Vegas Golden Knights

hf101

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So apparently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has rejected the Vegas Golden Knights trademark.

After all the time they spent coming up with the name they didn't make absolutely sure it would go through?

:DohSmiley:

4 hours ago, MadDevil said:

So apparently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has rejected the Vegas Golden Knights trademark.

After all the time they spent coming up with the name they didn't make absolutely sure it would go through?

:DohSmiley:

How about the Paisley Knights?

Yeah, the Golden Knights are a basketball team. I'm sure they could argue that there won't be brand confusion since they are different sports, have distinctive branding, and are in different markets. I'd imagine that if you include other sports like in the example, would there be any reasonable name that isn't currently being used by someone?

Maybe this will give Bettman something else to do besides trying to turn hockey into basketball, and provide us with a franchise more laughable than the Leafs at the same time. We can always hope.... :ok:

IMO, the entire process was a cluster****.  They dragged it out for months, allowed all kinds of rumors to float around, then when they do their big "reveal" the freaking video presentation didn't work!!!

On top of that, there was a TON of confusion on whether the name was LAS VEGAS or VEGAS Golden Knights when it was announced.  The official Twitter account even had the wrong name at first, IIRC.  

Now they have trademark issues.  

It's a total embarrassment.  

Here's an excerpt from an article I just read:  This is from the 1st page of the report...

"Marks are compared in their entireties for similarities in appearance, sound, connotation, and commercial impression...

In this case, the wording “GOLDEN KNIGHTS” is the dominant portion of both the registered and applied-for marks. In the registered mark, the wording “GOLDEN KNIGHTS” appears significantly larger than the subscripted additional text. Further, the “GOLDEN KNIGHTS” wording is centered in the mark, and appears in the more stylized and distinctive typeface as compared to the remaining wording....

Marks may be confusingly similar in appearance where similar terms or phrases or similar parts of terms or phrases appear in the compared marks and create a similar overall commercial impression...

In this case, the marks share the common wording “GOLDEN KNIGHTS,” and the additional wording does not change the overall commercial impression of the marks. The wording “THE COLLEGE OF SAINT ROSE” in the registrant’s mark is presented in such a manner that consumers encountering the mark are likely to read it as a tagline; consumers will focus on the wording “GOLDEN KNIGHTS.”

Accordingly, the examining attorney finds that the marks are identical in part, sharing their most dominant and source-identifying portions, and are confusingly similar when compared in their entireties."

Essentially, the logos and stylizations are too similar. It’s baffling the NHL and Vegas didn’t go through the trademark process before announcing the name and logo last month. Yet, all is not lost. Later down, the document states the Black Knight Sports and Entertainment group “may respond to the refusal by submitting evidence and arguments in support of registration.”

Last paragraph is the author's comments from the article...Entire Link is here.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/12/7/13879416/vegas-golden-knights-trademark-application-denied-bill-foley-nhl-expansion

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't get it...there's teams with every other name in sports that are duplicated...our local team had this name before Philly had an NHL team (Cherry played his junior here)

If nobody complains, then the trademark infringement is allowed to occur. I'm assuming nobody on the Barrie Flyers filed a lawsuit against the Philadelphia Flyers. They just accepted it. 

Hate to say it but the Golden Knights (the original ones) are in the right here. That name is their intellectual property and nobody (within the same country at least) is allowed to use that same name without the permission of the existing owner. It's no different than a company starting up and calling itself Google when Google already exists. :)

All that will likely happen here is a cheque will quietly make its way from the NHL to this college and be given as compensation for the use of the name. 

Vegas Golden Knights trademark denied by U.S. government

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-golden-knights-trademark-denied-by-u-s-government-1.626523

Embedded Image

It is unclear at the moment what exactly this denial means for the franchise. Requests for comment from the NHL after normal business hours on Wednesday night were not immediately returned.

The NHL’s 31st franchise has until June 7, 2017 to respond and provide evidence as to why the government’s refusal should be withdrawn.

This latest blow comes just one week after the U.S. Army said it was “reviewing” its options to potentially contest the name, since the Army’s elite parachute team has been dubbed the Golden Knights since 1962. Those Golden Knights have set more than 350 world records and performed more than 16,000 shows around the world.

“We wanted to have the Golden Knights drop in for the ceremony, but it got kind of complicated,” owner Bill Foley told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Hear that, Bettman?

Logo denied. In fact, this whole idea is probably denied, but you just aren't hearing the masses.

But there is still time, Gary!

Nix this whole Vegas-team-in-the-desert-with-scorpions-vagabonds-and-strippers idea, package the entire kit n caboodle and send it to either Seattle or Quebec......

Even if those cities aren't quite arena ready, I am sure they can come up with a make shift plan to have the team play somewhere (the TB Lightning played in the Florida State Fairgrounds in their early years for cryin out loud...remember, Gary??), till they can get a proper arena...... in the meantime, Mr. Commissioner, you will actually look like a hero in the long run!

Do it Gary....Seattle...Quebec.....Kansas City...Hamilton (overrule those damned Leafs execs!).....cmon, Gary...I dare you...I double dare you......

Vegas logo denied is a sign from the hockey gods......:angel:

35 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hear that, Bettman?

Logo denied. In fact, this whole idea is probably denied, but you just aren't hearing the masses.

But there is still time, Gary!

Nix this whole Vegas-team-in-the-desert-with-scorpions-vagabonds-and-strippers idea, package the entire kit n caboodle and send it to either Seattle or Quebec......

Even if those cities aren't quite arena ready, I am sure they can come up with a make shift plan to have the team play somewhere (the TB Lightning played in the Florida State Fairgrounds in their early years for cryin out loud...remember, Gary??), till they can get a proper arena...... in the meantime, Mr. Commissioner, you will actually look like a hero in the long run!

Do it Gary....Seattle...Quebec.....Kansas City...Hamilton (overrule those damned Leafs execs!).....cmon, Gary...I dare you...I double dare you......

Vegas logo denied is a sign from the hockey gods......:angel:

Seattle just needs an arena. And $500M.

Quebec just needs $500M.

Kansas City just needs $500M.

Hamilton's hockey arena is 31 years old. Oh, and they need $500M.

Vegas has an arena and put up $500M.

It's not really a mystery why Vegas got a team. The other cities simply need to put up. Or shut up.

Besides, the Florida Panthers have to go somewhere ;)

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

Quebec just needs $500M.

Kansas City just needs $500M.

Vegas has an arena and put up $500M.

It's not really a mystery why Vegas got a team. The other cities simply need to put up. Or shut up.

Besides, the Florida Panthers have to go somewhere ;)

Quebec was ready to put up, including the 500m. The league deferred them.

23 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Quebec was ready to put up, including the 500m. The league deferred them.

Point. :)

I can see where the league was worried about even more unbalanced conferences (and the Habs worried about "their territory").

I also think they're looking at Florida relocation for Quebec...

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

And desire.

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

Quebec just needs $500M.

Which amounts to about $987M Canadian right about now...  :hocky:

And a new commissioner.

58 minutes ago, radoran said:

$987M Cdn.

+ New commish.

+ Approval from the Leafs and Sabres

:)

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

$987M Cdn.

+ New commish.

+ Approval from the Leafs and Sabres

:)

Yeah, I'd say that the state of the Canadian economy gave the league some pause as well (it's more like $660M CDN - current exchange rate is .76 :ok:). And that a franchise had already failed in Quebec (and it's not like it's Atlanta or something :ph34r:).

There's also no question that the Leafs and Sabres are against Hamilton. Moreover, Hamilton's Metro population is slightly smaller than Winnipeg and already has two franchises about an hour away. A second team in Tronno would make more sense.

After all, that city deserves a legitimate hockey franchise. :hocky:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Point. :)

I can see where the league was worried about even more unbalanced conferences (and the Habs worried about "their territory").

I also think they're looking at Florida relocation for Quebec...

Read a good piece about how Montreal was possibly the biggest issue. League was afraid of lost Montreal revenues not equalling out in increased revenues in QC. Also, that they wouldn't be looking at any new revenue streams, since QC fans would largely be Montreal converts.

Just now, AJgoal said:

Read a good piece about how Montreal was possibly the biggest issue. League was afraid of lost Montreal revenues not equalling out in increased revenues in QC. Also, that they wouldn't be looking at any new revenue streams, since QC fans would largely be Montreal converts.

Yeah, Montreal was publicly for it and then the vote to defer was unanimous (lol)

All I know is, the NHL better straighten this thing out.

It's bad enough I think the whole Vegas thing is not a particularly good idea....but if we have to start the 2017-18 season, and I look at the standings, and I see THIS out West:

San Jose Sharks

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames

Vancouver Canucks

Arizona Coyotes

Vegas Team #31

I am going to wear a brown paper bag as a show of complete embarrassment for the league......... BrownBag.gif

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

All I know is, the NHL better straighten this thing out.

It's bad enough I think the whole Vegas thing is not a particularly good idea....but if we have to start the 2017-18 season, and I look at the standings, and I see THIS out West:

San Jose Sharks

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames

Vancouver Canucks

Arizona Coyotes

Vegas Team #31

I am going to wear a brown paper bag as a show of complete embarrassment for the league......... BrownBag.gif

You do know that many "traditional" hockey fans feel the same way about having teams in Florida, right?

:hocky:

Since we're jumping on the not-trademarked Golden Knights, I figured this would be a good time to include this. It's from today's 'The Fourth Period" blog.    

Put aside their introductory video announcement debacle and the ridiculously embarrassing situation the Vegas Golden Knights (?) and the NHL currently find themselves in with this whole trademark rejection thingy, it appears the headaches surrounding the franchise extend way beyond their name and logo.

According to multiple sources close to the organization, almost every department outside of hockey operations has been categorized as "a mess" since the team officially took form in late-June.

Staff members have already been complaining over the club's day-to-day operations and how they are being handled, while some folks have already been let go -- I'm told one person was even publicly scolded and fired in front of a good chunk of employees.

How involved Bill Foley is on a daily basis with various divisions is unclear, but it has been indicated to me that he has been "a little too hands on," one source described.

Chalk these up to initial growing pains, for now, but the house will certainly need to get in order by the spring so the team can start preparing for its marketin

Quebec City and Hamilton aren't the only places that need a new commissioner. The whole sport does, and quite frankly, I think the fact that a hockey team is going into Las Vegas is exhibit A, considering how well Phoenix has done...

But yeah, I agree that this whole thing is becoming a total debacle. First there was the statement from the London Knights that they'd try to block the use of "Knights" in Canada, and Foley seems to be ignoring it. Now, this. Does this whole thing have a Titanic feel to anyone else?

Archived