New 8 Year contract for Brent Burns

hf101

Just a bit more than what the Bolts gave Hedman.

Victor also got an 8 yr deal, at 7.8M per...but then, Hedman is also 6 years younger than Burns.

Burns plays a rugged tough style...hopefully that doesn't mean early diminishing returns from the player.

He is an outstanding player and was well worth keeping.

Even the 8 mil seems about what the going rate for a D-man of his caliber...but I have to question the term on a 31 yr old.

I would have thought SIX years maximum...5 years ideal.

Then again, if Burns was really wanting the 8 and the Sharkies didn't agree to that, he likely would have found another team willing to give him his 8/8.

Good signing for the Sharks now. It may bite them in the dorsal fin after year 5 or 6, but hey, those are the risks when trying to retain a high caliber player like Burns for the long haul.

Ryan Suter and Zach Parise (cap hit 7.5M each) say "Hi!" from St. Paul, Minnesota... ;)

On 2016-11-22 at 8:07 PM, yave1964 said:

Does that mean the end for Jumbo Joe and Marleau? I would have to think yes.

For Marleau? Probably. At least unless he takes a huge paycut.

They have tons of caproom, so I don't see why they would not resign Jumbo. 20+ million in caproom and the guys they don't have under contract for next year are.....Jumbo, Marleau, Donskoi, Karlsson, Wingels, Tierney, Nieto.

None of those guys are going to get 3 million + except Jumbo and possibly Marleau.

Nieto, Wingels and Karlsson are being bumped out by up and coming kids. Donskoi hasn't scored enough yet to warrant a big raise. No worries.

This is a terrific contract for a guy who would command 10 million + as a UFA. The term hurts at the backend, but that is a worry for a few years down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived