Expansion Draft Info

hf101

I thought I'd start a thread for Reference on the Expansion Draft as per rules set forth by the NHL.

First of all the Website http://planmyteam.com/NHL  allows people to use the expansion rules, released by the NHL for player protections, to project which players could be protected by each club. Through that process, the website will also show which players could be exposed and available for the Vegas franchise to pick from.

Rules set by the NHL Website

Las Vegas will be the eighth team in the Pacific Division and the 15th team in the Western Conference. The NHL has 16 teams in the Eastern Conference.

The following rules were approved for the 2017 Expansion Draft: 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21. 

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Alignment

The Las Vegas franchise will begin play in the Pacific Division of the Western Conference in 2017-18. There will be no other changes to the NHL's alignment.

2017-18 Schedule Matrix

Each club will continue to play an 82-game schedule, with 41 home games and 41 road games.

The schedule matrix, which ensures that all teams play in all arenas at least once each season, will be adjusted to the following in 2017-18:
Eastern Conference (Atlantic and Metropolitan Divisions - 8 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 28 games
* 7 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 7 x 4 = 28 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 1 Away
* 4 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 4 x 3 = 12 games

Non-Conference: 30 games
* 15 Home / 15 Away
* 2 x 15 = 30

Western Conference (Central Division - 7 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 26 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 2 Home / 3 Away
* 4 x 4 = 16
* 1 x 5 = 5
* 1 x 5 = 5

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games
* 4 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 4 x 3 = 12 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
* 16 Home / 16 Away
* 2 x 16 = 32 games

Western Conference (Pacific Division - 8 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games
* 6 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
* 6 x 4 = 24 games
* 1 x 5 = 5 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games
* 3 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 3 x 3 = 9 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
* 16 Home / 16 Away
* 2 x 16 = 32 games

The NHL submitted to its 30 teams on Tuesday night Nov 23rd a memo, which outlines the 66 players currently considered exempt from the expansion process because of no-move clauses.  The list was finalized after the league reviewed the parameters of each individual contract with the NHL Players’ Association.   A blanket rule could not be applied to all no trade clauses because the way each of those clauses is worded.

List of Players each team must Protect as per Sportsnet

Anaheim (4)
Kevin Bieksa
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Corey Perry

Arizona (1)
Alex Goligoski

Boston (4)
David Backes
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara
David Krejci

Buffalo (1)
Kyle Okposo

Carolina (1)
Jordan Staal

Columbus (5)
Sergei Bobrovsky
David Clarkson
Brandon Dubinsky
Nick Foligno
Scott Hartnell

Chicago (8)
Artem Anisimov
Corey Crawford
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Marian Hossa
Patrick Kane
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Jonathan Toews

Colorado (2)
Francois Beauchemin
Erik Johnson

Dallas (2)
Jamie Benn
Jason Spezza

Detroit (1)
Frans Nielsen

Edmonton (3)
Milan Lucic
Andrej Sekera
Cam Talbot

Florida (1)
Keith Yandle

Los Angeles (1)
Anze Kopitar

Minnesota (4)
Mikko Koivu
Zach Parise
Jason Pominville
Ryan Suter

Montreal (2)
Jeff Petry
Carey Price

Nashville (1)
Pekka Rinne

New Jersey (1)
Ryane Clowe

N.Y. Islanders (3)
Johnny Boychuk
Andrew Ladd
John Tavares

N.Y. Rangers (4)
Dan Girardi
Henrik Lundqvist
Rick Nash
Marc Staal

Ottawa (1)
Dion Phaneuf

Philadelphia (1)
Claude Giroux

Pittsburgh (5)
Sidney Crosby
Marc-Andre Fleury
Phil Kessel
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin

Tampa Bay (4)
Ryan Callahan
Valtteri Filppula
Victor Hedman
Steven Stamkos

Toronto (1)
Nathan Horton

Vancouver (3)
Loui Eriksson
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin

Winnipeg (2)
Dustin Byfuglien
Toby Enstrom

---

Teams without any players that they’re required to protect: Calgary, San Jose, St. Louis, Washington.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

It's been drilled out of Flyer fans genes.

I disagree because that would suggest it was THERE to begin with and i don't think it is the case...it is like the Yeti...it doesn't exist just urban legend...

@hf101

Also i didn't see this covered but they also have to select 3 goalies, 12 D men and 15 forwards so a lot to consider when making selections i say...

Flyers not listed in the "must protect" post. Giroux should be the only one.

Did they eliminate the rule about teams being required to expose a minimum percentage of their total cap hit?

On 11/24/2016 at 11:01 AM, AJgoal said:

Flyers not listed in the "must protect" post. Giroux should be the only one.

Did they eliminate the rule about teams being required to expose a minimum percentage of their total cap hit?

They should be able to cover the minimum by exposing Mcdud, Read and Raffl i think.

6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just a guess, but Mr.Read, pack your bags, hope you like Vegas.

As I mentioned in another thread...if he continues to play well I'm trading him at the deadline. He may still end up in Vegas, but at least we get a 2nd out of it.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

As I mentioned in another thread...if he continues to play well I'm trading him at the deadline. He may still end up in Vegas, but at least we get a 2nd out of it.

I just think the first 20 games or so were an anomaly. Matt will slow down considerably, and make it tough to move him, even at the deadline when the salary basically is a moot point. I'm all for a 2nd, and hope he can come close to maintaining this pace, I just view it as a tad unrealistic. He has basically sucked large for a few years since signing this 3 year deal. I used to think/hope  he was a nice speed and decent pt producer for the bottom six, but he has been a disappointment.

I expect Tyler Leier to be a much better option next year, at least he will be a leading candidate to replace him in the line up. Tyler has enough offense and a very nice defensive game and I believe he will be a Hakstol favourite sooner than later.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I just think the first 20 games or so were an anomaly. Matt will slow down considerably, and make it tough to move him, even at the deadline when the salary basically is a moot point. I'm all for a 2nd, and hope he can come close to maintaining this pace, I just view it as a tad unrealistic. He has basically sucked large for a few years since signing this 3 year deal. I used to think/hope  he was a nice speed and decent pt producer for the bottom six, but he has been a disappointment.

I expect Tyler Leier to be a much better option next year, at least he will be a leading candidate to replace him in the line up. Tyler has enough offense and a very nice defensive game and I believe he will be a Hakstol favourite sooner than later.

If Read slows down (and he has) then I really don't see Vegas taking him ) I'd take Laughton, Cousins or Manning if I was them...at least there's some upside). If he plays well, i could see them wanting him...but I'd deal him first. 

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If Read slows down (and he has) then I really don't see Vegas taking him ) I'd take Laughton, Cousins or Manning if I was them...at least there's some upside). If he plays well, i could see them wanting him...but I'd deal him first. 

I could see any of those 3 being interesting to Vegas. The most intriguing for Vegas would have to be Manning. The kid has really grown by leaps and bounds. Way more confident this season. He's making much better decisions with the puck, very crisp and clean break out passes, into very tight spots I might add....he's doing stuff that he could literally not do last year. I think he worked his butt off in the past off season, and it shows on the ice. He would fit into what Vegas is trying to accomplish, cheap, upside and not a long term deal, so also has the flexibility to boot.

Plus, d-men who are decent and have NHL experience do not grow on trees, they could trade him for goals and or a draft pick. That's part of the reason that Vegas should target a few more d-men than forwards (after they reach the threshold necessary for both forwards and d-men). D-men are much more valuable trading pieces.

I have not sat down and done the math on who Philly might expose, but I would take Laughts and Cousins over Raffl....and if I had a gun to my head, begrudgingly Cousins over Laughton. Although, the rest of the year, Cousins and Laughts might indeed be playing for one of the last roster spots. It's a good reason to keep Laughton up and have a legit competition going forward. 

On 11/27/2016 at 1:09 PM, jammer2 said:

I have not sat down and done the math on who Philly might expose, but I would take Laughts and Cousins over Raffl....and if I had a gun to my head, begrudgingly Cousins over Laughton. Although, the rest of the year, Cousins and Laughts might indeed be playing for one of the last roster spots. It's a good reason to keep Laughton up and have a legit competition going forward. 

What about Schenn.  Boy is he pissing me off lately.......

