Yes some players play more offensively and others more defensively as need be, but under no circumstance should a play so offensively that he adds -10 or -15 points every season. You can see where most of the points he gives up are when he fails to backcheck which he easily could have done. Clearly this is laziness and selfishness as he cheats up the ice.

The number 1 priority for the Oilers is to trade Eberle. You can dress the pig up all you want and it is still a pig. Trade that pig.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

@MadDevil

I think what is actually more telling is the guy getting the pass. 

Lucic. 

Here's a guy playing next to McJesus - - and brought in for that specific purpose - - who is a - 3 and has a whopping 9 pts.  In 17 games.  Not exactly Jari Kurri to Gretzky.  I mean, you should be able to do more than that by accident, no? 

And here's a player who has never been a minus player since his rookie year and who is on pace for his lowest full season point production in 7 years - - next to McJesus! 

Why are Lucic and McJesus getting a pass? 

Maybe the problem isn't just the individual players.  Maybe it's a virus from ownership through management and which infects the entire organization. 

But in any case, i don't give Lucic a pass next to the others.  He simply hasn't been good. 

If Pulju could play to the right of McD, Lucic would do much better to the left of McD. That's the right combination. The problem is Eberle on the Connor line. Eberle brings everyone down. Lucic and McD can't perform with Eberle there. Maroon struggles too with McD because of Eberle. Everything points to Eberle as the problem.

Eberle can't help it that he is a selfish ****, cheating up the ice and never backchecking. Just trade him already. Everyone agrees he has to go. The reason he doesn't even try to play defense because he knows he just gets pushed around like a rag doll. He's 181 lbs.

I don't know how the budgeting works, but they need to spend some dough on a strong slap shot defenseman. Klefbom's slapshot is so weak. Get rid of Nurse and Klefbom. If management was serious about making real changes...

Lucic-McD-Pulju

Poul-RNH-Kass

Maroon-Drais-New Guy

Lander-Letestu-Pitlick

New Guy-Larsson

Russell-Sekera

Davidson-Gryba

Not asking a lot.

1. You get rid of Klefbom and Nurse for an offenseman with good +/- to the right of Draisaitl.

2. And acquire that coveted strong slap shot defenseman by trading Eberle. I am sure someone would want Eberle's offensive skills.

Problems solved.

Defense is still the problem. Klefbom and Nurse are that problem. It's blatantly obvious. Between Nurse and Klefbom they were the direct cause of losing 6 games by giving up pucks in our zone and not clearing the puck they easily could have done. They are constantly having brain farts.

Darnell Nurse is only 21. It's possible the Oilers have already destroyed him like they destroy all their other high draft picks, but conventional wisdom is that a 21 year old defenseman isn't fully cooked yet.   Give it time.  The Oilers aren't there yet.  

Or... Mark Streit has a slap shot.  I'll trade you for Nurse.   Actually, I'll trade Streit for Eberle.   Or MacDonald, if you want younger. 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Darnell Nurse is only 21. It's possible the Oilers have already destroyed him like they destroy all their other high draft picks, but conventional wisdom is that a 21 year old defenseman isn't fully cooked yet.   Give it time.  The Oilers aren't there yet.  

Or... Mark Streit has a slap shot.  I'll trade you for Nurse.   Actually, I'll trade Streit for Eberle.   Or MacDonald, if you want younger. 

Nah, both are career minuses (Streit is a -65) and since this guy is making roster decisions based on +/- that ain't gonna fly.

Oilers are 2 points away from not making the playoffs with a fantastic start. They have no more fantastic runs to save them now. I am really appreciating how crappy the players are on the Oilers. The only player that I can something positive about are:

1) McDavid

2) Russell

3) Larsson

4) Lucic

5) Puljujärvi

6) Maroon

7) Davidson

8) Gryba

9) Pouliot

10) Pitlick

11) Lander

The other 8 players I have nothing good to say about and are totally draggin the team down:

1) Eberle (worse player of all time with a -57 and -6 this season, second only to Yak at -88)

2) Klefbom (cause of Oilers losing at least 4 games)

3) Nurse (cause of Oilers losing at least 3 games)

4) Sekera (1 goal in 46 games)

5) Letestu (-21 last season, should have been traded)

6) RNH (-36 career, hopeless)

7) Kassian (contributed to the Oilers losing at least 2 games, backing away form not taking his man)

8) Draisaitl (-6 this season and career -25, he's hopeless)

3 minutes ago, Parture said:

Oilers are 2 points away from not making the playoffs with a fantastic start.

...but hey,  they are tied for FIRST in the Pacific Division where 3 teams get a bid to the playoffs.  

Sometimes it is all on how you look at the stats.  :5726b5f801048_cooldude:

7 minutes ago, hf101 said:

...but hey,  they are tied for FIRST in the Pacific Division where 3 teams get a bid to the playoffs.  

Sometimes it is all on how you look at the stats.  :5726b5f801048_cooldude:

Will Oilers play more like they have played lately or more like their fantastic run at the beginning of the season. The former is much more likely with Oilers propensity for injuries so they are 2 points away from being under the wild card.

Sounds easily enough to achieve knowing the Oilers and the incompetency of Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish, Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan. These guys really don't know what they are doing. They have shown this over and over and over. I can see clearly the Oilers can't make the playoffs based on the current configuration.

Eberle has to be traded. There is no way the Oilers can make the playoffs with Eberle on the team because he will never backcheck. He's above that. Nurse and Klefbom will continue to contribute to many more losses by not clearing the puck from our zone.

It's all so predictable. LA Kings are going to destroy the Oilers tonight for 5 straight losses.

I'm look for some big major league screw-ups from Nurse, Klefbom and Eberle. These 3 players are notorious for their brain farts.

And I expect McLellan to change the lines around during the game at least a half a dozen times to help make the players dizzy.

On 11/16/2016 at 5:43 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I picked the Oilers as the NEXT Canadian based franchise to hoist the Stanley Cup? :ike:

Don't know WHEN it'll happen...but I say, the Oil win a Cup next BEFORE Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto, AND Montreal....yes, BEFORE the flippin Canadiens!

In the year 2573, with global warming forcing everyone to inhabit the most northern and southern regions of the globe to stay cool, Ulukhaktok will have an NHL team and be the next Canadian city to win the Stanley Cup. (Gary Bettman will still be commissioner and will get booed relentlessly upon presenting it.) ;)

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

In the year 2573, with global warming forcing everyone to inhabit the most northern and southern regions of the globe to stay cool, Ulukhaktok will have an NHL team and be the next Canadian city to win the Stanley Cup. (Gary Bettman will still be commissioner and will get booed relentlessly upon presenting it.) ;)

here is WHY Bettman will still be around...

Metal Man.jpg

25 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Alaska and NWT will get entrance into in the NHL and joins the new division the Northern Division

Archived