Hockey's new worst organization

yave1964

Congratulations to the AvalancheImage result for colorado avalanche suck for standing up to some stiff competition from around the league and forcing your way to the top (bottom) as the leagues worst organization.

It started, in my opinion with the deal of Ryan O'Reilly to the Sabres. Now don't get me wrong, from everything I have read O'Reilly is probably a pain in the ass for an organization but he can flat out play, the Sabres hoisted a couple of prospects whom the 'Lanche drooled over, Grigorenko and Zadorov both of whom are struggling mightily and frankly will never be much of anything while O'Reilly is a calming down the middle presence that the Avalanche could desperately need.

th?&id=OIP.Ma12b24fbdddb757b9980614f52b8(Last known Avalanche highlight)

Patrick Freaking Roy (as a Wings fan I still have a hard time writing his name without adding the freaking part) simply walked off the job as in I quit, I know there are only 30 of these jobs at the top level and this is my team and all but you guys suck good luck and goodbye. He has been begging, screaming, throwing a fit, holding his breath until he is blue for a defenseman who can you know, play defense for two years now they kept bringing in Beauchimin and Tyutin or whatever Bluejacket retread they could get and added Gelinas to the blueline who is more of a forward than a defenseman and a really bad one at that. Barrie is a 4th forward stuck on defense, Johnson cannot stay healthy and is a good second pairing guy playing 25 minutes a night because of lack of talent around him.

The Avalanche right now are on pace to be the lowest scoring team in the league and to give up the most goals in the league. I really cannot remember the last time that happened, if ever.

th?&id=OIP.M78920318f9ecb1b090c088372fbd (photo of Avalanche celebrating Varlamov making a rare save)

Varlamov is not any good but it does not matter, he faces 40 shots a night way too often. And Pickard? Please, I watched him with the Monsters for several years, he is not an NHL goalie on the best day of his life.

MacKinnon is still trying, Duchene too. Trying to get traded at the deadline that is, both are playing their hearts out. Beyond that and a surprising Rene Bourque who has 9 goals nobody else among the forwards looks like they care to be out there on a nightly basis. And Bourque is minus 11 which is awful but that just makes him one of six Avalanche players who are double digits in the minus category, and we are 30 games into the season. Somehow Tyson Barrie is a minus 18, not certain exactly how that is possible but he is. Beauchemin leads the team in plus/minus at zero, every single player on the team excepting him is a minus player. Every. Single. One.

Rumor is that Jerome Iginla is still playing somewhere out in Colorado but he has not been seen yet this season. Except payday of course. Mikko Rantanen was supposed to be the offensive savior of the team but the kid is so awful five on five even for this bunch that they hide him the best they can and then try to wheel him out on the power play. This years big free agent signing was, drum role please, joe Colborne who has managed 3 goals so far this year. And Landeskog has a whopping 4 goals in 20 games played as he continues to flame out on what was once a promising career.

So Joe Sakic is proving to be an inferior copy of Steve Yzerman (again) and the team is a mess, which may be the understatement of the year. And it is going to get worse before it gets better. a proud franchise in ruins, but at least they have legal marijuana.

Let's face it...Quebec built that franchise, and their draft history since that time has been pretty lame. Sure they got McKinnon/Landeskog/Duchene when they were picking top 3, but picking top 3 doesn't take a genius to get quality.

Maybe it's time to go back to Quebec. 

This franchise, over the last 5 or 6 years, is a CLASSIC example "aberration".

What I mean is, since 2010, the team has won one division title.

While that in itself isn't horrible (lots of teams haven't even won that in the same span), what's really jarring is, aside from that one season, the Avs didn't qualify for the playoffs....and it was never even close!

And I recall quite vividly the year the 'Lanche won the division, how much praise people were heaping on the team.

All along, I smelled a red herring and was one of the few people who DIDN'T think the Wild beating them in 1st round that year was an upset.

Avs played over their heads that year and have shown themselves to be what they truly are ever since: an individually talented bottom feeder, with absolutely NO CLUE how to best cultivate and utilize its best players.

Coaching carousels, a crybaby captain, seemingly no team structure, not keeping the RIGHT players, and a goalie more interested in beating his girlfriend instead of the team across the ice......oh yea, formula for a winning organization right there! 

I've always like Joe Sakic as a player.

But as a GM (whether through his own doing or not....and let's face it, the GM gets full marks but also the blame when his franchise stinks as a whole), he leaves much to be desired.

Maybe Mr. Sakic needs to reach a bit beyond his circle of friends and find some real no nonsense hockey people to run the team......and if that means trading out players (though talented) who aren't helping the cause, then so be it.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Patrick Freaking Roy (as a Wings fan I still have a hard time writing his name without adding the freaking part) simply walked off the job as in I quit, I know there are only 30 of these jobs at the top level and this is my team and all but you guys suck good luck and goodbye.

The guy certainly knows a loser when he sees one. First Montreal, and now Colorado. It's refreshing how he removes himself from the situation. You don't win 4 Stanley Cups by wasting years with an organization that doesn't know which way is up. :)

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The guy certainly knows a loser when he sees one. First Montreal, and now Colorado. It's refreshing how he removes himself from the situation. You don't win 4 Stanley Cups by wasting years with an organization that doesn't know which way is up. :)

So that's why he's never latched on to Toronto. Makes sense. :hocky:  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

So that's why he's never latched on to Toronto. Makes sense. :hocky:  :ph34r:

If I had to make a list of hockey's worst organizations, it would be:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  2. Winnipeg Jets
  3. New York Islanders
  4. Edmonton Oilers
  5. Arizona Coyotes

I think Colorado still has a ways to go before they can crack the elite top 5. Colorado still makes the playoffs too often, still has players that want to be there, and they've won two Cups in my lifetime. They're a dynasty compared to the teams in my list. :)

They made the postseason once in the past six seasons and were dispatched easily in the first round.

The iconic face (mask?) of the franchise quit right before the season started.

They have nothing down on the farm that is close to helping them either now or in the future. A barren farm system.

No defensemen. Seriously, none. Okay maybe Beauchemin but anyone who thinks that he is the answer don't know the question.

three good young forwards but all are starting to erode.

Varly is on the short list of worst starting goalies in the league and they gave up a first for him.

At their current pace they will finish last in scoring and give up the leagues most goals as well.

Worst organization in Hockey. On your list I would say that Edmonton and Toronto have turned a corner, that the Coyotes are finally getting it together and Winnipeg is a solid mid level team. The Islanders? Yeah I believe they are wretched and would likely rank them and Vancouver right behind the Avalanche but Colorado, good lord are they bad.

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  2. Winnipeg Jets
  3. New York Islanders
  4. Edmonton Oilers
  5. Arizona Coyotes

Why Winnipeg? 

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Why Winnipeg? 

Until they do something in the playoffs (anything of significance), I just can't bump them off my list. They need a championship, or they need to at least get close to a championship. The Jets are seldom competitive (usually missing the playoffs), and on the odd occasions when they do make the playoffs, they never accomplish anything. They would be #1 on my list if not for the Kings of ineptitude: the Leafs. :(

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Worst organization in Hockey. On your list I would say that Edmonton and Toronto have turned a corner, that the Coyotes are finally getting it together and Winnipeg is a solid mid level team. The Islanders? Yeah I believe they are wretched and would likely rank them and Vancouver right behind the Avalanche but Colorado, good lord are they bad.

Agree with all the stuff you said, and if they miss the playoffs for another five years, and continue to finish at or near the bottom of the West, I will flip Colorado with Edmonton and New York (Islanders) on my list. :)

Colorado might be the worst at the present moment, but they built up a lot of goodwill in the 90's and early 2000's. They were an elite franchise for so long with exceptional star power that I still haven't become used to seeing them at the bottom yet. They're only halfway to what the Oilers and Leafs have "accomplished" recently. ;)

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Was that a set play for crowd entertainment?  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I was watching the game as this unfolded, and obviously, while an accident, if one didn't know better, Duchene sure looked like he was lining up his own teammate.

Maybe he is trying to get traded.... ;)

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I was watching the game as this unfolded, and obviously, while an accident, if one didn't know better, Duchene sure looked like he was lining up his own teammate.

Maybe he is trying to get traded.... ;)

He was just sending a message to the other team....

...if i'll do this to a team mate imagine what i'll do to you!!!!

No?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He was just sending a message to the other team....

...if i'll do this to a team mate imagine what i'll do to you!!!!

No?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Well, I WOULD believe that.....if the Avalanche aren't, and continue to be so, damned horrible on the ice....

On 12/19/2016 at 5:58 AM, yave1964 said:

So Joe Sakic is proving to be an inferior copy of Steve Yzerman (again) and the team is a mess,

HA  HA....spoken like a true Wings fan. Interesting you are pointing out how very bad the Ave's are, cause if it were not for the Wings, they would have never won the Cup. Wings don't blow out the Habs that fateful day, Roy never asks for a trade...Ave's never win. At least that is the way I saw it unfolding.

On 12/19/2016 at 9:36 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  2. Winnipeg Jets
  3. New York Islanders
  4. Edmonton Oilers
  5. Arizona Coyotes

Since the Leafs have actually won 4 straight games and seem to be heading in a tremendous upward trajectory, I'll amend my list:

1. Winnipeg Jets
  2. New York Islanders
  3. Edmonton Oilers
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. Arizona Coyotes

(Colorado might be 6th let's say.)

:thumbsu:

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Since the Leafs have actually won 4 straight games and seem to be heading in a tremendous upward trajectory, I'll amend my list:

1. Winnipeg Jets
  2. New York Islanders
  3. Edmonton Oilers
  4. Toronto Maple Leafs
  5. Arizona Coyotes

(Colorado might be 6th let's say.)

:thumbsu:

As with others, I disagree with your Winnipeg selection. No way they top the list. They may be on it, but worse than the Islanders?!

I also think Toronto should be 5 and Arizona 4 at this point. Toronto has hope. What does Arizona have?

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

As with others, I disagree with your Winnipeg selection. No way they top the list. They may be on it, but worse than the Islanders?!

Hmmm. :thinking: I hesitate to put the Oilers or Islanders on top of the list because of their dynasty years in the 80's. 

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

I also think Toronto should be 5 and Arizona 4 at this point. Toronto has hope. What does Arizona have?

Many Auston Matthews fans that can now cheer for the Leafs?  :dancing:  

Archived