• 1 month later...

As I read this (crosses eyes) Vegas MUST pick one player from each team - and ONLY one. Is that correct?

From the list of players provided by the teams? Right?

Seems to me that where we're really getting screwed is in the regular draft. No worse than 6th? Rape. Pillage.

Vegas picks 3rd in EVERY OTHER round?? And they can't even put together a presentation? Good grief.

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

As I read this (crosses eyes) Vegas MUST pick one player from each team - and ONLY one. Is that correct?

From the list of players provided by the teams? Right?

Yes they pick one player from each team.

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Seems to me that where we're really getting screwed is in the regular draft. No worse than 6th? Rape. Pillage.

Vegas picks 3rd in EVERY OTHER round?? And they can't even put together a presentation? Good grief.

Who's getting screwed? The Leafs?

You know who really got screwed? The teams that legitimately try to win games, but end up near the bottom anyway...and pick after tanking teams.

?? No, the teams who would have normally had those picks. I'm not sure I get where you're coming from? Are you saying you don't mind dropping from 3rd pick to 4th so Vegas can have a better player? 

44 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

?? No, the teams who would have normally had those picks. I'm not sure I get where you're coming from? Are you saying you don't mind dropping from 3rd pick to 4th so Vegas can have a better player? 

It happens when there's expansion. 

And it's a lot more legit way than teams actually trying to put an inferior product on the ice to get higher picks.

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2016 at 8:02 AM, hf101 said:

I thought I'd start a thread for Reference on the Expansion Draft as per rules set forth by the NHL.

First of all the Website http://planmyteam.com/NHL  allows people to use the expansion rules, released by the NHL for player protections, to project which players could be protected by each club. Through that process, the website will also show which players could be exposed and available for the Vegas franchise to pick from.

Rules set by the NHL Website

You just gotta read this amazing Mock Expansion Draft by hockeywriters.com ....LOL, these trades are CRAZY!!  If it's even half as exciting as this sucker, we are in for a wild ride. What a FUN article!!

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-mock-expansion-draft/

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

You just gotta read this amazing Mock Expansion Draft by hockeywriters.com ....LOL, these trades are CRAZY!!  If it's even half as exciting as this sucker, we are in for a wild ride. What a FUN article!!

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-mock-expansion-draft/

Yeah I read that, excellent work.  We haven't gotten to the point yet to render trades, but hey someday...  :smileyandcomputer:

I found doing the draft last year to be a blast. I chose Rubistov for the Canes which was the pick right before the Flyers last year when Hexy chose him.

As a sidenote, something coming this summer in new software for the site will be something called "Clubs"  -- more on this later, but one club I wish to form for this site is a group of members who wish to work together for projects like this, maybe trade- wars deadline and anything else we come up with to provide unique content for this site.

18 hours ago, hf101 said:

As a sidenote, something coming this summer in new software for the site will be something called "Clubs"  -- more on this later, but one club I wish to form for this site is a group of members who wish to work together for projects like this, maybe trade- wars deadline and anything else we come up with to provide unique content for this site.

I've been kicking around this idea of taking each teams top 10 best players ever and have a daily showdown, the winner advances and eventually, the community could reach a consensus on that franchices best ever player. Posters could vote and give reasons why player A is better than player B etc....

Of course, age would be a factor. For instance, the Brindy teams for the Flyers may outrank the cup winners due to younger posters ect. 

Montreal would be tough, same as the Oilers and  NYI. Some teams would have a foregone conclusion like Gretzky for the Oil, but it would be fun to see who advances against him....just a thought.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I've been kicking around this idea of taking each teams top 10 best players ever and have a daily showdown, the winner advances and eventually, the community could reach a consensus on that franchices best ever player. Posters could vote and give reasons why player A is better than player B etc....

Of course, age would be a factor. For instance, the Brindy teams for the Flyers may outrank the cup winners due to younger posters ect. 

Montreal would be tough, same as the Oilers and  NYI. Some teams would have a foregone conclusion like Gretzky for the Oil, but it would be fun to see who advances against him....just a thought.

I think we could do this during the summer this year after July 1.   good idea!

• hf101 unpinned this topic

Archived