Whatever Happened to Goal Sirens?

WordsOfWisdom

In all seriousness though, yea, most rinks all have that 'copycat' feel.

Similar goal horns, similar music, similar light show...etc...

I think teams, in addition to trying to make their goal sounds (whether horn, siren, or screaming chicken) stand out, should do the same with music played and strobe light displays.

Bad enough we have about 30 NHL arenas all named after corporations (booooooring), but now we have all by-the-numbers sights n sounds.

• Like 4

I really like when arenas have to put up "make noise' on the Jumbotron. 

WTF ever happened to just enjoying the game...now people need all these other distractions to keep them occupied. 

Strobe lights, flash pots, dry ice, bad music...if I wanted that I'd go see Kiss.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

By the way, I believe those are train horns. Really, WOW you are soooo east coast. Are you from Cornwall or some other eastern city??  :canada:

I'm not sure where you're hearing a train, but I'd get off the track.  LOL   The only thing I ever hear is a cargo ship (boat) horn.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Have you noticed that all 30 NHL teams use a boat horn sound effect when a goal is scored?

Whatever happened to goal sirens?  

I'm not sure I was thrilled with it at the time, but now I really miss the old Whalers' goal song thing at the old Hartford Civic Center. (no bank, cable or power company, airline or fruit juice sponsor name).

31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure I was thrilled with it at the time, but now I really miss the old Whalers' goal song thing at the old Hartford Civic Center. (no bank, cable or power company, airline or fruit juice sponsor name).

It's vague for me, being I was still quite young, but I sorta wish we could get back to arena names that had a bit of 'flair' to them.....or just something no nonsense like the bolded.

I seem to recall The Igloo in Pittsburgh

The Ice Palace in Tampa Bay

The Aud in Buffalo

Boston Gardens in (duh) Boston

The Mall in Hartford (I think this was after the Civic Center)

Maple Leaf Gardens

Obviously, due to corporate involvement, we will no longer be seeing colorful names like the above.

The Shark Tank in SJ and The Pond in Anaheim I think TECHNICALLY still exist, but those awesome nicknames simply aren't used anymore in favor of the bland SAP Center and Honda Center dis-respectively. :)

And now, with the Red Wings going to a new arena, The Joe will be gone....

Anyways, sorry to have gotten a bit off track here, but the same way all these arenas and names have all become all 'same ol, same ol', I believe the goal horns and ensuing music has followed suit.

Some arenas still have some nice touches though, such as "Saints Go Marching In" when the Blues score, or "Let's Go Crazy" when the Wild scores, but not ENOUGH of that sort of thing is done league wide.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

I think in Philly they should have a new goal song that everyone sings.  To the tune of "Here Comes Santa Claus,"  have'em sing "We hate Santa Claus, pelt old santa claus, with hard ice-packed snow balls.  We hate Santa Claus, beat old Santa Claus, stomp on his old face..."

Yeah, that's Philly.  That'd be good.  Forget the stupid tug boats.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think in Philly they should have a new goal song that everyone sings.  To the tune of "Here Comes Santa Claus,"  have'em sing "We hate Santa Claus, pelt old santa claus, with hard ice-packed snow balls.  We hate Santa Claus, beat old Santa Claus, stomp on his old face..."

Yeah, that's Philly.  That'd be good.  Forget the stupid tug boats.

Flyers new goal song sucks. -- worst ever.  I just wish they'd use the  Orange and Black as at the 2.22 min mark of this video

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Flyers new goal song sucks. -- worst ever.  I just wish they'd use the  Orange and Black as at the 2.22 min mark of this video

God that was horrendous.

I don't like any of it.  Even the orange and the black.  Here's an idea:   Have the horn or the siren or whatever, and let the people just cheer the fact we scored a goal.     I really don't think any of that recording actually increases any celebration, does it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

By the way, I believe those are train horns. Really, WOW you are soooo east coast. Are you from Cornwall or some other eastern city??  :canada:

I guess it could be a train horn as well. My bad! :)

Somehow I think the switch from siren to horn was because the horn is louder and more obnoxious sounding. Or at least, it's more annoying and more loud right away while the siren delays obnoxious gratification for a second or two while it spools up.  

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

God that was horrendous.

I don't like any of it.  Even the orange and the black.  Here's an idea:   Have the horn or the siren or whatever, and let the people just cheer the fact we scored a goal.     I really don't think any of that recording actually increases any celebration, does it?

The Chicken dance is usually good - mainly because we have scored 4 goals.  But at the games the last one that was good from a crowd cheering perspective was this one from a couple of years ago which could at least allow the crowd to clap to a steady beat.  

@hf101

I like Nashville's too...horn and music.....cept when the YOU SUCK, YOU SUCK, WE GONNA BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOU, YOU SUCK chant starts going.

I get the whole "Smashville" and aggressive thing, but that is just downright obnoxious.

And yea, let's have little Jimmy go home from a hockey game yelling "We gonna beat the hell out of you".....and then he takes it to school...........where he promptly gets the HELL beat out of him....

• Like 2