Flyers vs. Senators, 7/1/2012

Guest brelic

From Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-1712-vs-Senators/45/41114

PREVIEW 11 PM (1/6/12)

Looking to move back within four points of the Atlantic Division lead, the Flyers (23-14-1) open a home-and-home set with an Ottawa Senators (21-15-5) club that has shown tremendous improvement in the time since Philly blew them out early in the season. The matinee game starts at 1 PM EST and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philly.

This is the second of four meetings between the teams. On Oct. 18, the Flyers traveled to Ottawa and humiliated the Senators, 7-2. Matt Read (1G, 3A) had the best night of his young career and 15 different Flyers -- including every forward except Danny Briere -- registered at last one point. Sean Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk each scored the first goals of their NHL careers, and Philly also got goals from Claude Giroux, Max Talbot and James van Riemsdyk.

Philly enters this game coming off a fast-paced 5-4 win over the Chicago Blackhawks. The Flyers rallied back from deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 to grab a seemingly commanding 4-2 lead but quick back-to-back goals by Chicago tied the game until a last minute goal by JVR rescued the two points for Philadelphia. Overall, the Flyers are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.

Ottawa has recovered from its awful start to the season to work itself in possible playoff contention as the season nears the midway point. The club has won 7 of its last 10 games but is about to enter a challenging segment of the season that will see the Senators play nine of its next 11 games on the road. The Sens' season numbers in GAA (3.27), power play percentage (17.5 percent) and penalty killing (79.9 percent) may not look very good but are still a bit skewed by October. Ottawa has been potent offensively at five-on-five.

Flyers coach Peter Laviolette acknowledged at practice that he is aware of the potential for a letdown now that the Winter Classic and its marquee bookend games against the Penguins and Blackhawks are done. He reminded his club today that the Senators have played quite well lately and have their fair share of talent on the roster (perhaps not worthy of four All-Star Game starters, but nevertheless some very good players).

On the injury front, Kimmo Timonen (left wrist injury) has NOT totally been ruled out for this weekend but it still seems more likely than not that he misses a little bit of time. He did not participate in Friday's practice. Jaromir Jagr (groin) did practice with the team, although he did not take reps with his linemates. He said after practice that there's a chance he plays on Sunday in Ottawa but would not play in this game.

The Flyers placed Matt Walker on waivers on Friday. Erik Gustafsson, who played in the AHL's Outdoor Classic at Citizens Bank Park, reported after the game that he has not heard from the Flyers about a callup but is "feeling like myself again" after rehabbing following wrist surgery. Gustafsson still played with his wrist taped, but not heavily so.

As usual, there is no official word on the Flyers' starting goaltender a day in advance of the game. However, it appears more likely that Ilya Bryzgalov will get the start in the first game of the home-and-home.

For the Sens, defensive defenseman Chris Phillips is scheduled to return to the lineup from a concussion. Forwards Peter Regin (shoulder) and Jesse Winchester (concussion) are out.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Read

Talbot - Briere - Voracek

JVR - Schenn - Simmonds

Zolnierczyk - Couturier - Rinaldo

Coburn - ???

Carle - Bourdon

Lilja - Meszaros

Bryzgalov/Bobrovsky

SENATORS

Greening - Spezza - Michalek

Condra - Turris - Alfredsson

Foligno - Smith - Butler

Daugavins - Konopka - Neil

Phillips - Karlsson

Gonchar - Cowen

Kuba - Carkner

Anderson

[Auld]

Gus says he's ready to go if the Flyers need him:

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/2012/01/06/gustafsson-ready-if-flyers-need-him/

I wonder what they're waiting for... maybe to see whether or not Walker clears waivers? Either way, Walker could still play this afternoon if he clears, or be sent down and Gus brought in. Guess we'll find out in a few hours ;)

@brelic

They are at the roster limit of 23 players, at noon we should know if Walker clears. If he does they will send him down and recall Gus.

I think it might be the opposite... if he's claimed, Gus will play, but if he clears, Walker will stay with the club and play a few games until they're clearer on Timo's status.

Half way through the season they have 50 points. If they play .500 hockey for the 2nd half that gives them about 90-95pts.

8th spot in the conference over the past few years:

2011 - 93

2010 - 88

2009 - 93

2008 - 94

At what point do they give up trying to get Bryz out of his funk and start rotating them to play the hot goalie to pick up much needed points? All-star break? March?

5-4-1 in their last 10. (3 wins in the last 8)

why in gods name can't these canadian teams brodcast in HD?

Center Ice? I hated that when I had center ice. Went to GameCenter this year. Get to see less games because of blackout but get HD or real near HD for a lot of broadcasts because I can get Comcast feeds.

Half way through the season they have 50 points. If they play .500 hockey for the 2nd half that gives them about 90-95pts

weell, one, they aren't actually halfway through the season yet, are they? today is game 39, unless my math is really off. two, they were way above .500 for the first half, why are we now assuming .500 the rest of the way? glass is half full: 3rd in the east (by point total) and 7th in the league, with games in hand on 3 of those ahead of them.

Refs really suck so far, but we can't get caught up in revenge yet...need the lead.

If anything they got worse as the game progressed. Did they call that elbow to JVR's melon? Nope. Briere getting his head ripped off behind the play? Nope. Timonen getting crosschecked and then molested? Nuh uh. Even when they gave the Flyers the power play, on at least three occasions they blew the whistle while the Flyers had possession.

Hopefully Condra gets his ass handed to him tomorrow, unless Shanahan steps in.

Bryz played a pretty good game, making saves has to work on rebound control. Sens tried to go high on him, Bryz actually made the save. Starting to look up for him. I can't see Homer going with Lilja and Bourdon into the p/o's, two t/o machines. Awesome game by Briere.

weell, one, they aren't actually halfway through the season yet, are they? today is game 39, unless my math is really off. two, they were way above .500 for the first half, why are we now assuming .500 the rest of the way? glass is half full: 3rd in the east (by point total) and 7th in the league, with games in hand on 3 of those ahead of them.

Alright so, now 3 games from the mid point. A little premature. I was rounding up.

With Bryz playing the way he is (minus today's game) it's not inconceivable that they go .500.

Games are going to get tough & more games against EC teams & division games.

My questions was more about if the goaltending circus continues on for another month, at what point does Lavy start playing the hot goalie.

I guess my glass was half empty this morning. Feeling better this afternoon thanks to a guy named Danny.

one of my favorite fight vids... just gotta love the editing going from fight to fight almost seamless and Metallica on top of that to boot. not sure how you put that one together better.

There is one with flyers announcers but I couldn't find it.